• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: The usual problems...

I have been thinking about getting a stronger spring. When I was at the range I noticed that there was a little delay before the next round was loaded. I've read good things about the Wolfe springs.

For a round to fall from the bottom it sounds like the elevator is sticking in the upward position or there is lag in the release from the magazine tube causing the round to feed late after the elevator has moved upward

Have you observed the location when this has happened? Do you notice a lot ot side to side wobble in the trigger group. I recall reading at one time an issue where the trigger group had enough play to cause some issues but I thought that they had resolved that in later models

This is just speculation as I've not heard of this particular issue before

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

Loading Jams

I am at wits end! :evil: My new, unfired 930 SPX demonstrates a high degree of loading difficulties. Sometimes it's round number 1; others round(s) number 3, 4, 5 etc that refuse to completely enter the magazine, seemingly striking something in the tube. No amount of force will push the shell fully into the magazine. Using my fingernails I pull out the shell and try, try again, until as with magic, the shell slides right in. I have replaced the follower with one from GG&G, and another from a company I can no longer recall (large, red plastic). NO DIFFERENCE. I have throughly oiled the tube and follower(s); NO DIFFERENCE! You guys have any ideas? :?: (The shells are 2 3/4" Hornady)

Re: Loading Jams

In this instance oil is not necessarily a good thing. I have never oiled my magazine tube, spring or followers. Unless you are working in extremely wet conditions where rust is an issue, the oil can attract dust and grit that will end up working against you. That said, I doubt that that is your issue.

If you visually inspect the tube do you see any dents, protrusions, scratches etc. that could hinder the path of the follower?

Have you replaced the spring? Does the follower sit square on top of the spring? Does the spring have any ropugh edges that could be catching on the insdie of the tube.

This is usually a problem I hear of in trying to load the final few rounds into the tube or loading past the point of where the tube and extension come together.

930 SPX Shell lifter stuck

I apologize if this issue has been addressed before, if so kindly point me in the right direction.

This issue was addressed tangently in this thread, but w/o resolution, I have the same issue as SoCal Choppas. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3668

I have an almost brand new Mossberg 930 SPX

The gun has 30 rounds total on it (one session, last night, 25 rounds 2-3/4 #8 target loads, 5 rounds 2-3/4 buck shot)

At the end of the magazine (last shot out of the magazine tube and chamber empty) the bolt locks back (as is normal), but the shell lifter lifts beyond its normal upper position and gets stuck above the far end of the bolt release lever/spring (see pictures) This prevents the bolt/receiver from closing.

Mossberg930Shellliftertoohigh.jpg

Mossberg930Shelllifterstuck.jpg

This "jam" is very hard to simulate racking the gun by hand, but happens every time after the last shot.

The only way to solve it is to hold the bolt/charger handle and release tension a little and press the bolt release lever/spring back in its groove to allow the shell lifter to pass.

Obviously this would be devastating in a tactical or HD situation. This gun is specifically for HD purposes for me.

I spoke with Mossberg and sent them an email, awaiting a reply.

Anyone else have this happen before?

Easy fixes?

Ad,

Re: 930 SPX Shell lifter stuck

AVerk said:
I apologize if this issue has been addressed before, if so kindly point me in the right direction.

This issue was addressed tangently in this thread, but w/o resolution, I have the same issue as SoCal Choppas. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3668

I have an almost brand new Mossberg 930 SPX

The gun has 30 rounds total on it (one session, last night, 25 rounds 2-3/4 #8 target loads, 5 rounds 2-3/4 buck shot)

At the end of the magazine (last shot out of the magazine tube and chamber empty) the bolt locks back (as is normal), but the shell lifter lifts beyond its normal upper position and gets stuck above the far end of the bolt release lever/spring (see pictures) This prevents the bolt/receiver from closing.

Mossberg930Shellliftertoohigh.jpg

Mossberg930Shelllifterstuck.jpg

This "jam" is very hard to simulate racking the gun by hand, but happens every time after the last shot.

The only way to solve it is to hold the bolt/charger handle and release tension a little and press the bolt release lever/spring back in its groove to allow the shell lifter to pass.

Obviously this would be devastating in a tactical or HD situation. This gun is specifically for HD purposes for me.

I spoke with Mossberg and sent them an email, awaiting a reply.

