• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to the family Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch! Question

Welp, I ordered my first shotgun!! Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch! I really liked the features and the look of this and the main purpose is HD and at the range.

I do have one question, will the factory mossberg heatshield work with the barrel? I haven't see pictures of it, but I have seen pictures of the standard breacher 18.5 with the heatshield on it..etc.

I plan on replacing the plastic safety to the metal brownells tactical one.

I know the heatshield will have no affect or benefit for a HD gun but honestly I just really like the look of it. That's the only two things I want to add to the gun.. I just want to shoot it and enjoy it!

Anyone that has the Thunder Ranch know if the finish is blue or parkerized? I have read that it states blue but everything I've seen it's a matte looking black finish, not your typical shiny blue...

Thanks much,
-Nigel

Welcome from MI!!

I am partial to the parkerized finish myself. My 870 is parkerized and it has been pretty impervious to scratches and wear. It still looks good some 20+ years later.

All three of my Mossbergs are park'd. Couple of my 1911's too. Guess I kinda like the matted look a little better than a blued finish...

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Nigel !!

Looking forward to the pics of that new shotty...

So I ordered the Aimpro tactical heatshield in parkerized and ordered a 4 shell mesa tactical side saddle.. other than replacing the safety with a metal one I'm not doing anything else.

Can't wait to get everything! I'm a little concerned hearing about Aimpro though and how slow or lack of communications are... hopefully that's not the case as I received a prompt email confirming my order but we'll see what happens next...

-Nigel

Hmm,

I've always had great service from Aimpro. They've always been responsive and very helpful on the few occasions when I've called them...

Should have the shotgun tomorrow! According to UPS, can't wait! Will post pictures as soon as it's in my hands!!

So excited! Do you guys recommend anything as far as maintance or anything like that..? I clean my gun pretty much after range trip, is the shotgun the same deal?

Thanks,
-Nigel

clean it when you first get and i clean mine after ever time i shoot it , only takes a few minutes every time . take down is a breeze after you do it a few times .

^ Yes Sir!

Mossbergs have a tendancy to ship from the factory caked in grease and sometimes covered in debris from the shipping material. A thorough cleaning will go a LONG way toward making sure your first range trip is a good one. The take-down and cleaning will also help you become familiar with the 500's internal operation. Keep us posted when you get it...

Back