• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Side Saddles/Shell Holders

Re: Mesa Tactical Shell Holder

I saw some youtube reviews of ppl saying it effects the autoloading of the 930 due to the screws pulling ever so slightly on the receiver.

Mudinyeri said:
Sixty bucks!? Doesn't Tac-Star make one that lists for around $27.00?

Yea, but that model is all aluminum with some sort of rubber insert to hold the shells.

Yeah, no offense to tacstar, but when I saw one in person, I didn't like the quality/plastic look for my gun.

Not saying the Mesa isn't overpriced, but it looks like it's very good quality and worth the money overall if you need a side saddle

C8V6C said:
Yeah, no offense to tacstar, but when I saw one in person, I didn't like the quality/plastic look for my gun.

Not saying the Mesa isn't overpriced, but it looks like it's very good quality and worth the money overall if you need a side saddle

I just bought a TacStar for my 930 SPX for a little over $20. I'm not much into looks when it comes to defensive weapons so, for me, the price and the product were right! We'll see how it holds up.

Re: 3 Gun Gear sidesaddles

I am thinking of ordering one of these; did you get a 7 or 8 round side saddle?

I'd go for a 6 round side saddle. The website hasn't been updated from what I can tell. Looks like they would do a custom order for it, but don't have prices listed.

Ares Gear & Raven Concealment have the hottest shotgun accessory that has recently been released.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/quick-ship-products/modu-loader-system/ares-elastic-shell-panel

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/quick-ship-products/modu-loader-system/shotshell-carriers

shotshell20panel1-500x500.jpg

ares20shell20panel-500x500.jpg

I have been looking at the 3GG saddle for my Stevens 350 as you cannot find a saddle for it or the Ithaca 37. I called them and the man who answered was extremely heplful and told me to make a rubbing of the receiver and he would custom make one for me at no extra charge. That was a sale to me right there. When I get home from Saudi next month I plan to hit him up! I might get one for both sides of the receiver!

How does the velcro hold up? How does the adhesive on the first one hold up? I really like the idea of no modifications to the shotgun.

I hate to say this, buy two ESSTAC shot shell cards and a roll of heavy duty Velcro and for around $40 bucks you'll have two. The ESSTAC cards hold 7 rounds and fits the receiver perfect. The only tool you'll need is scissors.

2011-11-21_16-39-43_366.jpg

The adhesive must be industrial strength, after installing I literally could not pull it off unless I started with and edge and purposely pried it off. I stuck it back on and it's sticking power is just as if I never had removed it to begin with. The shotgun shell strip is holding fast and didn't budge through 60 rounds of 00 buck today. So far so good. The transition from belt to gun was so nice I couldn't help but smile.

Kodiak said:
I hate to say this, buy two ESSTAC shot shell cards and a roll of heavy duty Velcro and for around $40 bucks you'll have two. The ESSTAC cards hold 7 rounds and fits the receiver perfect. The only tool you'll need is scissors.

2011-11-21_16-39-43_366.jpg

You miss the point, this is also a belt holder for the shells, you transition from belt to gun or vice-verse. You aren't simply buying a one use shell holder, you are buying (to use their words) a modular system.

Combatvet said:
You miss the point, this is also a belt holder for the shells, you transition from belt to gun or vice-verse. You aren't simply buying a one use shell holder, you are buying (to use their words) a modular system.
I understand what your saying and nothing against that rig, it's just, it's just I'M A CHEAP SKATE! If I find something that works, I reverse engineer it and make it for much cheaper. Same with your "modular system". Buy a cheap web duty belt ($10-$25), have Velcro ($8) added ($10-$15) and use the ESSTAC 7 rd shot shell cards ($15 ea) and done.

I liked the OSOE pull out pouch so much I copied it. Is is as good as theirs? Probably not, but it worked perfectly in my last match and I didn't pay even near the $55 that OSOE wants for it. I'm not a pro competitive shooter, combat warrior or LEO. Being just an average Joe I find what I want and make my version of it. I now have more money for ammo and range fee's!

OSOE

pullout122.jpg

DIY

2011-11-25_17-12-28_401.jpg

Here's my thoughts if you are on the fence whether to get the Mesa or the Tac Star.

1)The Mesa is much cleaner looking, which also means that there are no corners jutting above the reciever.

2)Not sure I would trust the plastic TS to stand up to rough abuse.

3)I saw two TS's fall apart during a 125 round course I took. One on a 930, one on an M4.

4)The TS is half the price.

+1 on the ESSTAC cards.

They're more versatile than you'd think...

That Ares belt set-up looks like a good option as well...

Re: Shotshell carrier options (Mesa, tacstar, etc)

cadjak said:
There are a number of negative reviews of the Tacstar on the Brownells site, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...ddle/Product/SIDE_SADDLE_SHELL_HOLDER#skugrid Most the problems were with screws pulling out. Has anyone here had a similar problem?
Yep. My TacStar lost screws in a uspsa match last weekend. It mounted great and has been on the gun for months. I hit the 2 replacement screws with Loctite where they attached to the aluminum backing plate. The prublem was with the 6 screws that hold the poly shell holder to the backing plate. They are short and had no adhesive on them at all. I should have checked the work but - hey, it's brand name factory right!? Early in a 36 target stage enough screws bailed out that the poly shell holder swung down (with ammo) to interfere with my loading. Short story - it rventually fell off and I almost finished the stage but timed out. I'll keep it but I bought 6 new screws and hit them with Loctite AND epoxied the poly to the aluminum backing plate.

Lesson: do your work well AND check the other guy's as well.

Added and modified a shell holder to the stock

Had a knoxx power pack I wasn't using.So did some grinding and added some screws and this is what I ended up with

slotcar224.jpg

slotcar223.jpg

Back