• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What kind of sling?

Gunner

.270 WIN
Lets say (hypothetically) you just bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout and didn't want to use a ching sling on it, what sling would you opt for?
Thnx
Gunner

I use single point slings on my long guns. One sling that can quickly be taken off any gun and switched to another in no time. My gun safe is clutter free because each gun doesn't have a 2 or 3 point sling attached. If I had to do precision shooting I might select a different sling but my shotguns and AK's are just fine with the simple single point.

I haven't decided on a sling, I'm just throwing it out there, looking to get some feedback on what slings other folks use and why...

Yes I do have the rifle. I got it a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I got the chance to go to the range. I grabbed a bag of .308 that was loaded up for the M1A and headed out. I was getting inch groups with it at a hundred yards in no time at all. As far as the rifle goes, I can see why they are popular...

I want to explore the topic of slings, see what others are using and why.

rj,
I'm not sure what a ching sling is either...lol...Yet it is usually what I hear being recommended for the scout rifle...

The single point sling system sounds interesting...

It's a nice rifle and I want a good sling for it...if you had a scout and wanted to put a sling on it what sling would you choose?

on that fine rifle I would go 1907 leather. It is extremely versatile for many things. The only thing I don’t like about them is that some of them can be real slick…..a suede patch or something would be cool just for short distance shoulder carry when you need both hands temporarily.

Howdy,
I guess a lot would have to do with how you intend to use that scout rifle. If it is light to moderate use, then a traditional sling or even a Ching Sling would be fine. Or if you wanted to keep a tradtitional look. Getting it up to today's military standards for hard use and extreme versatility you could check out a Viking VTAC. Yes, it would require a mod to your front attachment point but that being done along with using their buttstock adapter would give you a max tactical set up.
Check out their instructional video on the link below.

http://vikingtactics.com/slings.html

Scouts Out! (former Army recon scout NCO here)

Cheers ...

A 1907?

Hummm, I have one of those on another rifle. Possible, it's a good sling to put on an M1A and a definitely a contender...

I've figured out what a ching sling is...and I'm not quite ready to add a third sling stud in front of the magazine well. Not just yet anyway. And if I did it would have to be a flush mount...

I'm closing in on, or at least narrowing it down to a sling that has more features than a traditional sling and yet isn't a full blow tactical sling. Kinda looking for that happy medium.

I too like the M1907!

And I like the Ruger Scout rifle... I should get one of those someday.

When I got my 500 a few weeks ago i wanted something fairly simple in a sling. After a short search I settled on http://www.butler-creek.com/products/quick_carry_slings.html. It comes with the swivels, settles comfortably on the shoulder, and really CAN be adjusted with one hand, while it's on your shoulder. Here's a pic of it on the weapon
mossberg.jpg

Oh wow, thats nice! I especially like bein able to adjust with one hand!

I run a BFG vickers padded on all my rifles and shotguns I am a right handed shooter the rear of the sling is mounted on the right hand side at the rear of the stock front is on the left hand side infront of my support hand is possible

Back