• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RIO OO buckshot VS. Federal Tactical LE132

DoubleTap

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I was finally able to get out this weekend and test out some rounds. Both shots were taken at 15 yards from a Mossberg 590a1 20" barrel.

The first is the RIO 00 buckshot, you can see in the photo that all nine pellets made it on the box but the box is about 2' X 3'

IMG_3585.jpg

The next was the Federal Tactical LE132 with Flit Control, I was really surprised the pattern on this. You can see in the picture that its only a foot tall which is a huge improvement from the RIO

IMG_3573.jpg

Compare your 15 yard to the video Rossignol made with that federal ammo at 25 yards. Yours is more what I expected his to look like and his is what I would expect yours to to look like.
looks like you and i had near identical results with the rio, would rock indoors

Nice work! I always enjoy seeing the differences!

Although I'm a bit surprised to see the difference between your Federal pattern and mine. At 25 yards I got roughly a 3" x 3" pattern on paper. Weird at best.

This raises a good point though. Never ever rely solely on someone elses data and make sure you know your load and gun combination, what results it will yield.

Oli, I understand what you mean about it seems it would rock indoors, But I'd rather know where all those pellets go and be able to keep them all together.

If anyone is able, I'd be interested in seeing the Rio at 5 yards, hint hint... :D

next weekend I'll do 5...seem so weird standing that close. yeah I hear ya on the stays, lets say indoors where collateral damage is acceptable. These days my kids are out of the house and if my wifes in bed behind me then the rest of the house is fair game and if they get past me hopefully she can bat clean up

5 yards does seem awful close, but indoors, 15' maybe the longest shot for some folks.

I appreciate it oli!

I'm going to try and pattern some RIO OO as well tomorrow. I'll also get one for the Hornady Critical Defense (black hulls).

At five yards (or seven, or ten, or 75) I'd rather have a low-recoil 1-oz slug in my gun over any other shotgun load. I like the Flite-Control 00-buck load a lot, probably because it is such a vast improvement over anything previously or currently out there with regards to buckshot performance. Where a good buckshot load would probably outshine a slug is in dimly lit situations involving some distance, or shooting on the move (again at distance). A running coyote or deer in the evening is a good example, or firing as you make your way to strong cover. Or skipping pellets underneath a parked car against a gunman who is targeting you.

An intruder in your home or in close proximity to you is not going to "automatically" be cut down more effectively by buckshot simply by virtue of those nine .33" pellets. A well placed shot with a slug is like getting hit with dynamite.

The new Flite-Control is wonderful stuff, and I totally buy into its concept. I have purchased a whole lot of it.

However, Flite-Control Buck now creates a predicament in that its pattern makes it a precision munition inside of maybe 40-yards. So, for me the precision munition I elect is the effective and horribly destructive 1-oz slug, even tho' I'll always have some buck very close at hand.

nitesite said:
However, Flite-Control Buck now creates a predicament in that its pattern makes it a precision munition...

Very true. FliteControl is far from scattergun technology and point and shoot.

Relative precision except for the plastic wad.
Also, one should do some testing on slugs. Some are soft and may have less penetration, but at hd distances this is probably n/a. I guess anything that would effectively kill a deer at close range is worth a serious look. Any deer or pig hunters out there might know what works and how the penetration is. Also, I haven`t run into any documentation of actual slug performance. It may be quite useful if the perp has any type of cover, such as a car door, etc.

Way down on my to-do list is to try out slugs in my 20 ga. 11-87. Box of truth has an example of poor penetration on a 20 gauge, but I suspect that has to do with the particular ammo. Sabot rounds may be harder.

For some not likely SHTF cases, fire at 50 yards or more might make buckshot come back in the picture.

I've got a few rounds of the Federal Tru-Ball slugs being shipped to me right now. Should be here Monday. What exactly do you want to see out of them? I'll see if I can get some feedback for ya.

Off the top of my head - were the two loads in the O.P from the same model gun with same choke ?

I bought a 100 rounds of the RIO for like 25 bucks ! Good for practice I'm sure - but thats a hellova spread at a mere 45 feet on the Rio

Hmmm...

I haven't tried the Flite Control but I was getting patterns like that with the regular Federal Buck and Remington Express out of a 20" 500
I didn't have time to get scientific yet.
Will test more.

930SPX with 18.5" barrel

Rio royal buck at 7 & 15 yards
IMG_2000.jpg

Federals with flite control at 7 & 15 yards. The non circled holes were from another gun and ammo combination, so ignore those.
IMG_2010.jpg

Megawatt,

The 7 yard pattern with the RIO looks good for indoor distances.
Most of the "shots" in my house are 15-30 feet.

Did you try any medium range shots?
Would be interesting to see where it falls apart

Kungfunerd said:
Megawatt,

Yea, thats the key. To know the intended distance and purpose for the ammo. I would agree the federals are a higher quality and tighter performers but they also cost like three times as much so I would be shooting 2/3 less. Greater than 15 yards with my gun, the RIO pattern was not something to consider as being accurate. Remember you have to be responsible for every one of the nine projectiles.

That's what I like to see...real world testing and the sharing of good info on the loads we all buy and use. Well done gentlemen !!

megawatt said:
Kungfunerd said:
Megawatt,

Yea, thats the key. To know the intended distance and purpose for the ammo. I would agree the federals are a higher quality and tighter performers but they also cost like three times as much so I would be shooting 2/3 less. Greater than 15 yards with my gun, the RIO pattern was not something to consider as being accurate. Remember you have to be responsible for every one of the nine projectiles.

This was from the VCS thread . It shows before and after using RIO, The stock barrel pictures are what I was getting before barrel work.

The targets are 12"x12" for both types of targets

10 yards, stock barrel
IMG_0007.jpg

VCS
IMG_0324.jpg

15 yards, stock
IMG_0008.jpg

VCS
IMG_0325.jpg

20 yards, stock
IMG_0009.jpg

VCS
IMG_0326.jpg

WOW! VCS is definitely money well spent.

Thanks for the pics and proof. Full of WIN...... :)

Back