• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3 Dot Sights vs. Ghost Ring (NOW WITH PICS)

my 3 dot sight barrel finally came over the weekend.

i think these are way better than the ghost ring set-up. low profile, yet still good enough for slugs.

FYI...the rear sight is not dovetailed into the barrel. it sits on top of it and a screw holds it in place. the front sight mount is much lower than the one used for the ghost ring. the front sight blade is dovetailed and a screw also holds it in place. the sights look beefy and tough, but time will tell. if these things ever fail me i'll just switch to the classic bead sight and be done with sights on a shotgun.

however, the sights are ever so slightly leaning to the right. i think mossberg will never get this right, but at least both the front and rear are aligned perfectly. the cant is very slight, but noticeable...annoying.

Re: 3 Dot Sights or Ghost Ring?

I'm not a big fan of GRS's but that is just a personal thing.

I don't have a barrel with rifle sights but I've not heard of any complaints about accuracy. I believe there is some adjustment in the rear sight.

I have a 500 with a VR turkey barrel. I added some Williams Fire Sights to the vent rib and it has been verry accurate. I also have them on an 870 I use for HD (same setup with turkey barrel)

these GR's are a bit annoying. i think they hinder "pointability" a little, but the price for the gun was too good to pass on. but i chose to buy the 3 dot barrel over the bead because they look low profile enough to where i can ignore them, but still have some type of sights for slugs, which i enjoy shooting.

i don't ever plan to purchase a rifle as long as i'm living in calif., so having sights for slugs is a substitute for a real rifle. plus, i will be able to barrel swap a lot easier when i buy an 835 barrel.

hopefully the 3 dot sight will be aligned properly. these GR's are perfectly aligned, but on my old 590 that i sold, i remember the bead was slightly canted. i think there was a time when mossberg had some QC issues. i hope things are better now in that dept.

Soliciting advice from the group.

I'm looking to upgrade from my existing 590 (regular, not A1) bead to a 3-dot system. Difficulty: I'd like one that can fit on a picatinny rail since I'm planning on getting the Mesa Tactical sidesaddle/rail combination.

Thanks,
Mad

hey mad,

i bought a 3 dot sight barrel a couple of weeks ago direct from mossberg (still hasn't arrived). you'll have to call them to order one...$125 plus shipping.

but if you're going with a rail then you probably shouldn't buy the 3 dot barrel. you won't be able to see the sights. if the rail is for a red dot or something like that, then keep the barrel you already have. nothing wrong with it.

I want my sights to keep eye travel/focus at the end of the barrel, and why I am not so fond of 3 dots when the rear tends over power the front sight for me. I am very fond of Trijicon HD's yellow front sight. I have them on my M&P Shield 9. Also, I am having issues with my eyes focusing at arm's length .. blurred vision (yes .. I will be getting my eyes ck'ed soon and appropriate shooting script glasses too) The Ghost rings are helpful for me.

Nothing wrong with your pictures. It looks like the amount its off can be adjusted for and I agree that Mossberg will probably not fix this...at least while sales are through the roof.

Please post some range results when you try the new barrel out. I'd be interested to hear how you like it.

Oh yeah, I love the Al Bundy avatar...long live No Maam!

Back