• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Welcome aboard!

I hear ya on the lingering issues with the SPX models. They have definitely been hit or miss on QC. I've got a 930 Tactical (non-SPX) that's been worry free straight outta the box. Keep at it and let us know how she does on your next range trip...

Re: Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube*more pics added*

Did they replace the magazine tube or just polish out the scratches?
How long is the new magazine spring?

Still waiting for my shipping label.

Thanks, WR

waterrat said:
Did they replace the magazine tube or just polish out the scratches?
How long is the new magazine spring?

Still waiting for my shipping label.

Thanks, WR

It looks like a new tube. The scratches were pretty deep on the other one. Even more so then the photos show. As far as spring length I haven't measured it, but it look the same size as the original one.

drthv8r said:
I trimmed the factory mag spring down to 28"

I'm not too sure about trimming the factory spring down to 28". The Wolff should be around 26" to 28", but it is MUCH stiffer than the stock spring. I think mine came with about a 36" spring and the accepted process is just trim one coil off at a time and test until everything works...ymmv

Hammer

Hello Lazy and thank you for the welcome. I had no idea I was a gun smith till I took this shotgun project on...lol. The action is now smooth as butter and it loads 7 rounds each and every time, unlike before when it stopped loading at 5 rounds of 2-3/4" shells 98% of the time when new out of the box.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard!

I hear ya on the lingering issues with the SPX models. They have definitely been hit or miss on QC. I've got a 930 Tactical (non-SPX) that's been worry free straight outta the box. Keep at it and let us know how she does on your next range trip...

My factory spring was 37" I had to cut it down to 28" to get the mag tube to load the 7 rounds reliably. Now of course when I go to shoot it it may not function at all the way it is with the stock spring cut down as it is, but seems I read 28-30" was safe. The new Wolff spring should be in by the end of the week so I won't even shoot it with the stock spring. Of course at some point in the future I'll try the stock spring out and see how it works with light and heavy loads. This has been an adventure to say the least.

I did cut the spring down a coil at a time tested and retested it then cut more off a coil at a time, and 28" was the sweet spot for my spring. Sorry I wasn't more clear on my earlier post.

Another update:I've added a Wolff mag tube spring, a Nordic 2-Round Magazine Tube Extension, a Nordic Shotgun Magazine Extension Tube End Cap Extra (3/4") and a Nordic Low Drag Teflon Coated Magazine Follower. I kept the stock follower but tossed the cheap assed choate mag extension crap in the trash can where it belongs. The shotgun performs faultlessly now. It sucks I have to dump more money into a brand new shotgun, you would think at some point Mossberg would listen to people and fix known problems with these shotguns. I'll never purchase anything that has the name choate on it in the future, Mossberg should do the same thing.

I bought a 930 SX on 7/31/12, took it out today and shot ~75 rounds through it. Upon disassembly and cleaning I found the typical scratch marks (caused by the gas piston spring end burr) and a substantial amout of wear and galling on the mag tube. Does it do me any good to contact the gun store for their opinion on the amount of wear or is it best to contact Mossberg directly?

Does anyone know what's causing the accelerated wear on the mag tube? Is this something only Mossberg can fix?

Thanks...

Mine was a complete replacement of the tube and it appears to be a re-seating of the piston spring.

Steamdonkey said:
I bought a 930 SX on 7/31/12, took it out today and shot ~75 rounds through it. Upon disassembly and cleaning I found the typical scratch marks (caused by the gas piston spring end burr) and a substantial amout of wear and galling on the mag tube. Does it do me any good to contact the gun store for their opinion on the amount of wear or is it best to contact Mossberg directly?

Does anyone know what's causing the accelerated wear on the mag tube? Is this something only Mossberg can fix?

Thanks...

I can tell you the scratch marks are not normal. Slight wear on the tube I would say is normal but without seeing the pics I couldn't tell. As far as telling the store where you purchased it they will probably tell you to contact the Mossberg, that's what my store told me. Once it leaves the store its a warranty issue. I'd contacted Mossberg and my issues were fixed. Had the gun back in 2 weeks. Just shot 50 rounds of birdshot tonight and had no issues.

Phantom said:
I can tell you the scratch marks are not normal. Slight wear on the tube I would say is normal but without seeing the pics I couldn't tell. As far as telling the store where you purchased it they will probably tell you to contact the Mossberg, that's what my store told me. Once it leaves the store its a warranty issue. I'd contacted Mossberg and my issues were fixed. Had the gun back in 2 weeks. Just shot 50 rounds of birdshot tonight and had no issues.

I visited the store tonight and got the same answer- Best to contact Mossberg directly. Here are some photos I took this afternoon. The wear seems excessive for only having 75 rounds (1/2 of them birdshot) run through it.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,256

The wear looks about normal to me. Thats what mine had after 20 rounds. Even after I got my gun back from Mossberg and I shot some more it looked like that. From what I understand that's normal. I'm sure some others will chime in with some info. I'm no expert. But those scratch marks are because something is out of alignment when you slide the barrel on and off. I couldn't fix it on my own so I just send it back. I'm happy with how the guns works now.

