• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rimfire Rifle Pics and Discussion (non-Mossberg)

Re: gsg-5 1st anniversary edition

no.

I'll PM you

yeah that's cool! I don't know what their deal was. i'll find out next time i'm in there.

.22 LR Day

I took the kids to the range for the first time today with a guy from work. It was all .22 LR with his Ruger 10-22, my Winchester 94-22 lever gun and a 8" barrel revolver. We had a great time. My daughter (12) had the best group of the kids but my son (10) did pretty good too. I love that Winchester 94-22. I had a 10 shot group of 3 1/2 inches at 100 yards with the iron sights that I was happy with. My son didn't like the revolver to much but he wouldn't quit until all the rounds were fired.

Great thread and I have really liked the progress! Nicely done with the pics and walkthrough on the forend handguard!

for what its worth, forget the figure and remember, tactically plump makes way more sense!

(I'm tryin to start a trend here) :D

Thanks Ross I appreciate your comments on the gun! And as for the tactical belly... I'm out! I'll stick with skinny and less center of mass.. Makes it harder to hit if I can turn sideways and disappear!! ;)

Re: Tactical .22 Photo Thread (non-Mossberg)

I picked up this Marlin 60 at an auction at my local gun club. I found out that it has both the bolt hold open after last shot and an 18 round capacity. Decided I might as well treat it to some upgrades. The stock had been broken and repaired before I got it. I paid $70 for the gun at the auction.

This is how it looked on day 1:
IMAG0144.jpg

Since the stock was broken I figured the first thing I needed to do was get a new stock. I decided to go with the ATI pistol grip stock. Got it for $42 shipped.

After the stock:
IMAG0147.jpg

Now that it had nice new stock I figured it was time to look into some optics. I was originally thinking about either a Tasco or BSA red dot for tactical look. After tons of reading and looking at a bunch of scopes and sights I decided not to go red dot. I was up at Walmart getting some ammo and I noticed a Bushnell 4x32 .22 rimfire scope marked on sale for $19.99. I had no choice, I bought it. Only took me 15 rounds to get it zeroed in(without bore sighting).

With the scope:
IMAG0149-1.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

I still want to add a bipod. Probably going to get a Harris so I can use it on my Rem 700 as well. I need one that extends to at least 12" so I was thinking the 9"-13" ranged ones should be perfect. Will post more pics when more stuff gets added.

Decided to finally rebuild the SD upper to use an actual 22LR barrel on it to squeeze as much accuracy as I can out of it and do it as much justice as I can.

I ordered the short barrel and collar from CMMG, but for some reason, they failed to ship the collar, so I had to call and remind them, so they're going to send it out this week sometime :~

But anyway, I got the upper apart and the old Colt barrel swapped out yesterday evening. Hopefully I'll be able to test out the new setup by this weekend with any luck to see what it'll do.

I also took off the cheap red dot (that always seemed to wash out in sunlight anyway) and put on a 1.5-6x Barska scope that has a plenty of usable magnification settings at the distances I plan to shoot, and bright illuminated crosshair, so with any luck, I'll be minute of squirrel now. :cool:

22SDUpperbuild001.jpg

22SDUpperbuild003.jpg

22LRSDUpper.jpg

That's awesome John, can't wait to hear a range report.

Lookin good John!

What's your OAL with the can?

32-3/4 OAL with stock collapsed, which gives it the look of a full size... with a surprise LOL

And yes, the can is twice the length and almost twice the diameter of a regular 22 silencer, but it works really well that way (probably an understatement LOL)

The regular 5.56 upper has an 8.5" barrel and it is approximately 22" OAL, but I can't remember exactly what it came out to when I listed it on the form.

It looks great brother, I was just curious.

I'm in the planning stages of a similar build in 5.56. I'm using a 10.5" barrel, so the can's gonna put the OAL right at that of my other carbines.

Yeah, suppressors do add some extra length and bulk no matter how you go about it but you already knew that.

One thing that may suit your fancy if you're trying to save some length is use a 12 or maybe 14 inch barrel, but a ported reflex suppressor. I know that sounds counter-intuitive to use a longer barrel if you're wanting to keep the OAL shorter, but a reflex suppressor attaches differently.

If you type in reflex sound moderator, you'll get a lot of European hits, but reflex cans do save a lot of length without sacrificing sound reduction because they slide over the barrel instead of threading directly to the muzzle.

I'm not sure why they're not more popular here in the states than what they are but it may give you some idea's.

Umarex HK MP5 A2 22LR

I just got one last week and it's awesome. It's made by Carl Walther in Germany and imported by Umarex. It is licensed by HK. So far about 600 rounds down the pipe with zero issues with different brands of ammo. Is pretty accurate and fun to shoot. These are very solid and the weight is almost close to the real MP5. The clean up is not too simple but is not hard once you do it a couple times. The mags are excellent and easy to load. The sights are different but they are easy to zero in. The collapsible stock woobles if you move it by hand but once you put it against your shoulder it doesn't move. I order the full stock and a rail mount to add a red dot or small scope. I bought the A2 version with a fake suppressor. The suppressor is actually a barrel shroud. The barrel is 16inch long. They also sell this neat rifle in the SD version.

IMGP2858.jpg

IMGP2859.jpg

IMGP2870.jpg

IMGP2863.jpg

IMGP2864.jpg

IMGP2871.jpg

Re: Umarex HK MP5 A2 22LR

Very nice!

It's good to see someone actully had the foresight to get permission from H&K first. I've always liked the design and feel of the MP5 platform. Congrats on the new plinker...

Re: Umarex HK MP5 A2 22LR

ATI settled with HK out of court about the GSG several years back. And it didn't help them that the ATF classified one version of their fake silencer as a real silencer that required returning the gun for a retrograde either.

more about that here if you are interested in reading it:
http://oa2.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10119

But in all fairness, there are several companies that make "clones" in various calibers.

The 22 clones are vastly different in numerous ways from the larger calibers that HK makes. It's just the Umarex "looks" like it on the outside. But I understand the bolt and the interior channels and the likes on the 22 are very different from the HK design.

On the HK version of this style weapon, if the buttstock wiggles even a little, will almost certainly gaurantee that you will experience cycling failures.

I think HK was butthurt with the GSG because it was so successful, and the actual HK 22 trainers that used conversion kits in the 70's were generally a marketing FLOP.

Bad timing I suppose.

Back