• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bug-out Bags (BOB)

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
Show off your BOB's. Post up pictures and list the contents so we can get ideas for our own.

Here's mine:

My BoB is this ModGear pack, purchased from CheaperThanDirt.com: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE124-1.html I purposely chose an inexpensive bag because it will spend the bulk of its life sitting in my closet. I don't expect to have to carry this very far on my back, but it's reasonably comfortable if I have to do so.

It is also equipped with this hydration system carrier: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE454-1.html

DSCN1191.jpg

DSCN1190.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg

You can see from the second picture that I am carrying a Gerber LMF II as my fixed blade knife: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-01629-B ... B000E3QUB6

If you are unfamiliar with the LMF, I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself. It is an excellent multi-purpose fixed blade knife.

Here's a quick peek inside the pockets of my bag.

Main Compartment
DSCN1181.jpg

Secondary Compartment (upper)
DSCN1180.jpg

Tertiary Compartment (lower)
DSCN1179.jpg

Contents of Main Compartment
DSCN1184.jpg

- Earplugs
- Mechanix Fast Fit Gloves
- 6" 12-hours Light Sticks (4)
- Light Stick Carrier
- Web Belt
- Foot Joy Socks (2 pair) (If you haven't tried these, you need to)
- Spare AA Batteries (3)
- Solar/Hand Crank Radio (can also be used to charge cell phones, etc.)
- Ball Cap
- Space Blanket
- Short Sleeve Shirt
- Long Sleeve Shirt
- Underwear (2 pair) (I figured I would save you from looking at my boxers)
- Desert Camo Rip-stop BDU Pants
- Woodland Camo Army Surplus Rain Suit

Secondary Compartment Contents
DSCN1185.jpg

- Steiner Mini Binoculars
- Loaded Spare 30 Round Magazines, 7.62X39 (2)
- N95 Respirator Masks (2)
- Dry Bag
- Tooth Brush
- Starkist Lunch to Go (2)
- Pencil, Pen, Sharpie
- Hand Sanitizer
- Cash
- Toothpaste
- Travel Kleenex (2) (Can double as TP)
- Anti-bacterial Hand Wipes
- Note Pad
- 100' Parachute Cord

Tertiary Compartment Contents
DSCN1187.jpg

- Compass
- First Aid Kit
- Whistle
- Bug Repellent
- Medications (prescriptions, aspirin, anti-diarrheal, Ibuprofen, Tums)
- Bug Bite Treatment
- Wet Fire Tinder (2)
- Blast Match Fire Starter
- Wind-proof Butane Lighter

Side Compartment, Right
DSCN1186.jpg

- Basic Garmin GPS
- 12 Volt Adapter for GPS
- Tactical Light (no name brand from Costco - VERY nice)
- Gerber Kiowa Tanto Blade Folding/Locking Knife

Side Compartment, Left
DSCN1188.jpg

- Loaded Spare 15 Round Magazines, 9 mm (2)
- SPF 30 Sun Block

Inside the Hydration Carrier
DSCN1189.jpg

- Water Purification Pellets

I will post up pictures of mine when I get a chance. Right now I am still in the works of putting it together.

I'm workin on somethin a little at a time.

I only have a Condor MOLLE buttpack and a Swiss mil-surp backpack. Together I have $30 in the bags. I add stuff as I'm able, but for now I have the following;

an inexpensive hand held scope, good for a few hundred yards.
100' of 505 paracord
scarf
leather gloves
a couple of 1" stainless steel shackles
a locking carabiner alloy steel rated 1500 lbs.
until yesterday there were 100 rounds of .45 ACP, but I made sure to keep enough to fully load 2 mags
30 12 ga slugs
20 12 ga 00 buck
extra fixed blade knife
2 tubes of lip balm, both are 30 spf I think
2 whistles
electrical tape
head lamp
very easy to use, very effective, knife shapener
pvc rain poncho/small tarp, has brass grommets to run cord through

I would like to add a blast match and the firestarter wet tinder among many other things...