Did you scroll the entire length of 2nd and 3rd photos? That seems like a lot of galling. If Mossberg can't do something about the wear issue I won't bother sending it in. I can de-burr the gas piston spring myself to stop further sctatching. Thanks for your input.

Steamdonkey said:
Did you scroll the entire length of 2nd and 3rd photos? That seems like a lot of galling. If Mossberg can't do something about the wear issue I won't bother sending it in. I can de-burr the gas piston spring myself to stop further sctatching. Thanks for your input.

My bad..I didn't realize there was more to the photo..I didn't scroll all the way down.

Recieved my 930 SPX back from Mossberg yesterday - 2 weeks door-to-door.

I had a whole range of issues including scratches on the mag tube. It now feeds 7 but after taking it apart, cleaning and reassembling, I have a new, deep scratch on the new mag tube.

I will try the alignment suggestions from the top of the thread.

Thanks, WR

I know how you feel. I too just bought my mossberf 930 spx on 8/10. Today I had to send it back ti mossberg. I have deep marks on the magazine tube.Also gun would only hold 5 rounds of 2 3/4. I have nothing positive to say on this gun because its been nothing but a pain in the you know what. I hope when i get my shotgun back that i can place some rounds down range. Also my barrel was very hard to get on and off. I guess we will wait and see. I know this is strike number 2 against this gun it will not get a 3rd Hopefully you dont have any more issues going forward good luck

Yup, I just brought home my SPX this past Friday and I have identical scratches. I would not sweat it though as is not a functional issue. If the scratches were visible when the gun was assembled then that would be diffrent. Heres what I did. I took some 120 grit aluminum oxide sand paper to the scratches then buffed with steel wool. Took some birchwood casey cold Perma Blue to the area and then oiled it. Looks great. OK, should I have to do that? NO! But I'm not going to send it back to MB where they will do what I did. Took about 10 min total time.

Jay H said:
Yup, I just brought home my SPX this past Friday and I have identical scratches. I would not sweat it though as is not a functional issue. If the scratches were visible when the gun was assembled then that would be diffrent. Heres what I did. I took some 120 grit aluminum oxide sand paper to the scratches then buffed with steel wool. Took some birchwood casey cold Perma Blue to the area and then oiled it. Looks great. OK, should I have to do that? NO! But I'm not going to send it back to MB where they will do what I did. Took about 10 min total time.

If you don't align the gas spring the tube will probably get scratched again. It happen ever time I took the gun apart. Each time I got a new scratch. I sent mine back, it was a new gun and should never have had those scratches to begin with. They replace the scratched tube with a new one.

question regarding the bolt release/quick unload button

Should i be able to press this button when a round is chambers and I'm not pushing up on the elevator?

Mine allows me to and seems to jam 2 rounds above the elevator that could cause a HUGE problem if it was inadvertently hit or bumped in a HD situation since it would keep any follow up rounds from being loaded without fidgeting around pushing one round back up the mag tube allowing the elevator to snap up the other one almost biting off your finger if your not careful...

I've got to think this was not meant to be pressed unless the bolt is locked back to chamber a new round dropped in the hole, or the elevator is lifted for quick unloading. Any other time and rounds just get crammed in the "floating" or ghost position making the gun a useless stick.

Any fix for this if anyone has faced similar problems? Did i maybe not line something up right during reassembly after my last cleaning?

If this is just how it is for everyone then it's a serious issue that mossberg should address. One bump of that button against a wall or another person and your weapon is out of commission without a good 5-10 seconds of fix time, if you've practiced clearing that fix i should say.

Re: question regarding the bolt release/quick unload button

My 930 will kick a round out of the mag tube and onto the elevator with the bolt closed when the bolt release button is pressed. However, upon firing, it has never spit out a shell from the mag tube when there is a round floating on the elevator.

Re: question regarding the bolt release/quick unload button

buyobuyo said:
My 930 will kick a round out of the mag tube and onto the elevator with the bolt closed when the bolt release button is pressed. However, upon firing, it has never spit out a shell from the mag tube when there is a round floating on the elevator.
The prob is mine doesn't just kick out one, i jams 2 into the space where one is only half in half out and keeps the elevator from pushing up either round successfully jamming the action. I have to then reach in through the open bolt to push the one round back into the mag tube while holding back charging handle, otherwise as soon as that round is out of the way it will pop the one round up and smash shut on my finger.

Something flat like a key can also be used to push the round in through the bottom next to the elevator but that can scratch things up and takes even longer trying to grab some instrument to do so.

Maybe it's meant to do this then and i have to much spring tension pushing out more then one round at once?

Back