• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW MOSSBERG "DEER THUG"

Itsricmo

.30-06
Decided to visit Mossberg's site today to look around and see if they introduced anything new.... and WAH-BAM! New Site layout and new Rifle model!

It is called the "Deer Thug" - an extension of the ATR family of Mossberg's rifles
Chambered in: .243, .270 and 30-06
Barrel: 22" Fluted (looks like a medium bull or heavy sporter)
with a stock that is camo and has "Deer Thugs" on it lol

Excited :) Might be nice

http://mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt ... ies/27179/

Looks cool!

New site is weird... Dont like the way you have to select firearms. You cant just see the models, you have to enter your criteria first and it will bring up one model at a time, then clear your search and start again to see another model.

Pretty nice looking gun.

They must have just changed their site. I was just there a couple days ago, I'm not really digging the new layout. Maybe it will grow on me.

I like the new gun, fluting is always nice! lol

I just like the new layout because it is new! Mossberg looks a little more up to date now haha

Not liking the new fangled way to look. I'm with Rossignol on that...lame.

I find it very difficult to navigate from model to model using the new site layout and criteria selectionn drop-downs. It is very difficult to pick and choose the various items like caliber, barrel finish, stock etc. Also, I found that when I selected one item like the barrel finish, it switched another previously selected item like the caliber.

A bit frustrating...

That "Deer Thug" looks pretty cool though.

+1 JT: I have found the same problem. I think what it does when you select the stock is switch back too the default for that stock selection. They do have some refining! I still stand that it is nice to see something new :p

New here just signed up... Bought one of the ATR Deer thug series in 30-06 last night ... Haven't fired it yet. I'm waiting for my scope to come in tomorrow from Optics planet.. Just getting ready for when the bow season is over I'll be a hunting me again this time using a rifle... I had no luck yet with hunting with my crossbow, I thik the deer got me figured out.. When I come down from my tripod walk 200 yards towards my truck through thick bushes... come back 30 minutes later and they'll be all over the feeder 40 yards from my tripod.... Anyway, I like the Deer Thug series a lot... It's my first 30-06 so I don't know how it will shoot. The trigger pull is excellent! there's no creep and it breaks clean. It's similar to Savage Accutrigger. I got this rifle from Academy for 299 + tax.. They don't have one on display I asked the salesperson if they have an ATR in Camouflage... Got lucky I guess... I'll Zero this baby this weekend and let you guys know...

I looked at my ATR 100 and it wasn't a Deer Thug series... It's just have the same camouflage and fluting but did not have the "Deer Thug" writing in the stock...

Howdy rambilt and welcome to the club....

Are you using any kind of scent blocker? They have excellent scence of smell. You need to descent everything. Even the Mossberg....

Welcome Rambitt!!

What kind of scope are you using?
Also, I must second the de-scenting of EVERYTHING! My grandfather buries his clothes all summer long and than still washes them in dirt stuff right before archery or rifle season. I thought he was weird for the longest time until I tried it!

ripjack13 said:
Howdy rambilt and welcome to the club....

Are you using any kind of scent blocker? They have excellent scence of smell. You need to descent everything. Even the Mossberg....

ripjack13, I washed all my clothing, socks, underwear and all with special detergent from Academy. I showered using the bar of soap from Academy... I sprayed my boots with scent blocker and still nothing... My camera shows me leaving the area and the deer showing 30 minutes after I leave... My friends are laughing at me... But I'll get them when the rifle season starts. Hahaha... Well, hopefully anyways...

Itsricmo said:
Welcome Rambitt!!

What kind of scope are you using?
Also, I must second the de-scenting of EVERYTHING! My grandfather buries his clothes all summer long and than still washes them in dirt stuff right before archery or rifle season. I thought he was weird for the longest time until I tried it!

I ordered a Nikon scope from Optics Planet. It should be here tomorrow hopefully... I want to get me a deer... I'll have to do something about the scent thing. I think my truck is giving me away. I bought a steering wheel cover from Walmart and that thing gives off a rubber like smell. Maybe that's what the deer are detecting on me... I'll get rid of that wheel cover until after the deer season. lol!

I doubt the wheel would do so much. If you shave, wash your hair, shower in general, even something like doing the dishes, all the different cleaning materials and their scents will carry in the wind. Even though we won't smell it, the deer obviously have much stronger nostrils than us and they can. Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabelas, etc... they all sell a package deal thing of stuff to wash your clothes in, shower in and wash your face/hands with, that will eliminate your scent for a portion of time.

Neat stuff and really is inexpensive!

Speaking of your truck....you might need to de scent that as well...all that effort is going to waste if you get out of your truck and you smell like it. Especially if you smoke....

Also...seriously...stop wanting it so bad. Think positive though....it's going to happen...but on the deers terms. The object is to have fun....we live in a supermarket society....so its not like your gonna starve if you dont get one asap.. Relax and enjoy the time out there.
Good luck man....and we'll expecting a full write up when it happens....

;)

Oh good point! I don't smoke and my vehicle is unscented (no air freshener). So I don't need to worry as much.. BUT none the less, that is a very good point!

Thanks Rip!

ripjack13 said:
Speaking of your truck....you might need to de scent that as well...all that effort is going to waste if you get out of your truck and you smell like it. Especially if you smoke....

Also...seriously...stop wanting it so bad. Think positive though....it's going to happen...but on the deers terms. The object is to have fun....we live in a supermarket society....so its not like your gonna starve if you dont get one asap.. Relax and enjoy the time out there.
Good luck man....and we'll expecting a full write up when it happens....

;)

ripjack13, I don't smoke but do have air freshener in my truck that I need to get rid of. LOL... and of course you are right I should just relax and enjoy the time for as long as I can.... Also I need to descipline my self... I need to turn off my phone... my wife keeps texting me.. LOL...

FWIW I've been religious about scent for years but this year I've been slacking. Last weekend when I saw all those deer, I had not washed my hunting clothes in weeks (clothes and boots flopped over the riding mower in the garage all week). I was wearing the same jeans I had worn to work on Friday. I had to gas the truck up on the way to the hunt and I didn't even get up in time to use the scent free soap on myself. None of those deer knew I was there.....But I had the wind in my face.

On the flip side I've done everything right by the book and still get busted.

Location has a lot to do with it. The deer I see here in lower MI are more accustomed to being around humans than the deer I see in upper MI.

Wind is the most critical aspect IMHO. You can get away with a lot if the wind is in your favor.

Sometimes no matter what you do they just have a sixth sense. Big bucks and fat does don't get that way on accident.

New to the site just got deer thugs in 30-06 havnt shot it yet cant wait to get out tomorrow and see if the factory bore sighting is good and then see if i can drop a deer with it could make my mind up if i want this or ruger american in .308 then when i researched it could find much on this but ever site i looked at for the ruger seemed to love it hardly any of them were hunters though most were range shooters then i thought to my self ive always loved the mossberg 500's ive owned 2 of them and hands down the best shotguns ive ever shot granted im only 28 but i figured this will be as well made as they are.

Welcome Texas! I would love to hear your report on the Deer Thug!
No one in my parts of town can get their hands on one :/

Got luck i work at walmart in sporting goods so when i seen it come in i said to may self i know i was goin to the ruger americn in .308 but this is mossberg and ive always loved ther shotguns so ill give it a shot hoping to get out to my buddys farm in a few days and shot afew rounds through it and check the factory boresighting on it when i do ill give you report on how it fells.

Back