• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I take my 464 SPX to the range

andrew678122

.270 WIN
A couple of days ago I took my baby to the range. This is my baby, have I shown you this before?
DSC08047b.jpg

I tried some of my reloads but they were all over the place, so then I tried some Remington factory loads and shot this:
DSC08048.JPG

less than an inch at 50 yards! Still shooting the Remingtons, I had another group at 1.5 inch+ and one at 1.75 inch.

I was down after shooting my reloads and shooting the Remington factory loads really helped. Now I just have to try and figure out what's wrong with my reloads...

That's a good looking rifle and some mighty fine shootin there! Can't help ya with the reloads issure though. good luck!

I'm still having problems with my reloads. I'm sure part of the problem is with the shooter (me). I always shoot the best groups when I first arrive at the range, and I seem to deteriorate as time goes on. My control groups shot with Remington Core-Lokt 150gr were shot first.

This is my latest control group, again shot when I first got to the range:
DSC08116.JPG

Next time at the range I'm going to shoot some reloads first just to test my theory.

It would also help to have a decent bench rest; all I'm using right now is a bipod. I'm 69 years old and just not as steady as I should be. That's not an excuse, just a comment, I kinda like being 69...

Hi Andrew, I realize this is an old post but I just joined this board and thought you might see this post anyway. I'm wondering if your first group of the day being the thightest isn't all on you. Do you fire a three shot group then let the rifle cool or do you continue firing groups without much cool down time between them? I may be telling you something you already know, if so I appoligize, but all rifles that use barrel bands loose accuracy as they warm up. The barrel heats up and expands faster than the band does. The band then becomes a fulcrum which the barrel actually bends around. Everything goes back to true with cool down. Hope this helps.

I've thought about that, but I think it's probably just me. I'm 69 and though the desire to put the bullets where they're supposed to go hasn't changed, the ability to do so has. I find that if I force myself, I can keep my groups consistent, it's only when I relax...

have you checked your crimps? are they consistent? what is your depriming and case forming regimen? do they group well in another rifle?

Back