The necessary food, water, and clothes can be gained with what is in the bag and slung over the other shoulder ;)

IMG00009-20101014-2156.jpg

Okay,
Perhaps this weekend when the family is sacked out sleeping off turkey I'll drag out a couple BOBs and take them apart to photograph.
You're probably going to think I'm too paranoid (it's not pranoia if they're really out to get you) but I have multiple layers of Bug Out gear planned and prepped.
To be REALLY ready for SHTF
First, as a few of us have discussed in another thread, carry some handy stuff in your pockets all the time.
Second, keep a "get home" bag in your vehicle. A small BOB with the express thought that it would be just enough to get you to your home (primary) cache.
Third, keep a full blown BOB (or two) close at hand at home. We have a mud room of sorts just indie our backdoor and that's where I keep some critical gear. My boys have strict orders that if we hit TEOTWAKI while I'm away from work they are to load things into mom's expedition in a particular order until it gets full and then head to our rally point. I'll get there when I can. We have 3 plastic tubs with interlocking lids (from Costco) and three large parachute bags that go in first. While older brother does that younger brother empties the gun room into the truck (by now he probably needs help loading ammo cause there's a lot of it). Next goes all the groceries and drinks from the pantry and mom makes an assessment what perishables can go into a cooler and into her truck (a couple of those Costco boxes were full of MREs and other rations so food went in first).

Finally, time permitting, determined by whether we are evading a hurricane or if bands of wild dogs are roaming the streets (Ballad of Ricky Bobby) we gather tactical (means durable) clothing and coats.

A full deployment can be packed in about 20 minutes if we all four hump it.

The expedition is full at that point and if I'm there by then the plan is to load tools and other implements of survival into the bed of my pickup. If we were both fully loaded we could live endlessly out there in the wilds of [location withheld] with very little interaction with all those gang bangers who would be shooting each other to death back in [location withheld].

So, maybe I should just get pics of my get home bag. It's the most like a true BOB.

I know, I'm a little weird (maybe more than a little) but that's our plan.

Dang that's a long post. If you've read this far I'm impressed. I would have quit long ago, thanks.

I wouldn't consider a layered approach to preparedness, or security, paranoid but then a few people might consider me a bit "over-prepared". :lol:

Here's a bullet-point structure for layering your preparedness
- Every Day Carry in Your Pockets
- Get Home Bags in Your Vehicles
- Bug Out Bags in Your Home
- Bug In Supplies in Your Home
- Bug Out Vehicle to Reach Your Bug Out Location
- Bug Out Location Stocked with Bug In Supplies

Just a reminder that fall is a good time to pull your GHB's and BOB's apart and re-tool them for cold weather if you live in a cold weather climate. I usually rotate out food and supplies with expiration dates in the fall and spring.

I need to work on one or 2 of these....

I've changed my line up a bit over the months.

We now also have the CamelBak LinchPin.

My Mudinyeri EDC is always handy and I use it often in fact for first aid stuff! The compasss has been useful too as recently as yesterday as we hiked all over the place to find a hunting spot. In conjunction with an area map, I knew where I wanted to go and had to maintain a heading though we trecked across creeks and through woods and nearly impassible heavy heavy brush full of briars and even through a 10 acre marsh. To get back to our vehicle I didnt wanna go back the way we came when we found a gravel road. So again the compass to see which way we were goin.

Always ALWAYS enough first aid supplies, even if it seems like rundundancy and too much. On this note, making sure I'm not the only one who knows how to use the stuff is part of the plan too.

I still need to get some MRE's, I only keep Cliff bars on hand right now.

Ammo, even for game we're not hunting.

A good pair of binoculars.

I need to add a change of clothes and socks especially. The weather can sometimes change quickly. If youre gonna be outdoors awhile, having some stuff that will layer is beneficial.

We have the emergency firestarting stuff including steel wool and a couple 9 volt batteries.

Signalling mirrors x2. Whistles too, though I still want a strobe and possibly an audible beacon.

