• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Forends

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
No problem, glad to help.

If you decide to pick one up check out m1surplus.com. They sell the UTG forend with the rails as a package for a great price. Most other places sell them separately.

Oh and in that Phoenix link you posted the description starts by saying that the forend will fit Mossberg 12ga models, and then states that it does not fit the 500A. Not sure which 12ga Mossberg it's supposed to fit in the first place...

I already found them on m1surplus and have it bookmarked. :D

Yeah, I saw that, but not being all that familiar with pump guns of any kind before 10 days ago when I got my 950A1, I just mainly wanted the adjustable recoil reducing stock with the forend in the kit just being gravy. I figured if it worked, great but if not, oh well.

I too am slightly confused about 500/590 tube forends not fitting correctly due to the heavy barrel of the 590a1. Is the shotgun in Blue's setup and images a 590a1 or just a 590? Can anyone confirm whether or not his setup is compatible with that of a 590A1?

this is the setup I am mentioning above for those who do not want to scroll around the thread
http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-and- ... -sale.html

Hey Lazy,

I noticed in your 2 railed forearm pics, you run a short vert grip on one and the Magpul AFG on another. Any preference points or just some variety? I just ordered a Mako vert grip for my tri-rail but I am eyeing that AFG too....

I've always run AFGs on my ARs, so the transition to shotgun is more natural for me with the AFG. I definitely prefer the feel of the AFG over the vert grip. The only reason I use the vert grip on the 590 is because the recoil reduction system in the Knoxx stock allows the gun to move slightly rearward when fired and the hand stop on the AFG would smack my knuckle. It wasn't pleasant. With the Hogue short L.O.P stock and AFG on my 590a1, I don't have that issue.

Gotcha. I suppose that little piece up front on the AFG wasnt really designed with snappy recoil in mind.

I just ordered a Mako vert grip predominantly due to oppinions of solid lock up and ability to mount a light/laser pressure pad on either side of the grip. I'll report back here on my oppinion about fit and function. I have to say that I am partial to the asthetics of the AFG though.

Best thing about these types of add-ons is that they're relatively cheap if you change your mind. Looking forward to your impressions on the vert grip once you get it set up...

Ok, got my grip. Here's a few pics. I am impressed with FAB (Mako) accessories so far.The forearm here is the same manufacturer. They seen professional grade. Pressure switch removable plates on both sides if you want to intergrate a light ( I DO ) and the cap screws off of the bottom and has a spring to securely hold a set of spare batteries. More to report after a range trip :D

Lovin' my new under-the-bed partner!

Attachments

• 2012-08-20_18-55-08_446-resize.jpg
    2012-08-20_18-55-08_446-resize.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 3,025
  • 2012-08-20_19-01-44_537-resize.jpg
    2012-08-20_19-01-44_537-resize.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3,025
  • 2012-08-20_18-59-24_890-resize.jpg
    2012-08-20_18-59-24_890-resize.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,026
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
That particular pic is my 590, but here's a pic of the same forend on my a1...

Fits like it was made for it...

Hello there, long time lurker here. Guess I have to post a bit to be able to send private messages, so I guess I'll ask this here in the open where everyone can see my shame. :(

I recently purchased my first Mossberg 590 (50299), and I'm currently shopping around for a new forearm. Would this UTG 3 rail work? I read about the different style action tubes, but still confused on how to tell which one I have. I'm really hoping I can just swap forearms without having to purchase a new tube.

As you can see in the link above, this 590 doesn't have the bayonet lug as other 590's, so some accessories are out of reach for me I think. I bought the Laserlyte tri rail to hold a light, but it's got some wiggle I'm not comfortable with. The packaging said to use the heatshield (which I bought from Mossberg for $30) screws to hold it snug, but the heatshield sits considerably back from the barrel/magtube lug at the end of the gun which; in turn...would give me tons of barrel shadowing in the dark. So my train of though would be to ditch the laserlyte and install this UTG forearm, I love the look of it over the Mako and it's in my budget. Boy do those surefire's look awesome though.

Also, concerning tru-glo sights...possible to replace the factory bead with one of these? Any links would be appreciated!

A question of slings. I purchased some blackhawk lokdown swivels (in nickel), when installed (on the magtube cap) sometimes the swivel rotates and sits in front of the barrel upside down. This is a safety issue right? Perhaps a few suggestions on a single point sling?

