• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Kimber

I was able to work out a deal on the Kimber we could both live with so I brought it home. Need to order a set of VZ grips as soon as I can decide which ones I want to go with. It needs a good cleaning too. All I've got is a cell camera ATM but here's a pic.

DSC00812.jpg

Congrats on the Ultra CDP jd!

That's awesome man. I'm lookin forward to your report of how she does on your first range trip. I don't have any experience with js gun grips, but I can't say enough good things about my VZ Grips though...

Took the CDP II to the range a couple times. Man, it's an accurate little shooter! I've ran about 200 rounds through it with zero issues. It's now my EDC. It feels a lot better with the VZ's on it too.

DSC00830_zps662fe62f.jpg

Good to see she's runnin well jd,

It's one helluva straight shooter for a 3" barrel isn't it?! Those ETCs look amazing with the bi-tone. That's the black desert sand right?

I was happily surprised at how damn accurate it is. Yep, black desert sand on the VZs, love the ETC's too. I might get a set of black cherry without the thumb notch.

Beautiful pieces of hardware here ladies and gentlemen.....

My spousal unit has agreed to let me pick up a new Kimber at the start of the year (after she gets a new wedding set, yada yada....lol). Right now I'm leaning towards the Ultra Crimson Carry II although the Stainless Ultra TLE II with the Laser Grips looks nice as well. Since I live here in the Peoples Republik of Illinois I don't have to take concealability into account but I'm still focusing on the Ultra models in the off chance that our politicians screw up and give us the option of protecting ourselves.

I REALLY want a Wilson Combat piece.......But that discussion with the wife went along the lines of "yak,yak.....Don't love you that much.....blah, blah......truckstop......bwah, bwah.....lipstick.....yadda, yadda"

I think we've all had that conversation a time or two. :D

Good luck get'n it figured out and be sure to keep us posted on what you end up with...

Any one here have any experience with the Kimber Solo? I handled one yesterday for the first time and it felt like it was made for my hand. Way better ergonomics than my beloved Sig P290. Thinking real hard about picking it up, but don't want to jump the gun and buy a POS.
All the reviews I read have been positive, but they were all national publications, so they won't beat up the pistol to bad. I never really trust them anymore, but are a good source for info about the particulars of the gun.
I can get the all stainless for $770, which I believe is MSRP. He has 8 round mags for $22.95. Night sights from Optics planet for $95 w/ free shipping. Desantis Intruder holster for $51. That's alot of money for a pocket 9mm, but man, it is NICE! Without a doubt the nicest micro 9 I have handled. Definately nicer and lighter than my P290. I can see carrying this little auto all day with no trouble at all.

tcecil88 said:
Any one here have any experience with the Kimber Solo? I handled one yesterday for the first time and it felt like it was made for my hand. Way better ergonomics than my beloved Sig P290. Without a doubt the nicest micro 9 I have handled.

My chief has one and I've handled his but not shot it (yet).

It is freekin' amazing in the feel and finish department. I feel like I'm holding a piece of fine craftsmanship, almost like a work of art or jewelery. He reports that his SOLO has fed and fired reliably from brand new in the box up till now.

It of course has the ambi magazine release, and also an ambi thumb safety (which feels exquisite).

His only complaint is that the magazine release is very stiff. I noticed that myself and also the fact that you must reposition the gun in your hand rather substantially to hit the release. My chief says that with a loaded magazine in the gun it is almost painful to press the release hard enough to drop the fully loaded mag.

And yep, the guns are going for MSRP at most places where we're seeing them around here.

It sure seems to me to be a really high quality gun.

Well Nitesite, I traded off my S&W 329NG for it. I never shot it and I have 2 other .44's, so it went.
First off, as Nitesite said, fit and finish are awesome. The weapon has an ambi safety, which I am glad for. The trigger is way smoother, shorter, and lighter than my Sig P290. When loaded with 7 rounds, it is still lighter that the P290.
The safety is a must for pocket carry on this little blaster, even in the cargo pocket where I will carry it. Ergonomics are great, and a Hogue grip is not needed for this one as it feels like an old bar of soap. All edges are rounded off.
As far as the stiffness of the mag release, it is really stiff. If you push up on the bottom of the loaded mag, it disengages much easier though. I imagine it will lighten up over time though,
I picked up three 8 round mags for it and am ordering three 6 rounders as well.
I ordered Meprolight night sights and a Desantis Intruder holster for it. As soon as the sights are installed, I will begin working this little gun into the rotation. I can see this little gun being my EDC in extremely hot weather and my BUG in cold weather carried in an outer jacket pocket.

tcecil88~

Congrats. I would be damn proud to own a SOLO such as yours. Great acquisition!

WOW, she's gorgeous! :shock:

Kimber certainly knows how to finish a firearm don't they?! Congrats brother...

Thanks, fellas.
I'll tell ya though, Brothers, that is one expensive little pistol. If I had not been able to trade for it, it would still be there.
But, on the other hand, the Sig P290 MSRP's at $570 w/o the laser and it is a poly gun. The Sig P938 is at $823, and the Kahr K9 is $855. All in all, I guess, for the class and quality the weapon, $770 not too far out of line.
It is, without a doubt, the nicest of the DAO micro 9's I have handled. The trigger is amazing! I have the night sights and holster coming from Optics Planet, and I see some double diamond rosewood grip panels in my future too! :)
Size comparison is between my Sig P290 and my Ruger LCP.

I would like to get hold of a Sig P938 Extreme or Kimber Aegis II 9mm. :D

She's definitely the purdiest one in that line-up!

I definitely think the Kimber is worth the premium, especially when compared to the others you mentioned...

sweet pistol , the lines really remind me of the 2075 RAMI I have been wanting for a while now, definitely isn't a buyers market for a CZ fans right now

Back