• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3 Gun Gear side-saddle just arrived

BigFatGuy

.270 WIN
Purchased straight from the 3gungear.com website. Arrived in... 4 days? Maybe 5. One backer and two carriers was about $50 with shipping.

The fabric is heavy, thick, and sturdy. The stitching appears to be high quality, with thick thread. No fear of poor durability on first viewing and groping.

IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

I cleaned the side of my receiver with Simple Green to get the oil off. At first I wondered if it would cause rust issues to clean all the oil off... then I remembered Mossberg uses aluminum alloy. ;-)

IMG_1643.JPG

The velcro backer is held on with adhesive and die-cut for access to the pins. There is also a notch for the serial number, although it still obscures the serial number.

As soon as you pull the "wax paper" off the adhesive, you get hit with the smell. This stuff is clearly VERY STRONG adhesive. Apply carefully, and only pull off the paper enough to make initial contact, because this backer is VERY hard to pull off if you make a mistake.

The pins are still accessible, the serial number is covered. Not a big deal to me, it's not like I keep track of dozens of shotguns.
IMG_1644.JPG

Placing the carrier on and filling it with ammo, I did find some issues with the rig.
IMG_1645.JPG

I'm left handed, and I basically have to choose between the carrier rubbing my knuckle or lifting the carrier a bit too high on the velcro such that it flops around and starts to tear itself loose.

Even if properly set in place, I think I could shake the carrier loose of the velcro backer. It would, however, take a while and quite a bit of effort... so this isn't likely a big deal.

The carrier holds the ammo nice and tight. I really doubt I could shake the ammo out.

The extra carrier is strong enough to hang on my safe's carpet while loaded with 00buck.

The primary reasons I got this rig instead of the more expensive hard plastic ones are: cost, and I like that this does not require replacing pins or bolts in my gun in order to install. The less I muck with my guns workings, the happier I am.

Having owned it for all of a couple hours now, I'm quite happy with it. Money well spent.

You won't shake the carrier off.
The elastic loops loosen up quite a bit with use but just to the point where you can USE them.
I carry Brass down and they aren't going to fall out

OK, after playing with it a bit, I did find a problem with it.

I'm left handed. This carrier gets in the way of me reaching the trigger and the action release, especially if it's loaded with ammo.

bad.JPG

I tried moving it around on the velcro, but it starts to "flop" around in a way that makes me think it will cause problems, so I took a pair of scissors to it.

I cut the last shell and a half off the end, melted the cut end with a cigar lighter to prevent fraying, and stitched the elastic to prevent that from fraying. I also liberally applied some fabric adhesive I have laying around to the pocket between the velcro and the nylon webbing to keep that sturdy. I made sure to cut near a mfg's stitching so that I wouldn't have to sew through the entire piece. (I have a pretty badass sewing machine, but I don't think it will do well with this tough material.)

Here's the melted end:

melted.JPG

Here's the stitched elastic:
sewed.JPG

and now it fits my hand just fine:

good.JPG

This is another side benefit of a fabric based system: if a hard plastic system didn't fit my hand well there wouldn't be much I could do about it...

What I did to solve the same problem was to put the ESSTAC shot shell card as high up and far forward as possible without compromising the Velcro's holding power. Then I pushed up the last two rounds as far as practical.

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

With rounds facing up this is how I reload left handed using inert rounds. About 12.5 seconds to load 7 rounds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCDmkk6SMU[/youtube]

I played with it as best I could by moving it around, but the shell or the shot card itself either poked me, got in the way, rubbed in a painful way against my finger... None of the solutions lent themselves to a day of shooting comfortably.

It might be a hand-size issue, though. my mitts are a bit meatier then the average bears. ;-)

I understand that, you did what you needed to do to get it right for you. You did a good job.

Good review. I'm a lefty too and was worried about the saddle being in the way. I ordered the 5-rd straight side saddle, which should put the last round at the front of the trigger if I mount it all the way forward on my 930. It should show up Friday or Saturday, so I'll find out then.

Back