• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Re: Questions about 5-shot combo model

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Re: Questions about 5-shot combo model

I have the 5-shot combo, and I really like it. They were calling the field/security combo when I bought mine earlier this year. It's been great so far. I have around 250 rounds through it. Mostly Estate birdshot, but also various buckshot and slugs.

Re: RE: Questions about 5-shot combo model

Well, no one has a combo in stock, but the local gun shop has a deal on a 10-shot JM Pro. Does the JM Pro take a standard 930 barrel? Can I snap a field length barrel on the gun?

Re: RE: Questions about 5-shot combo model

Well, I went back on my plan to get a 5-shot combo. The LGS had a JM Pro 24" and I pounced on it. My question above still stands though: will a longer field barrel fit? I'm guessing it will, but I think I'll call Mossberg to find out.

Re: MOSSBERG 930spx SIGNATURE SERIES information needed?

Do you still have those pictures? I'd like to see what they are talking about.

Bird shot

I searched but I did not find anything that sounded the same. This is mostly directed at 930 shooters. Has anybody had issues with failure to extract shooting Federal 7 1/2. The extractor just tears the rim off the edge of the casing every other shot. Only seems to be with that particular ammo. Kind of frustrating since that's what I've used for years for skeet and dove. I have a couple cases of it. Maybe I shouldn't have given my brother my 500.

Re: Bird shot

I would carefully measure the diameter and circumference of the shell rims in question and compare that against some other brand or even other Federal bearing a different Production Lot #. It sounds like it may be undersized for your extractor and the extractor doesn't sufficiently grab the rim.

Or, just as likely (or even moreso) is that the extractor hook is undersized and not fully engaging the entire thickness of the rim. Lastly, the extractor hook may have been finished imcorrectly and it has a too-little (or too pronounced) angle on the end causing tearing instead of grabbing.

Since the ammo has worked in another gun I would suspect the extractor hook's length or angle.

First, trying a different brand of ammo might be worth doing if you have some that is the same diameter/circumference as the Federal ammo of which you have so much. If the second brand tears and FTEs then you almost certainly have a faulty extractor.

Pay close attention to whether all the ammo you eventually compare has an all-brass case head, or is just brass-plated steel, or is silver-colored steel. You need to check apples to apples, of which I am sure you are already knowledgeable on ammo.

I actually hope it's an extractor hook issue cuz you can fix that easily enough and still enjoy shooting all your existing and expensive ammo.

Oh, one other possibility is that there is a machining burr or crud in the extractor spring recess preventing the spring from exerting full sideways force on your case rims.

Re: Bird shot

Well it seems the issue is just with steel casings. I think I'm going to cycle through a couple hundred more shells to break it in a bit more than see how it does.

Thanks for the insight I will keep that in mind.

Range report after Mossberg fixed my 930 SPX

I made a post on 10-25-2012 about problems I was having with my SPX and described changes Mossberg made to the gun.

I finally had a chance to shoot last weekend. I shot about 600 birdshot, 50 slugs and about 30 OO buckshot over two days. I had two FTE. I had one spectacular type-three malfunction, where an empty shell was in the chamber, another round was behind it, and the brass part of a third round was poking into the receiver. I scratched my head about that one – it was a new one on me. One of the guys who has an AR told me that one time he had three and later four rounds jammed into the receiver at the same time – the type-three malfunction from hell. He said he had to dig them out with his knife. All in all, I didn't have more problems than the guys I was shooting with, who were running pump guns. Guns are mechanical devices and they will never be failproof.

I cleaned the gun between days. I discovered a couple of things. First off, the new magazine spring Mossberg installed is only 22 & 3/8th inches long. I never measured the original spring, but it was way longer. Also, it is tapered on one end; the original spring was symmetrical. Secondly, Mossberg oiled the gun much more than I had been doing. My method was to oil it and then wipe most of the oil off. Mossberg left everything wet. Really wet.

So, kudos to Mossberg for making it right. I do wish they would put more effort into making sure the guns leave the factory in good working order so there would not be so many problems with some new guns.

Re: Range report after Mossberg fixed my 930 SPX

Thanks for reporting back!

I'm with you on Mossberg's lack of QC. They could knock out a great majority of these issues if they were more diligent on quality control before their firearms leave the factory. I'm glad to see she's running better for you...

Re: Range report after Mossberg fixed my 930 SPX

Thanks for the update and I am glad things are finally working the way they should be.

Just back from the range with the 930

I was at the range today and before I left I ran about 40 rounds through the 930 without any issues. I shot 00 buck and a few 8 shot bird rounds all 2 3/4. The recoil was manageable as expected and the rounds cycled through without hesitation. All and all a very nice weapon to fire, accurate and well balanced.

I plan to put a magazine extention on it in the soon along with a Streamlight TLR-1 at the end of the barrel with a remote switch to the forearm. Also I just ordered a GG&G rear sling attachment that mounts between the frame and the stock. I may consider a red dot sight in the future, nothing fancy maybe a Burris or something reasonably priced, it's not really necessary but nice to have. Very happy with my purchase, picked this 930 up at the local Walmart for $490.00.

Can't wait to really put it through its paces. :D

Re: Just back from the range with the 930

Outstanding!

Congrats on the successful range trip. Glad to see she's treat'n you well. Keep us posted as you add and modify along the way...

I've read a bunch of threads with this info involved that I am about to ask about. Nothing is black and white though.. What is the difference in this 930 vs. the spx.

If I bought the stand 930 and wanted to make an spx, what would it require? Their is about a $200 price difference from the guns I can find. Its hard to find a 930spx and when you do, it's $700. Not trying to thread jack but im just building off of your walmart plug.

The SPX models come in 8-shot configurations with rail mounted rear hooded ghost ring sights and an elevated "m16-style" (according to Mossberg) front sight base.

There is no difference in the action or mechanism itself. To convert a standard 930 to an SPX, one would need to replace the barrel with the SPX version or have a front sight base soldered on. Then replace the mag tube if yours is a 5-shot, and add a receiver rail with the rear GRS. That's about it...

You're welcome and Merry Christmas to you as well Sir...

Re: mossberg 930 questions

just an update:

i went with aimpro forearm and plan on buying thost sights from mossberg ( the spx ones ) i also have a choate extension which after some looking i found out was bent or not installed in the nut properly so thats going back.

other then getting the sights and a straight extension i am pretty much done out side of custom work such as polishing all the contact areas on the bolt and hammer and maybe polishing my lifter on both sides so the shells are loaded easier with less chance of snags and to take the burrs off

Back