• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 4x4 30-06

JoeRotella said:
Hey JT10 good luck with the new rifle, I have the Mossberg’s Trophy Hunter in 30.06. I love it -I have been using Remington 30.06 ammo for it and the recoil is not that bad. As others have stated above I did have it on a sandbag when I was sighting it in.

Joe. Nice job on the purchase ;)

Thanks. I used a front Bi-pod on that first day with sandbags in the back. When I get out to the range again, I'll have a better idea how to go about things. And those 125 grain shells I'm sure will help out also.

JT10 said:
I just called tech. support at OFM. Waited about 5 min. for a rep. Explained the problem and a new part is on the way!

hmmm. 8/3 and still no replacement part. OFM not scoring any Cust. serv. points here.

JT10 said:
JT10 said:
I just called tech. support at OFM. Waited about 5 min. for a rep. Explained the problem and a new part is on the way!

hmmm. 8/3 and still no replacement part. OFM not scoring any Cust. serv. points here.

I would give them a call and see where your part is?

So I call today and David informs me that they use USPS for these types of items and that their USPS machine has been down for like two weeks. :(

I will probably have to wait another week or so. So not cool.

I called again today and learned that the replacement part will "ACTUALLY" ship tomorrow, 8/10 - a full month after the original call. For customer service of any kind, especially that of a manufacturing defect, a full month for resolution is totally un-acceptable.

barber8605 said:
Let us know how it goes when you go back to the range.

So I went back for day two at the range. The overall experience was much better than day one. I only shot 20 rounds but on the bright side, 17 hit the paper. 10 were less than 5 inches from dead center and three were less than one inch. Not unhappy with that.

I used Winchester 165 grain. The stuff is legit.

Good to hear its shooting well. I love my 4x4 and it has some great features. Stories like these make me think twice about getting another, although it looks like all worked out in the end.

Well, nobody should be disuaded from the 4x4 based on my experience on this. I am very new to shooting a rifle. I should probably review again after I have completed at least 500 rounds. The stuff about the magazine guide is just some bad luck.

Well - I received the replacement magazine guide today. Although I was able to fire single rounds, the real test will be to tighten down the barrel with the new magazine guide when I get to the shop later.

I'm very concerned that the barrel does not seat evenly in the stock - and that when I tighten down the barrel, it will cause the new guide to crack as well.

OK - Good news. It looks like the new magazine guide is all that is needed. I replaced the old cracked one and tightened down the barrel. No cracks. Fired 20 rounds (thats all I had time for) and now no problems at all.

I just turned the barrel screws until I thought they were tight enough. But can anyone tell me the correct torque to apply when attaching the barrel to the stock? Is there a tried a true method to apply enough torque without going too tight? Also, can anyone recommend a good torque wrench for this task?

JT10 said:
I just turned the barrel screws until I though they were tight enough. But can anyone tell me the correct torque to apply when attaching the barrel to the stock?

Help me better understand this... the barrel is screwed to the stock?

Thanks - appreciate your question.

Yes - there are two screws that attach the barrel/action to the synthetic stock. From the bottom, one screw is just in front of the magazine guide and one screw is just behind it.

Okay, so the receiver is actually what is screwed to the stock, NOT the barrel........

Yes, the receiver. I referred to the barrel and receiver as the barrel- as in "assembly". Its pretty much all one piece as it attaches to the stock.

tCWoR.jpg

BiP5l.jpg

qXRR4.jpg

Back