Anyone else have this happen before?

Easy fixes?

Ad,

Ad;
its common ... you have to really press the bolt release firmly ... you can simulate by locking the bolt back and slapping the bolt release fast and the lifter will get stuck.

Happens to me ... to fix this problem is to make sure you press the bolt release firmly and it wont happen ...

When mine locks like that, I cannot push the bolt release firm enough. And I mean no matter how firm (short of a hammer) it remains stuck

Send it home to OFM. Obviously that is not the way the gun was designed and indicates a more serious problem with the trigger group that allows the lifter to do that. I know it sucks. But like you said, it's meant for HD. If you can't rely on it then get rid of it. In this case I don't recommend getting rid of it. Just making Mossberg fix the problem. Good luck.

Paul

AVerk said:
When mine locks like that, I cannot push the bolt release firm enough. And I mean no matter how firm (short of a hammer) it remains stuck
To get it unstuck you have to hold the bolt back to the lock position and then pressing the bolt release while jiggling the lifter

RippSpeed said:
AVerk said:
To get it unstuck you have to hold the bolt back to the lock position and then pressing the bolt release while jiggling the lifter

There is a faster easier way, that is to hold the bolt back, and simply reach in the breech and push the lever back inside its recess.

Sucky situation for HD though. It is going back to Mossberg.

Ad,

First time at range shooting slugs - hits all over the place

Just took my new 930 to the range with a target set up at only 25 yards. The 10 slugs I had with me wound up being all over the target stand but only on on the 8" paper plate...? Strangest thing ever. Sure that small white bead is really no good, but at that distance most hits should have hit the paper plate. And yes, I have shot slugs before with my 500 and they are all pretty much on the paper plate. Any ideas? Just mount a good red dot?

On a side note, I was already dreading the recoil shooting slugs as I remembered my shoulder getting bashed by my 500 w/slugs. Really pleasant surprise, recoil with the 930 is totally OK.

Re: First time at range shooting slugs - hits all over the p

Welcome to Mossbergowners from PA!!

Well, my first thing I would look at is the choke. What sort of restriction are you shooting them through?

Also, I would look at Brand of slugs you are shooting. Maybe try another brand before sinking money into a "Good Red Dot".
I am sure you have heard before that different guns shoot different ammo better and/or worse.

Federals get great reviews around here pretty often! Especially the Federal Low Recoil with Flitecontrol Wad. It has been the center of conversation lately and seems to get great results through many users shotguns of different models. Personally, I prefer Brenneke's but no one in my immediate area sells them, so Federals are my next go to.

Other than those 2 things, uhh, were you shooting off hand or bench/sand bag/etc..? I know off hand I shoot pretty rough sometimes :p

Hope I help out somewhere :D

Well, the 930 is the tactical version so there is no choke of any kind. Was shooting from a bench so pretty stable platform there. Might have something to do with slugs that are rifled vs non rifled? The brand I used was something called LAW ENFORCEMENT STRIKE SLUG... Made in Italy hahaa. Maybe thats the problem right there....?!

Cannot say I have ever heard of those slugs haha. If it is a security barrel, most likely you have a fixed (non removable) Improved Cylinder Choke. Which is what I have on my mossberg.

All things being equal, I'd say try a different slug!

Shooting rifled foster-type slugs through a smoothe bore is fine. You just want to stay away from sabot slugs. The Nobel Sport brand you were using are similar to the Centurion slugs I used to use all the time. In fact I think they're actually the same company now. Never had any issues with them. I seem to get the best results on target out of my 930 Tactical using the Federal LE Tactical Hydra-Shok slugs. Even with the bead sight only, I can put them all in a 10" ring at 50 yds. I'd try a few different brands and see if it makes a difference...

Oops, sorry I overlooked that little but about "rifled" vs Sabot slugs! :/ As for the centurion slugs, I cannot speak for any personal experience. Never Shot them! But I'd trust LES' word!

UPDATE: Went to the range today with some Remington Slugger rifled slugs and those weird Stike Force rounds. Low and behold, the Remington all went where they were supposed to, within an inch or so at 20 yards while the Strike Force continued to print willy nilly all over the target... Go figure :shock:

Very nice!

Ammo selection can make all the difference. Thanks for the update...

Back