• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st post, my shortened 500 in progress

Anopsis

.22LR
Hello all,

Just stumbled across this site a few days ago. Thought I'd say hi and show what I just did in the shop this afternoon. Took a 28" VR barrel from a Maverick 88 and cut it to 18.5", removed the VR, drilled/tapped for a bead and re-blued. It's nowhere near perfect but it's my bedroom 500 so it's "close enough" for me. :D

Milling off the VR posts.
577035_451599824881279_1337267217_n.jpg

Sanding and polishing the barrel after the millwork is done.
306668_451599818214613_1615524203_n.jpg

Locating and drill/tap for front bead sight. Remember the original bead was on the vent rib, and several inches further out that is now, um, missing. For anyone who uses the same locator/drilling jig, I was too distracted by taking pics and didn't even realize I had the bushings in upside-down. :roll: Realized it as soon as I went to tap the threads.
73925_451885181519410_973808136_n.jpg

Barrel has been re-blued and installed. Front sight also. The blued barrel doesn't match the black receiver and tube, but it will mostly be hidden by the head shield that just isn't installed yet.
67181_451885188186076_1302354385_n.jpg

Cheers!

Chad

Howdy Anopsis and welcome to the club.

Great looking job you did there.

Not many folks remove the entire vent rib. They usually just cut it back about a half inch from the end of the muzzle back to the nearest riser (from lack of better term).

Welcome from MI!!!

Anopsis said:
The blued barrel doesn't match the black receiver and tube, but it will mostly be hidden by the head shield that just isn't installed yet.

Anyone at the receiving end will be too distracted to notice. :D

Very nice work

Thanks for the warm welcome. I haven't messed with shotguns since I was into three gun many years ago, and some recent upgrades I did to someone's 500 has rekindled my interest.

I have a 9200 that I used in 3 gun right when I quit; I'd like to find a 18.5" barrel for it so I don't have to cut it down.

Thanks again guys.

Chad

Guys, I've found that the best tool to cut down a barrel is a basic pipe cutter found at Lowes or Home Depot. It makes a much cleaner, even cut than a hacksaw, requiring much less filing after the cut.

Guys, I've found that the best tool to cut down a barrel is a basic pipe cutter found at Lowes or Home Depot. It makes a much cleaner, even cut than a hacksaw, requiring much less filing after the cut.
This is true. I just did the same thing on mine. But the OP had a vent rib barrel and can't use the pipe cutter for that.

What method are you using to cut it? Get a chance post some pics.

Truth is, I picked up a vent rib 500A that has some challenges to the finish. I have a plastic stock and fore end coming. When they get here, I plan to cut the barrel with my Redneck Milling Machine (you may call it a hacksaw) and do some painting. I haven't decided on patterns or colors yet. I plan to take some photos of before, during, and after the modifications. I plan to use the gun for home defense, blasting some targets, a truck gun, and the slaying of the occasional zombie.
I have cut some barrels off before by using a tubing cutter but the vent rib on this one calls for another plan. I've even toyed with the idea of getting out the DeWalt and porting the barrel while I'm at it. I'm going to have a little fun with it and I'll share it with everyone when the time is right.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Chad !!

Nice modification...

Back