• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: question regarding the bolt release/quick unload button

I'm not even sure that it's spring tension now....it did it to me from the first round to the last when most tension issues should be relieved...

Re: Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube*more pics added*

Went to the range today to shot some clays. Shot 48 rounds of bird shot. Got home and took the gun apart to clean it. Guess what..Got a new scratch mark on the bottom of the new magazine tube :shock: Well the new parts they put on lasted about 100 rounds..Then something must have gotten misaligned with the piston spring that is causing it to scratch up the tube again when taking it apart.

There is no excuse for these guns to be coming back with the same defect they were sent in to have fixed. If these were $200 Hi-Point firearms I would understand, but I shelled out $619 + tax for my 930 SPX and for that price I expect a well designed, well constructed gun. If my gun comes back with the same problems it had when I sent it out, I'm going to serisouly consider dumping it and saving up some bucks to buy a real gun, like a Benelli.

Steamdonkey said:
There is no excuse for these guns to be coming back with the same defect they were sent in to have fixed. If these were $200 Hi-Point firearms I would understand, but I shelled out $619 + tax for my 930 SPX and for that price I expect a well designed, well constructed gun. If my gun comes back with the same problems it had when I sent it out, I'm going to serisouly consider dumping it and saving up some bucks to buy a real gun, like a Benelli.

Yea Im beyond pissed off at this point. Last time it got so bad I couldnt even get the barrel back on and shipped it back not together. The bent extension tube and spring issue was solved. I would hate to send it back and end up with a whole new gun with new problems. This is a lot of issues to be dealing with on a new gun. Sure Mossberg got the gun back to me fast, but the damn thing is defective again. I'll try to get it to the range next week and see if it gets worse.

I have come to the point of realization that unless we start a top down effort to improve things it will never get better at Mossberg. Call the CEO. Demand satisfaction. Make them aware of what is going on here at this forum.
Best....

Seems like these new black gas springs all do this scratching. not cool.

What was the best of the past springs? I know there was a blue one and a red one, but I'm not sure which was more reliable. I know one handled a wide variety of loads really well and one had ftf and fte like crazy....

I'd like to know which was best cause I'm going to specifically request they provide me with the best one when i send mine in a month or so from now.... had like 3 misfires recently they even dent the primer cap of different loads but don't fire for some reason, prob not hitting it hard enough..... also major wear on my bolt carrier doesn't bode well

As to the spring color question, I'm not convinced anyone really got to bottom of if there is a difference in strength based on colors of red, blue or black. At one time, we thought we had a definitive answer, but then a good service rep who has since moved on sent word that in reality there was no difference in strength. I would like to know as well. m24shooter may have the best inside sources, perhaps PM him.
Best...

I purchased a 930HS a couple of weeks ago and also have the scratch/galling marks on the magazine tube. I noticed it as soon as I disassembled for initial cleaning. I put 50 rounds through it which were mixed brass and it shot flawless. When I disassembled afterwards for cleaning, it had an additional scratch or gall in the same location. It seems to happen each time I reassemble the gun.

I contacted Mossberg Service and they are sending me a prepaid label to have service done on it. I will be following this thread and post an update when the 930 returns from Mossberg.

Howdy davec611 and welcome to the club.

Mine came back today. Fast turn around from Mossberg but communication is definitely lacking. I haven't had a chance to test it in the field but the gas piston assembly on the barrel slides easily down the mag tube now and doesn't leave any scratches. That's the good news. The maybe not so good news is that it appears the only thing they did was grind down the offending inner edge of the spring end that was causing the scratches. The spring itself still doesn't appear to be centered in the gas piston housing and I'm concerned I'll get the same wear and galling as before when the spring was rubbing against the mag tube. I guess time will tell.

I went out today and shot 50 low brass and 20 high brass loads and while it functioned perfectly, it appears the mag tube is still taking a beating from the gas piston assembly. I suppose I can live with it as long as it keeps working well and the mag tube doesn't need replacing every 500 rounds.

Anyone know the life expectancy of a gun like this? With proper care I would hope it would last 10,000+ rounds before needing major component replacements.

Those are two of the complaints/issues/flaws that I identified early on in my review.
It is easy to hit the bolt release and have two rounds end up on the carrier, with one in transition from the mag tube to the carrier. It will make the shotgun inop.
The second is the lack of a clearance cut on the lifter. With a clearance cut it would be much easier to use an implement to force the round back beyond the shell stops.

I agree, a slot in the middle of the lifter would be great....

I got it down to a thumb and finger movement now and can reseat the round in the mag clearing the jam in a couple seconds... Still sucks to have to do so, but it's a flaw I'm stuck with so might as well practice clearing it so i can identify and clear it in an emergency...

I'll make a quick youtube clip of my method...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOH1Mx1Q9kM[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/WOH1Mx1Q9kM?hd=1

A bit lengthy, shot with my phone (which is actually 1080p but shot sideways so its aspect is off) and prob not the best angle... but it will do...

What's wrong with my 930 SPX?!?!

So last night I took it apart to do a normal rub down with oil and I put it back together. I loaded up the magazine tube before I re-installed my Nordic clamp/rail. Loaded 7 perfectly fine, then I installed the Nordic clamp and loaded the magazine tube again and the follower and spring gets jammed up in the tube. What the hell!! This is the first time I've experienced this and this.

I had a buyer who was going to buy this, but I will not sell a firearm that doesn't function like it should. I took apart the SPX 5 times to check for anything abnormal, but nothing. The follower is in correctly and there are no kinks in the spring. It seems to happen only when the Nordic clamp is installed. Also, it's only letting me fit 6 shells vs 7 AND 7 shells fit fine when the Nordic clamp isn't on. What could this be? This shotgun only has 90-100 rounds through it too. I checked the magazine extension and it doesn't look crooked or dented. It screws on fine just like it did when it was new.

After I noticed the scratch last week on the new replacement tube I decided to take a look at the spring. I found a very small high spot where it looks the spring moved slightly and the end of the spring was making contact with the tube. So I took out the file and filed it down. I also buffed out the new scratch. After that the barrel slid on easy again. Took it to the range and shot 90 rounds of birdshot. Inspected the tube and all is good. Finished it up today bluing the tube where I had buffed the scratch. I'll be heading back to the range this weekend. Hope this is it with issues.

Re: What's wrong with my 930 SPX?!?!

Are you over-tightening the clamp?

That's the only thing I can figure if it's not happening with the clamp off...

I took my gas system spring out and noticed when it's relaxed to its free length it's crooked, meaning the ends aren't parallel. I don't know if it straightens out under compression but if not, that would do a lot to explain a why mag tube is getting trashed. It also doesn't help that the I.D. of the gas system cylinder is notably larger then the O.D. of the spring, which lets it slip off center easily. If I can get a straight spring from Mossberg and shim the spring to keep it centered, I might have a firearm that doesn’t self-destruct. The only problem is I won’t get a new spring until I take a day off work and spend some quality time with my phone as I wait for customer service to take my call. They’re apparently unwilling or unable to communicate via email. This company is seriously pissing me off.

Back