• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hi All- New Guy from SC PA

SGT45

.22LR
Hi All,

New guy here. I am from SC PA. I am LE. I bought a Mossberg Shotgun (500) back in '78 when I turned 18. Sold it. (Fast Forward)

My PD's had Remingtons and Mossbergs. I always liked the feel and weight of the Mossbergs. (Fast Forward)

Recently I bought two Mossbergs on my own since we went to AR15's in the cars/trucks. I have a LE 590 w/ GS, parkerized, 5 shot, heavy barrel (LE Purchase) and I picked up a real nice Cruiser Model 500- 20", 8 Shot. I just ordered a Hogue 12 LOP stock and plan on putting a Limbsaver recoil pad on the 500- hopefully it will work out (if it does, will do the same to the 590).

I had a Winchester 1300 with the Knoxx stock on it. I liked the reduced felt recoil, but sight picture/sighting was bad and I had a few instances of cheek slap. Never really warmed up to that 1300- trigger finger slapped into the trigger guard too many times! SOLD IT!

I am hoping I can come up with a good solution to reducing the felt recoil on my tired, aching, many patrol miles/fight worn, 50 yr. old body. Thanks all, I look forward to many Forum chats.

Let me be the first to welcome you SGT45! Good to have another from PA. SC PA huh?....How close are you to Lancaster?

You'll fit right in here with the 12" LOP Hogue and Limbsaver. I have that set up as do a lot of others. The 12" LOP seems a natural for most people and the Limbsaver works as advertised.

Funny that you joined a day after I joked on here with another LE that I'd like to try my 72 Chevelle against his hemi powered police car.

Look forward to seeing you on the boards!

Sure am glad that you chose to join in, SGT45.

Welcome to a really diverse, fun and informative forum!

Stay safe.

Sent from my 2009 Dodge Charger using the interwebz.

Welcome from MI!!

Hopefully we can help you come up with a solution to your recoil issues. We have a wealth of knowledge here.

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service!

I'm one of the happy Hogue 12" LOP + Limbsaver guys. The combination REALLY works well and when they advertize a 70% reduction in felt recoil, I think they're being modest. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your 590, 500, and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I appreciate it. I am kinda a Shotgun newb. All of mine in my 30 yr. LE history were issue and no mods. allowed. Now I have these Mossbergs and want to mod them.
What model Limbsaver are you guys using with the Hogue 12" lop stock? I am not sure which to get. Thanks Guys!!!!!!!

Carbinemike- Gettysburg- not too far from ya.

Yes Sir,

They have precision fit pads as well, but I like the slip-on because I can use it on multiple weapons...

I use the slip-on limbsaver, size "small"...

Plus one on the small size for the Hogue.

Gettysburg...alright! Yep, not to far. Just a short trip down the Lincoln Highway.

carbinemike said:
I use the slip-on limbsaver, size "small"...

Plus one on the small size for the Hogue.

Gettysburg...alright! Yep, not to far. Just a short trip down the Lincoln Highway.

Yup, Rt. 30. I actually live in Aspers and work in Cumberland (surrounds Gettysburg).
Yes- We have Hot b/w Chargers and Tahoes!!!

Plus we issue .45ACP and 45GAP Glocks!!!!

Next time I'm coming through there I'll make sure I back her down...I'd hate to meet you the hard way, not to mention the nasty PA fines and points! Of course I would like to see that LE model 590. I think they're pretty sweet.

carbinemike said:
Next time I'm coming through there I'll make sure I back her down...I'd hate to meet you the hard way, not to mention the nasty PA fines and points! Of course I would like to see that LE model 590. I think they're pretty sweet.

Yeah, watch out on Rt15, the boys are busy there. Let me know when in the area. We have a lot of toys. M16's with happy switches etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Dang, I'm way late...

Anyhow, Thank you for serving your community brother, welcome to MO!!!

Sgt, I to have a 590A1 (though a 20") and the 500 Persuader 20", both are an absolute joy!

I have Hogue stocks on both of mine and have been very happy with them! A few things go into reducing felt recoil I think, like the recoil pad, the Limbsaver, and shooting stance. Out of curiosity, how do you shoot? I dont know what is taught to LEOs in the way of stance. Theres much to be said for the push/pull style I think, its helped me get recoil under control quite a bit and works great with the short Hogue!

Thanks Ross,

History- I was issued a S&W 3000 12 ga. in 1984. We had Remington 870's also. In the PSP acad. we trained and qualified with the 12 ga. Also qualified with 12 ga. at the NRA Instructors school in 1991 :eek: We trained in the usual stance.-Shotgun tucked into shoulder, stand sideways (left side) to target, left leg forward. In my younger years I was very good with the shotgun. I was always a "TOP GUN" Somewhere around 1996 we did away with shotguns and went to Patrol Rifles (go drool- I had a MP5 for years, then a Colt M4). In 2003 the PD ordered Benelli Semi Shotguns with pistol grips and GS (can't remember model). I took a Early retirement in 2006 at 45. DID IT AGAIN!!! Now in Gettysburg Area. We issue Mossberg Shotguns and Patrol Rifles (Thanks to me!!!! :mrgreen: ). Now as a 90% desk jockey, 50 yrs. old and much abuse to my body in Patrol for 24 yrs. the shotguns are getting a little uncomfortable to shot. As much as I like them, believe in them, and trust them- I need to reduce the recoil some(Yes we have the reduced recoil loads)- Hence my post in the Mossy 500 thread, I am a little concerned with how my Limbsaver slip on pad fits on the Hogue 12"LOP. It seems to move or shift on presentations. I sooooo wanted this to work out!!! I had a bad experience with the Blackhawk Knoxx stock on a Winchester 1300- Never really liked that Shotgun- It was a slug gun. Accuracy with the Knoxx stock on a slug gun was bad and cheek slap. Soooo still looking at options- New ATI scorpion stock????? Screw on Limbsaver on Hogue 12" LOP???? Inquiring minds need to know- Hehehe

Rossignol said:
Dang, I'm way late...

Anyhow, Thank you for serving your community brother, welcome to MO!!!

Sgt, I to have a 590A1 (though a 20") and the 500 Persuader 20", both are an absolute joy!

I have Hogue stocks on both of mine and have been very happy with them! A few things go into reducing felt recoil I think, like the recoil pad, the Limbsaver, and shooting stance. Out of curiosity, how do you shoot? I dont know what is taught to LEOs in the way of stance. Theres much to be said for the push/pull style I think, its helped me get recoil under control quite a bit and works great with the short Hogue!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum SGT45...from a fellow Pennsylvanian !!

SGT, I hope the guys can get you worked out on that Limbsaver.

Yall were taught to shoot bladed? Have you ever tried shooting square behind the gun? I believe that shooting style has become more popular and taught more often in recent years largely due to body armor design.

I know shooting bladed presents less target to a BG firing back, but what was found (among soldiers primarily I believe) was that a number of injuries/casualties sustained in gun battles were shots taken to the soft unprotected sides of armor. I've had friends tell me they were taught through basic to shoot bladed, but after being deployed, private defense contractors would come on base and teach the style of shooting square behind the gun.

The side effect of this is that muzzle climb is somewhat deminished and the recoil energy is better transferred through your body! In my estimation, felt recoil is def somewhat reduced just by changing the stance and style of shooting!

Back