• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

^^^Yeah what that guy said! Well done, I couldnt have explained that!

What I'll say about the dot moving, say on my Bushnell for example, as I move my head, the dot moves too, but its still on target. Whatever I point at and put the dot on is infact on target. I guess thats the parallax free part. Its the beauty of a red dot and is how it makes target aquisition so fast, you dont have to be lined up exactly on the irons!

Jimmy, I'd love to get a hold of one of the EOTechs!!!

^ The difference there is in REFLEX red dot vs. HOLOGRAPHIC sights.

Most inexpensive red dots are the reflex variety. They use a relatively low power LED light that produces a reticle at a singular point in the center of the HUD. A holographic sight utilizes a more powerful laser that bounces around and is distorted to produce an often more complex and intense reticle that is projected everywhere in the HUD. Once a holographic sight is zeroed, no matter where the eye picks up the reticle on the HUD it is still aligned with the point of aim/impact...

Ok so just to be sure the sightmark is a reflex correct? And once its zeroed the dot is the poi? No matter where my ear sees it in the sight window ? I am new to red dots and have only used one once

The Sightmark Mini Shot is a simple reflex red dot.

With this type of sight you will still need to make sure the dot is in the visual center of the display to maintain your zeroed POI. I use the Mini Shot personally and have never had any accuracy issues. Keeping the dot centered is instinctive during target acquisition and becomes second nature very quickly. It's a great, inexpensive sight and in my opinion is an excellent option for both shotguns and rifles...

Ok how is your cheek weld with the sight mounted on the rail I am thinking about modifieing the base it self and haveing it mounted directly to the reciver. And would you recomend it to a first time red dot user or would something like a tube style be.better

Anyone try one of these Bushnell's yet?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-first-strike-illuminated-red-dot-sight.html

opplanet-bushnell-trophy-first-strike-matte-black-red-dot-scope-ilum-730005.jpg

Good lookin little red dot mister_e,

I haven't had a ny experience with that one though. Haven't seen you around in a while, hope all is well...

Hey LES,

Ya, everything's fine. Just been real busy working on finishing a degree, so I can figure out what I'm gonna be when I grow up ;)

I saw this little red dot at Wally-world for $129. Looked very well built, and from what I could tell, the dot is 5 MOA. I would prefer to have it closer to 3, but for HD or CQB ranges, 5 MOA would be fine.

It is extremely light, too. From what I've read on it, one review said to expect about 3K hours on a battery, so that's not too bad.

I'm hoping to pick one up towards the end of the month and see what it can do. It's $40 more than a TRS-25 or even the Primary Weapons red dot, so I'm hoping it's worth it.

But what the heck, I'll be buying it from WW, so if it doesn't work out, I'll just refund it ;)

I'm still around, just have time for lurking now and then. I just had some extra time today. :lol:

Well good to see ya around Sir,

I certainly understand about being busy. Keep us posted on the little Burris when you get it...

I just installed this Truglo dot sight on my 590.
http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-TG8230TBN- ... B008KUM32K
The reticle is much like my AR Eotech. I am very happy w/ it so far but that's only a box of birdshot and ten slugs. I hope it holds up. BTW it comes w/ a pressure switch which I haven't tried yet on the gun. Works nice on the bench tho. If you have the sight turned on w/o the switch, when you plug in the switch it goes off. Comes on automatically then when the switch feels pressure so this may go on the gun cause it would be great for HD as there would be no need to remember anything.BTW, the middle of three brightness settings was fine in daylight.

Any Y'all run into this with your TRS-25 Trophy Dot

Just received this little sucker after returning a ''Sightmark Mini Shot Pro'' due to missing contents & looking to get a lower sighting plane. Read some really positive things about it but received this one & there is a mound of what looks like solder/flux inside the tunnel/tube. I Specifically got this unit specifically because, believe it or not, it has a lower sighting plane than the Mini Shot. Yes it looks bigger but the mount is concaved & the tube sits in lower allowing for a better check weld with the OEM stock on my 18bbl 590A1 running a self modified speed feed..

I really love the little guy but.... that solder mound mentioned before looks as if it could possibly interfere with the FOV given the right circumstances. As in it could block out part of a target at longer ranges or the dot will disappear behind it.

Id like to hear some feedback from people who have SHOT with it or people who have seen this oversized mound of solder in person. After all is is produced in China so my instincts tell me to exchange it but.....

1. I don't want to return it if this is just how they are & I am going to end up with the same exact circumstances. Plus the possibility of having the exchange unit having other known defects.
2. I've already returned the Sightmark so I'll be out an optic a for a bit. (I know.. cry me a river)
3. I don't like the post office lady!

Here are a few pics
pyvuqyja.jpg

The above pic is about the angle id be veiwing through the sight with proper cheek weld. So the small imperfection now becomes a problem of loosing the dot behind the glob.

utazehu2.jpg
a2yzazyt.jpg
5e4aha9e.jpg
e2a4e2er.jpg
ade8aheg.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jimmycrackcorn,

I am not sure, but is that "Solder Lump" where the red dot laser shines from? Definatly looks like poor finishing. How is the function? I think it could go 3 ways. One, you get use to it and it works fine. Two, it bugs the hell out of you each time. 3, you return it and get another sight. Have you contacted the seller, or the manufaturer?

If you shoot with both eyes open, I dont think you will have a FOV issue with the sight. The Sight Mark that I got, I had to reteach myself to shoot with both eyes open (use to closing one eye looking through a scope). I really like it.

