• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

The old safety was extremely tough to push this one is a piece of cake....lots of leverage.

I need to see if they make one for an 835. I like that. Mine is actually in need of replacing. it has a slight crack in it.

The safeties are all the same for the 500, 590, 835, 930, etc. I have the ETA safety on my 930 SPX and it is awesome! :D
DSC00854.jpg

I have the Quake extended safety on my 835 and 500 and a 590 that I used to have. I got them from Brownells a long time ago. They are plastic and I have had no problems out of them, but will probably replace them both with the ETA. I can't find anything on the Quake safety, so I am not sure they are still being sold.

Replacing a Safety Block -Problems

Greetings All !!
Replacing a complete safety assy on a Mossberg 500 ATP-6. The Safety Button , Safety Screw and Safety Block went missing. I have all the new parts and they are assembled as per the directions. My Problem is the gun will not fire with the safety in either position. Ive removed and replaced them about 5 times. No change, I am getting a shiny spot on the bottom on the safety block from the safety lever.
Can anybody help ?? :?:

Re: Replacing a Safety Block -Problems

Thanks for the reply but this dosent help. I read this article and it covers everything EXCEPT MY problem. I am doing a side by side comparison to my new ATP-8 and the whole trigger group looks different! Still looking for help !

At first blush it kinda sounds like you got the safety block in back wards. Yes you can get them in backwards! Without being able to physically look at what you got going on, I have a hard time diagnosing whats at issue. So the above is my best guess.

Question how did the parts go missing? I always have extra parts left over when I'm done! Just kidding! :lol:

Gunner said:
At first blush it kinda sounds like you got the safety block in back wards. Yes you can get them in backwards! Without being able to physically look at what you got going on, I have a hard time diagnosing whats at issue. So the above is my best guess.

Question how did the parts go missing? I always have extra parts left over when I'm done! Just kidding! :lol:

+100
The safety can be put in backwards. Been there done that :shock: but only once :cool:
I think that the OP may have resolved his problem since he has not been back here to this thread in a couple of days.

LTB45,
Wow!
Thats a big ol safety button! I knew they were oversize, but didn't have a frame of reference until I saw the photo. Looks good in a large way!

What is nice about the mossberg is the options that are available.

Funny that this thread should come back to life today.
I just got back from shooting Skeet with one of my other 500's that still has the factory stock, safety on it.

WHAT A P.I.A it is compared to my ETA safety.
Time to place another order!

I've drawn the conclusion that anything is better than the cheap plastic safety button the Mossberg comes with. I can live it, and have, but there are so many options out there that one has to ask why, when better is available.

LBT45, if you decide to put an ETA on your 500E you'll have to post a picture.

Gunner said:
I've drawn the conclusion that anything is better than the cheap plastic safety button the Mossberg comes with. I can live it, and have, but there are so many options out there that one has to ask why, when better is available.
I agree 100%

Gunner said:
LBT45, if you decide to put an ETA on your 500E you'll have to post a picture.
If I did, it would be the same width as the receiver. I will have to check to see if it will even fit.
If do decide to hunt with the gun, it just may need one and I will definately post up pics.

Same width as the receiver WOW!

I believe most aftermarket safties are set up for the 500/590, which leaves the 500E's out in the cold. The brownells works but has to be reveresed because the hump breaks the sight plane. There is not a lot of room between the safety and the top of the receiver on a 500E. Which means the ETA and VANG may have too high a profile for the 500E. Rats! :)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread just to say thanks for all the info.

I decided on the ETA because I have a KickLite pistol grip stock on my 590A1 and the OEM safety was about impossible to use effectively with that stock. Installed the ETA today and it is fantastic compared to the OEM safety. I actually feel comfortable with the KickLite stock installed and being able to use the safety with relative ease.

photobucket-19696-1345345994907.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.

Gunner said:

Funny you say that...first time shooting my 500 with the Brownell's metal safety this past weekend, and after the 8th winchester SuperX 3" 00 buck, there were metal parts rattling around inside my buttstock (synthetic, obviously). WTF? :?:

Had a screwdriver on me, so I took the rubber pad off, and out came a spare washer and lock washer that go under the bolt that holds the stock on. Both of those pieces were in place under the head of the bolt. All I can think is that they were extras that must have been put in there at OFM and got stuck in the webbing, until the Zeus cannon knocked them loose. :lol:

Still sort of embarrassing, though. At least it wasn't as bad as my Colt...it jammed, and I mean JAMMED, nothing would work or move on it, thankfully nothing in the chamber so I put it in the case of shame and was "forced" to shoot the Mossy more.

Oh yeah, and the Brownell's safety engages so much more positively than the stock...I feel this is a great upgrade, especially considering the relatively low cost.

I don't even have my thunder ranch yet but ordered the brownells, well the one almost identical to it. Brownells has been back ordered for a while so I got this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110832035350?_t ... 97.c0.m619

talked the guy selling them and he said he got tired of waiting for brownells so he sourced them elsewhere... I believe it.. it's not like brownells makes theirs anyways..

It was $5 cheaper too.

Can't wait to get my gun so I can put the stuff on it!

-Nigel

Just got the new ETA safety. I have to say it is much better than stock, and has great feel. If you have big hand or wear gloves to shoot i would check this one out

Back