• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Advice for mounting a light

I know there are accessory threads and light threads elsewhere, but my question seemed a bit too specific for those threads. However, if the mods think this should be merged into another thread, feel free.

I'm having a hard time deciding on how to mount a light on my 590. It's a 20-inch 9 shot, so the magazine tube is as long as the barrel and I bought a UTG light with a weaver ring and remote pressure switch. I'd like to mount it as far forward as possible so as not to cast a shadow. Ideally, a flashlight that would clip into the bayonet lug with a ring to go over the magazine cap would be perfect; the next most ideal would be a rail that mounted similarly. I know there are rails that mount on a bayonet lug, but they are designed for AR-15's and require something to screw into to keep them steady. Someone has hacked up a prototype bayonet rail over on We The Armed that is exactly what I had in mind, but it's just a prototype. Until that comes to fruition, I'm looking at a few different options:

• LaserLyte Tri-Rail: I've seen this recommended quite a few times on the forums and it looks solid, however since it looks like it's designed to go between the fore-end and the bayonet lug ring I'm not sure if it will work further forward than that (is it tight enough that it won't slip back and forth in front of the bayonet lug ring?). I like how low-profile it is and that I can mount the flashlight below the magazine tube.
  • UTG Universal Shotgun Single-rail Barrel Mount: Similar to the LaserLyte, but with a single rail. In my opinion, this is pretty ugly and I've read reviews that it has a tendency to turn and slip. Again, I like that I can mount the flashlight below the magazine tube.
  • Elzetta ZSM: A solid side-mount that I've seen recommended here on the forums as well. I've seen demos of this online and I know it won't slip. It doesn't mount under the magazine tube, but if I can get this as far forward as possible so it doesn't cast a side shadow, I'm OK with it mounting on the side.
  • CDM Gear MTC or MTR: Another solid side mount option that I've seen recommended here numerous times. As with the ZSM, if I can get this far enough forward and keep it from slipping, not being able to mount it under the magazine tube would be a non-issue.

One of the reasons I'm pushing to mount under the magazine tube is so the light won't interfere with a three-point sling (I'm leaning heavily towards the Specter Gear SOP sling which has a sling plate that goes behind the magazine cap). I may be mistaken, but since I'm a right-handed shooter I should mount my light on the left-hand side of the gun and a three-point sling would interfere with a side-mounted light. If I'm wrong about what side I should mount the light, then the need to mount it underneath the magazine tube would go away other than the fact that I think it would look really cool :) (and don't tell me you wouldn't want to buy a light that clipped into the bayonet lug).

I would highly recommend against 3 point slings. They are overly complicated and dated. To me, the only sling worth buying anymore is the Blue Force Gear VCAS
2012-08-14_09-45-31_997.jpg

2012-07-18_18-02-13_51.jpg

As far as lights, i chose the laserlyte setup with Insight M3X and malkoff LED head. Im very happy with the setup, though there is a shadow on the right side.

VTAC or VCAS for sling and I use the Elzetta shotgun Light mount. As you can see it can be mounted further forward.

004.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX

Back