Frank

Frank Castle said:
Jimmycrackcorn,

I am not sure, but is that "Solder Lump" where the red dot laser shines from? Definatly looks like poor finishing. How is the function? I think it could go 3 ways. One, you get use to it and it works fine. Two, it bugs the hell out of you each time. 3, you return it and get another sight. Have you contacted the seller, or the manufaturer?

If you shoot with both eyes open, I dont think you will have a FOV issue with the sight. The Sight Mark that I got, I had to reteach myself to shoot with both eyes open (use to closing one eye looking through a scope). I really like it.

Frank

Hi Frank, Even though this one will bug the hell out of me Yes i could probably get used to the led placement if it the solder wasn't so high & it was to spec. With a proper cheek weld on the stock, two eyes open & the sight zeroed, the dot ends up in the lower half of the tube so chances of it becoming an obstruction are greatly increased. If I was running a different stock, say a m4 style then it might not be an issue..

Seller is amazon.
I was having a conversation earlier with someone about thinking that all these good deals are actually factory seconds seeing as this isn't the first sight defected that has been on my SG this week. The first one went back, this one is going the same way i believe as long as they pay their way on the shipping.

Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jimmy.

That's awful and def should not be there. I've always heard good things about these sights and have considered getting one myself at some point, there are a few things that make them stand out, but that lump is not one of those things.

I guess when buying on Amazon, be sure to look at the seller and make sure its a reputable company, like Midway for example.

Keep us posted man.

Rossignol said:
Jimmy.

That's awful and def should not be there. I've always heard good things about these sights and have considered getting one myself at some point, there are a few things that make them stand out, but that lump is not one of those things.

I guess when buying on Amazon, be sure to look at the seller and make sure its a reputable company, like Midway for example.

Keep us posted man.

Yeah dude, I don't think imma gunna be able to roll with this one, its just not ok with me. Not to mention I'll get ragged on by my buddies for having a retarded red dot. Haha... Plus I always keep resale in mind. I think I might just save a few pennies & get a trijicon rmr, FF or a Leupold. Idk.. At this point my brain is scattered & my likes/dislikes are so inconsistent.:?. I've had the FF style & the TRS style, i can make either work but i know I like the open design better & i know the tube had a better sight plane.....:evil: (you should see me car shop...it gets worse)

What i really want & always have is GRS, not OFM's though. I've been really putting in some research on procuring a set that doesn't need to be soldered & isn't banded. I don't trust anyone around here to do them with out unsoldering my barrel lug in the process. They are all just "know it alls'' around here & i doubt they would use the correct steps including using the heat absorbing compound so the lug isn't affected . Ive tried to explain this to them, but you try to get a word in regarding a process & they dont want to hear you, especially if you say "I've read" or "a buddy" & then talk about a negative gunsmithing experience. So with that being said, I've come across a few articles about installing ghost ring sights yourself. It really doesn't seem that difficult if you take the correct steps. Also, there are ways to do it, that don't include ruining the finish on your Barrel.

What i think I might try is the Trijicon GRS's Front & the XS GRS Rear/picatinny. I know... Odd combination..lol. Although the Trijicon front is only for the Remington, Ive heard the installation of them are extremely easy, the front mounts directly over the front bead pedestal (on the 870). Now, I'm thinking... If I can get a Remington front pedestal for cheap $$ & screw it into the existing bead hole, I will be able to install the Trijicon. From what I've heard it will mount directly over it the bead with a strong epoxy on a bare metal to metal surface. That's it.. That easy & BAM... I've got myself a front blade... No soldering no re-parkerizing! (Actually a little more involved than that but ill loseya explaining it)The rear doesn't even need explanation... It just bolts right in.

There are area other combinations I've seen done at this point that just include drilling but that one is the easiest to explain via keystroke.. I might go with the described in the above paragraph or something else, it all depends what i hear back from Mr. Vang Comp.
The trick is, is to see where i can find these parts single. As long as i can get a rear with a 1913rail & a low enough or high front, I can have best of both worlds & mount the red dot. I know I just added a third wheel to this project butt this is where the wagon is headed for now.

Let me know if you come across any bead pedastals in your travels, I can't seem to find them anywhere! Maybe I'm searching wrong. Check out these links, they are sucsessfull self GRS installs w/out soldering.. They just thought outside the mainstream box & ignored the gunsmiths that told them it couldn't be done.!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96928

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-500-pistol-grip-spx-upgrade-project-36516/

Jimmy, I checked both of my TRS-25's and they have the same thing in the same place. On my AR I can reach out to 400 yards with it and out to 100 with my 930. When I shoot I just concentrate on the dot and target and nothing else. When I got my first one I thought it was odd and when I got my second one and it had it also, I'd paid no more attention to it because it was accurate and held zero very well. But at the end of the day when it all boils down, it is what makes Jimmy happy. I do have my eye on the AimPoint PRO when they do brake.

BenSamp said:
Jimmy, I checked both of my TRS-25's and they have the same thing in the same place. On my AR I can reach out to 400 yards with it and out to 100 with my 930. When I shoot I just concentrate on the dot and target and nothing else. When I got my first one I thought it was odd and when I got my second one and it had it also, I'd paid no more attention to it because it was accurate and held zero very well. But at the end of the day when it all boils down, it is what makes Jimmy happy. I do have my eye on the AimPoint PRO when they do brake.

Ahhh haa! I C.. They are all like that.. Mine doesn't seem larger than the norm to you?

What is the Aim point Pro?

Back