• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dummy rounds

BowtieBill

.270 WIN
Hey gang,
Are there "Dummy Rounds" to purchase to practice with? After going through some drills with my instructor, it seems to me that if there were some dummy rounds available, I could go through senerios at home with out the worry of using live rounds.
Just for practicing fast reloading senerios.
Thanks,
Bill

Excellent idea and yes there are.

You should be able to find dummy/training rounds from 22lr to 12 gauge and everything in between. Several companies offer them including A-Zoom, ST Action Pro, SAF-T, Pachmayr, and Magpul...

Lots to choose from. Get the ones that weigh the same as real ammunition, not the lightweight plastic cheapos if you are doing shotgun drills. A reloader can actually make dummys without powder and primer and they are, to me, the best "feel" but the danger is that they mimic real ammo so closely that they must be color coded to eliminate the chance that real rounds have sneaked in with the dummys.

The injection molded plastic pistol bullets that are bright orange are good for randomly stuffing in a magazine and then you can practice the TAP-RACK-BANG drill of having a misfire.

But those lightweight rounds for shotgun training simply suck. What dummy rounds are you wanting to acquire?

I have dummy/inert ammo I use for function checkin after cleanin and reassembly and to practice reloads from the side saddle on my A1, directly to the chamber as you described in another post. The ones I have are "high brass" with a clear hull and what seems to be 00 buck. They look and feel like a regular load and are not at all like the light weight snap caps.

Ill have to do some diggin to see where they came from!

I use the ST Action Pro dummy rounds. I emptied some of my bird shot shells and filled the dummys with it. I then topped it with epoxy. They now weigh the same as my 00 buck rounds.

Sent from my DROIDX

I got a box of Remington Dummy rounds from Brownells ($7.99 for 5 Rounds, or $25.01 for 25 Rounds).

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 31872.aspx

The primer is already spent, no powder, and filled with Buck Shot. I have cycled them through the Mossy several times, and they seem to hold up. I use them for practcing drills, and training family and friends on shotgun opperation. They think it is so cool when they cycle the gun and a shell goes flying out. Great way to safely Educate people.

The only con I have with these rounds is at a glance they look like the real thing. I have some clear shell Live 00 Buck rounds that look similar. Really have to make sure they say "Dummy" on them. I think an off the wall color would have been better. I do keep live rounds seperate from them, just have to make extra sure before I bring them out. Dont want an accident to happen.

Now if someone could make a high color, buck filled, snap cap type practice round (so you can safely pull the trigger and not have a potential for damage)....

Frank

I filled a few spent shells with pennies and glued them in. I just trimmed up the top with a knife to make them the right length.
I wanted to practice in the house as well one night and didn't want to wait. You can add pennies to get close to live round weights.

^ ...and they only cost a few pennies to make! :lol:

Great idea Sir! I love to see home made solutions like this...

Gear Dog said:
I filled a few spent shells with pennies and glued them in. I just trimmed up the top with a knife to make them the right length.
I wanted to practice in the house as well one night and didn't want to wait. You can add pennies to get close to live round weights.

great idea.TY

Gear Dog said:

got any pics of it, id like to see the outcome of your work.... :mrgreen:

Here is a quick pic of how I made them. I stuffed a wad of tissues in first this keeps the weight towards the top like a live round. I used about 10-15 pennies to get close to the weight then pushed down about 1/4 inch. Then I poured the glue in to seal it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357267837.868059.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357267837.868059.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 405
Gear Dog said:
Here is a quick pic of how I made them. I stuffed a wad of tissues in first this keeps the weight towards the top like a live round. I used about 10-15 pennies to get close to the weight then pushed down about 1/4 inch. Then I poured the glue in to seal it.

Pretty cool. Like the creativity on the dummy rounds.
Are They holdn' up pretty good?

Was thinking about dummy rounds myself but I only dry fire once or twice after I empty the chamber and after reassembly and cleaning. Is dry firing a weapon a bad thing?

So I took gear dogs idea and made a few dummy rounds of my own this past weekend.
And for never doing this b4 it seemed pretty easy and look pretty good.
Will take pics of my creation and post later.....

Back