One more question (for now :p) If I were to decide to get a wood stock/forearm for this beautiful Mariner, what brand/company would you recommend?

Sorry for the ranting and so many questions, and I apologize if this isn't the correct section. But I'd really like some input on the forearm. Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate the help!

Welcome aboard!

That's an incredible looking 590 you have there. As far as the forend goes, you shouldn't have any issues installing the UTG on your 590. The 500 models have a lot of different forend styles, but the 590s have been pretty consistent so far. My 590 has the 7-5/8" tube and I've got the same UTG forend on it as well...

Which Tru-Glo sight were you looking at?

There are a ton of single-point slings out there. Are you planning on adding a rear sling attachment point? We have a sub-forum dedicated to slings if you want to take a look at what our members are using...

Slings

As far as wood furniture goes, it's hard to beat the Mossberg wood stock/forend sets. There are a ton of them floating around for sale out there since a lot of folks seem to be switching their field guns to more tactical looking furniture.

You'll never have to apologize for asking questions around here. That's what we're all here for. If there is anything esle you'd like to know, ask away...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard!

That's an incredible looking 590 you have there. As far as the forend goes, you shouldn't have any issues installing the UTG on your 590. The 500 models have a lot of different forend styles, but the 590s have been pretty consistent so far. My 590 has the 7-5/8" tube and I've got the same UTG forend on it as well...

Which Tru-Glo sight were you looking at?

There are a ton of single-point slings out there. Are you planning on adding a rear sling attachment point? We have a sub-forum dedicated to slings if you want to take a look at what our members are using...

Slings

As far as wood furniture goes, it's hard to beat the Mossberg wood stock/forend sets. There are a ton of them floating around for sale out there since a lot of folks seem to be switching their field guns to more tactical looking furniture.

You'll never have to apologize for asking questions around here. That's what we're all here for. If there is anything esle you'd like to know, ask away...

I really hope you're right about the forend, it's probably the next best thing next to a surefire right? Guess I'll have to tear her down and measure the tube.

I can't seem to link the truglo I'm looking at, but it's their fiber optic home defense universal mount. It's listed under their "tactical" heading. I just have no idea how it mounts to the barrel, they don't give any description.

I also thought about getting a Meprolight bead.

I'm currently using a Blackhawk spec-ops w/powerpak. It has, I believe; a QD hole and a swivel base. But would gladly install a GGGAZ sling plate or the like. Thanks for the link!

Yes Sir!

Is this the TruGlo you're talking about?

HOME DEFENSE FIBER OPTIC UNIVERSAL SHOTGUN SIGHT

If so it looks like a nice option for outdoors or for shooting indoors with good lighting. The only problem with fiber optics is that they rely on ambient light to function. When light is dim or it's dark, the sight gives you no advantage over a standard bead.

In my opinion, and that's all it is, the Meprolight bead is the better option for home defense. The Meprolight bead is a bit more expensive, but the Tritium is bright in low light and glows especially bright in complete darkness. In daylight the white backgroung is highly visible as well. There's one thing to look out for if you decide to order the Meprolight bead, or ANY night sights for that matter. Try to call ahead and find out on what date the item they'll be sending you was made. Meprolight guarantees a 12 year life span on their sights, but they do reach a peak luminescence somewhere in the 7-9 year range. Depending on where you buy them, some aftermarket sights can sit in warehouse stock for several years before they're sold/shipped. This can mean that their expected life-span could be half over by the time they're in your hands.

All said, I use both fiber optics and tritium sights on a few of my firearms. I like them both, but for use as an upgrade for home defense I'd go with the Meprolight in a heartbeat...

That's the one.

I had no idea about the tritium half-life, very interesting stuff. I'll probably go with the meprolight if I can't find a better option. Man, I love this forum; it really is a wealth of information. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

I just added this ATI Talon 5-Sided Aluminum Forend, along with a TRL-1s tactical light by Streamlight... I installed it using the ATI Mag-Socket Wrench. Take a look.

phpn5USAkAM.jpg

Now that we like Sanman! Can we throw this one up on our Facebook page? Or if you want to take a better one and Share it there feel free.

Appreciate the business and isn't that mag-socket wrench handy?

Thanks! Yeah that mag-socket wrench works great. No need to take apart the whole gun just to install the forend.. I'll take another pic when theres more natural light, its cloudy here in NY today.

Back