One of my fears is for my children to be seperated from me somehow and find themselves alone for hours and through the night possibly. My daughter is at least armed and carries an ammo bag. My son, though he comes from good ol fashioned hillbilly stock and is a little rough around the edges, has no interest in firearms or hunting. Though he can whittle a spear in a heartbeat and can fish.

Machettes x2 and a camp hatchet. The same one in fact I hacked through my ankle with. We also have a redundancy of knives, from utility to skinning.

I have easily 200 ft of paracord. I mentioned the shackles in my earlier post. They can be used like pulleys if need be, for hanging game or moving stuff, even hoisting supplies.

Knowing how to tie a few knots isnt a bad idea either, preferably knots you can undo and avoid cutting your cord or rope to undo.

I know this isnt entirely comprehensive even if it seems like alot. Another thing I'll add, knowing how to carry it all on your person is critical i think, it makes the trek far easier. Its also easier to carry what you can wear. In other words, things that are hastily slung over a shoulder that dont stay put and swing into your way while your moving can cause fatigue, as well as carrying ill fit packs. Anything you can put on your person as if youre wwearing it like clothes, things that attach closely if not fit into a well adjusted pack makes the going way easier. This is stuff i actually picked up from years of climbing steel and having to carry in excess of 50lbs of tools, nuts and bolts, and welding rod. So fit your gear close to your body and eliminate as much shifting as possible.

On that note, compression straps help too, and I know Mud sells the Grimlock carabiners and stuff. You can make compression straps too if you want. Just need some 1" flat nylon webbing, or 3/4" even. Find the side release buckles that are adjustable, and youre in business. When you cut the webbing, you'll have to sear the edges so it doesnt unravel. Those buckles will hold their place while under pressure btw...

Thats all I got for know...
Rossignol. Out.

Expat_PM said:
Okay,
Perhaps this weekend when the family is sacked out sleeping off turkey I'll drag out a couple BOBs and take them apart to photograph.
You're probably going to think I'm too paranoid (it's not pranoia if they're really out to get you) but I have multiple layers of Bug Out gear planned and prepped.
To be REALLY ready for SHTF
First, as a few of us have discussed in another thread, carry some handy stuff in your pockets all the time.
Second, keep a "get home" bag in your vehicle. A small BOB with the express thought that it would be just enough to get you to your home (primary) cache.
Third, keep a full blown BOB (or two) close at hand at home. We have a mud room of sorts just indie our backdoor and that's where I keep some critical gear. My boys have strict orders that if we hit TEOTWAKI while I'm away from work they are to load things into mom's expedition in a particular order until it gets full and then head to our rally point. I'll get there when I can. We have 3 plastic tubs with interlocking lids (from Costco) and three large parachute bags that go in first. While older brother does that younger brother empties the gun room into the truck (by now he probably needs help loading ammo cause there's a lot of it). Next goes all the groceries and drinks from the pantry and mom makes an assessment what perishables can go into a cooler and into her truck (a couple of those Costco boxes were full of MREs and other rations so food went in first).

Finally, time permitting, determined by whether we are evading a hurricane or if bands of wild dogs are roaming the streets (Ballad of Ricky Bobby) we gather tactical (means durable) clothing and coats.

A full deployment can be packed in about 20 minutes if we all four hump it.

The expedition is full at that point and if I'm there by then the plan is to load tools and other implements of survival into the bed of my pickup. If we were both fully loaded we could live endlessly out there in the wilds of [location withheld] with very little interaction with all those gang bangers who would be shooting each other to death back in [location withheld].

So, maybe I should just get pics of my get home bag. It's the most like a true BOB.

I know, I'm a little weird (maybe more than a little) but that's our plan.

Dang that's a long post. If you've read this far I'm impressed. I would have quit long ago, thanks.
this is perfect good job, im on the same boat!!! :D

Howdy justin w and welcome to the club! Take a look around and let us know how we're doing , and don't forget to head on over to the New Member Welcome Area and introduce yourself.

viewforum.php?f=5

Good info...
I have what I call a vehicle bag...with a smaller 10 essentials bag included...the vehicle bag is set up to bug out from a stranded vehicle...

