• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

sighting in .338 mag

steelerjt

Copper BB
I just spent the day trying to sight in my new 338 and I could not get any consistant grouping. 6in groups at 100yards???? Using Win rounds 200gr. I hope I'm not the only one that has had this proublem. Don't know what to do?

Did you make sure all the screw, etc are tight?

Is this a new gun? Did you clean it good before you started?

Did you try different ammo as a comparison?

Did you have someone else shoot it to see if it does the same thing?

Some more info might be helpful. What firearm are you shooting? What type of rest are you shooting from?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions but you didn't give us much to go on. Fill in some of the blanks and we will be in a better position to help you dial it in.

There is definitely a lot we need to know to help you out. I'm assuming you have a 4x4. I've also got one in .338 win mag, there is a link in my signature. I've tried various things to try and achieve good accuracy. Right now I'm shooting hand reloads and I think I'm almost there. I have a load that put 3/5 touching and the other two were quite close. I think I might have jerked. At any rate there's a lot to try and a lot we need to know to get you pointed in the right direction.

There have also been reports of chamber seating issues and poorly secured stocks from the factory. You can take a look through the "Troubleshooting" thread in our 4x4 sub-forum for details...

Yes it's a new gun

No I didn't clean it before I shoot. Should have

I only had the one type of ammo. I picked up another type this afternoon and a different grain. 225

Yes I had others shoot it. Experts at that. Kin Pointer for one, Kin just got back from Friendship where he won a sharps 45/70 match. I had excellent help with high quality shooting benches and rest.

I am shooting a mossberg 4/4 338 mag

Unfortunitly I'm running out of time. Just got back from Afghanistan and I leave for a Co elk hunt Monday.

Thank you for your service! ( I assume that's why you were in Afghanistan.)

You've eliminated user error and I assume you checked the sights to make sure they were tight.

I would definitely clean it out, Mossberg is bad for leaving a lot of shipping grease in their guns. (At least the shotguns, I assume the rifles are the same.)

I would hope that you will see a change with different ammo. I know in my '06 heavier bullets seem to fly better. I've tried a few times to shoot 150gr out of it and I can never get them to group as good as 180's regardless of brand. At one time I had two of them, same caliber and model. The other one would shoot the 150's better than the 180's. Some guns seem to just be pickier than others.

Have you had a chance to shoot again and figure it out?

Agreed. Not enough information to render much assistance. 338s can be a challenge to shoot. It's a matter of finding a load the rifle likes.

From the info given, you may have munted your barrel. If it had grease in it you are lucky it didnt blow. The other thing I found with mine is the scope has to be a good one or it will change on you and never settle.
You need to get a good top of the line scope for calibers of that nature.

Back