• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Failure to fire

andrew678122

.270 WIN
I'm still new to most of this so bear with me.

I was at the range earlier this week and I have one round that refused to fire, even after repeated attemps. To my way of thinking it seems like the round is dangerous since the primer has been indented by the firing pin, it seems like just a little shock could set it off. Is that true? I could imagine putting it in one of those inertial bullet pullers, hammering it and having it blow up. What is the best way to dispose of a failure to fire?

Andrew

You'll be fine. If it didn't fire within a second or two after the firing pin strike, it's not going to happen. It could still fire if it's chambered in another rifle with a firing pin that protrudes further. You won't detonate it with a bullet puller.

257 Shooter said:
You'll be fine. If it didn't fire within a second or two after the firing pin strike, it's not going to happen. It could still fire if it's chambered in another rifle with a firing pin that protrudes further. You won't detonate it with a bullet puller.

I would tend to agree with this. I've never heard of one of these shells going off after the fact.

Back