Fact is I can only carry one bag so that bag has got to meet the needs of all the different types of bags I could concievably put together. I could put together several different bags and yet still only be able to carry one...

Since I can stow a bit more in the vehicle I do set it up a little more thoroughly. I believe having a complete change of clothing, footwear and outerwear, blankets, shelter and water on board is a necessity.

Gunner said:
Good info...
I have what I call a vehicle bag...with a smaller 10 essentials bag included...the vehicle bag is set up to bug out from a stranded vehicle...

Fact is I can only carry one bag so that bag has got to meet the needs of all the different types of bags I could concievably put together. I could put together several different bags and yet still only be able to carry one...

Since I can stow a bit more in the vehicle I do set it up a little more thoroughly. I believe having a complete change of clothing, footwear and outerwear, blankets, shelter and water on board is a necessity.

I would call that a Get Home Bag. I think we have a thread for those too.

I dunno squat about the different types of bags, If you say it is a get home bag then thats what it is...I carry it in the vehicle, so I obviously have mis called it a vehicle bag which apparently is something entirely different....my bad.

My GHB is a pygmy falcon II and my BOB is a falcon II. My son also has a pygmy falcon II he uses it for school, but after this year (graduates) :D we will turn it into his BOB! I keep a F.I.G.H.T. medical pouch in each pack....I also keep a fr1 pouch in the center console of my car. Those FIGHT pouches are great...you can put a ton of stuff in there for being so small.

Gunner said:
I dunno squat about the different types of bags, If you say it is a get home bag then thats what it is...I carry it in the vehicle, so I obviously have mis called it a vehicle bag which apparently is something entirely different....my bad.

My intention was not to "correct" what you call the bag that you carry in your vehicle. Rather, I was pointing you in the direction of a related thread and, perhaps, a term used more frequently across the general populous in case you wanted to do a Google search for ideas.

I used to call the stuff I carried in my vehicles ICE (In Case of Emergency) Gear. The acronym ICE has taken on an entirely different meaning over the last 30 years or so.

BoB Gun suggestion

Even though this is a Mossberg forum, one of the best suggestions I've seen for a BoB, is a Breakdown Ruger 10/22. Ammo is super cheap, and extremely light, and the weapon will fit into pretty much any backpack. Perfect for small game hunting, and in a pinch, self defense. Let me know your thoughts, and any suggestions on other non-Mossberg BoB weapons. (Although in a SHTF situation, my .500 will be slung across my chest, a .22 is still a good weapon to have)

Re: BoB Gun suggestion

I've said it before, but for a 22LR rifle, I have a Rossi 22LR and .410 barrel combo youth gun that is fantastic.

The 22 barrel has been shortened down to 16.25 inches, recrowned and threaded to accept a silencer, and the 410 barrel is 19 inches long.

Since it is a break action gun, when the silencer is used, the gun is as quiet as a bolt action 22 with silencer (no ejection port noise like a 10/22)

I could ramble about how well I like the gun, but it's light, it's compact, it's plenty accurate enough to hunt with and goes bang every single time.

here it is with the threaded 22 barrel.

PS, the scope mount is attached to the barrel, so it retains zero when the barrels are swapped back and forth.

Rossi really hit a home run with this gun as far as I am concerned.

rossi010.jpg

You can also get other calibers/barrels

Re: BoB Gun suggestion

Another great option for a small, light .22 rifle would be either the Henry AR-7 or the Marlin Papoose. They essentially the same rifle. However, the AR-7 breaks down into three parts (barrel, action, stock), and the barrel and action store inside of the stock. The Papoose breaks down into two parts (barrel and stocked action), and it comes with a padded soft case for storage.

I've never fired or handled one in person, but I've heard from people who have that they are pretty accurate. I really like the concept and would like to get my hands on one eventually.

Back