• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stiff trigger pull on my 590a1, how to lighten?

ManGoat

Copper BB
I recently purchased a 590a1 and i love it! only issue i have is with the stiff trigger pull. is there anything i can do to lighten it? a trigger kit or a new hammer or something? i put a new hammer on my 10/22 and lowered the pull to around 2.5-3 lbs. i'm looking for something around the 5lb range for my shotgun. any suggestions?

Hi, and welcome to MO!

i had seen something about bein able to adjust a screw that would take all the slack out of the trigger, but I dont know about the pull.

I never considered the pull to be that bad, though as the 590/590A1 is considered a combat shotgun or law enforcement shotgun, the trigger is generally a little heavier.

I really dont know how to make it lighter. Sorry man.

thanks anyways guys! i got the 590a1 for a home defense/hunting shotgun and everything in between. and yeah there is a set screw on the back of the trigger assembly, buy i don't think it does anything for the pull. but yeah, thanks alot anyways! this forum is awsome and i'm happy to be a part of it!

I'm wondering if this will help:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7NITOgpshs[/youtube]

The video being shot with an Iphone looks like CRAP.
Adjusting or sanding the safety sounds like bad news to me.

I Hunt shoot Skeet and Sporting Clays with my 500 and have NO problem with trigger pull.
It is a shotgun and works like it is meant to.

LEAVE IT ALONE......JMHO!

Quick Edit:

And I am the guy that is constantly doing my own gunsmithing....still would not do it to a 500.

yeah i'm not gonna mess with my safety. with my 10/22 i got a new hammer. you can see in the video the sharp angles of the hammer, particularly the end. with my 10/22 the has a rounded end. thats the kinda thing i'm looking for. i'm not a gunsmith, i don't want to pretend to be. i'm looking for a drop in hammer or a professionally modified trigger group. thanks for the video and the responses though!

I wouldn't miss with trigger on the 500/590 series. It has a few very small parts that will make the shotgun unsafe if you don't put them back in right.
If you pull the FCG and send it to Mike at Aimpro they can work on it and really improve the feel.

IMHO unless you are making a designated slug gun where you are trying to tweek every bit of accuracy out of it i woould not mess with it. (and even then I probably would not touch it.

I find that the best way to smooth out a trigger, in any platform, is to put a few 1000 rounds through it. :lol:

MikeD said:
IMHO unless you are making a designated slug gun where you are trying to tweek every bit of accuracy out of it i woould not mess with it. (and even then I probably would not touch it.

I find that the best way to smooth out a trigger, in any platform, is to put a few 1000 rounds through it. :lol:
If this was Facebook, I would be clicking the like button on this post!!! :lol:

LTB45 said:
MikeD said:

Closest we have are rep points....just sayin.... LOL :lol: :lol:

MikeD said:
LTB45 said:
MikeD said:

Closest we have are rep points....just sayin.... LOL :lol: :lol:
You got it ;)

I do like a Great Trigger, and a Very Smooth trigger pull, I did a trigger job on my 10/22, polished some parts to smooth out the Trigger pull.

I like the idea of putting in a over travel set screw, and taking out the creep.

Back