• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Big Time Barrel Issue!

Hey guys,

Just bought my first 590A1 and couldn't wait to get it to the range! After firing 75-90 (extremely enjoyable) standard Winchester Universal 2 3/4" shells through her, I noticed a very concerning problem.

Inside the barrel I noticed what could only be described as "flaking." Large flakes of what appeared to be a coating from the inside of the barrel were coming off with easy revealing the silver steel underneath.

So I suppose I suppose my question is, is the inside of a 590A1 barrel parkerized? Or just the outside? It's clearly not parkerized at the bore end of the barrel but it is hard to tell at the fore end, as the "flaking" only starts about half way down the barrel and there is just as much silver steel showing as there is of the flakey black coating...

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Rad !!

Not sure about the parkerization being half way down the barrel sounding correct...but this will bump your problem to the top for others to weigh in...

Good luck...

The inside should def not be park'd.

So if it isn't parkerized, the next question would be what the heck is it and I have zero clue.

Any pictures?

Is is plastic wad residue?I've seen a barrel or two that had chatter marks in the bore from the machining process and that would strip wad material off which could later build to the point of flaking loose.

The bore most certainly isn't park'd or plated, so I am ruling that out. My bet is on lead or firing residue.

nitesite said:
My bet is on lead or firing residue.

My money is on this one. Pics might be helpfull.

Every picture I try comes out blurry but I'll work on a better one. Plastic residue is a possibility (in my ten years and my local gunship owners 30 he's never seen lead or copper res like this), it definitely feels plasticky... Have these barrels you've seen with chatter marks continue this build up as they break in or is there a solution? If it is indeed residue there's a serious amount for only 75 shells... haha.

On a sise note Thanks for the responses guys, you've already helped boatloads

Can't seem to get a good picture of the barrel and the "flakes" (don't own a high quality camera) but after talking to Mossberg's customer service reps and the retailer I bought the gun from I've decided to just send it back for a replacement barrel.

Has anyone dealt with returns/replacement through Mossberg? If so how long were you left waiting?

Gettin another barrel should solve the problem!

How long should it take? That's gonna vary wildly. Sometimes they have stuff shipped back to you so quickly you harldy notice anything was ever missin. Other times you have to call and call call only to hear its still on someones desk.

So call, make sure you get a name and date by which you should have a shipping label and establish a time frame on the return part. Send it with delivery conformation so you know when they have it.

Give them time to make good on what they say they will do and if that doesn't happen then get on em and stay on em.

Good luck bro.

it is the plastic wad material, scrub it out and put 75 Remington gun club's or some Fed top gun through it and report back here....dont want to deal with Mossberg if you dont have too

cool, I hope it a good one....worth a try anyway. I dont detect a safety hazard so you might as well

like most companies these days, once they got you on the hook....if you have trouble getting the bore clean stick your rod and brush into a drill and go to town on it with some solvent....

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update, sent her back to Mossberg about 3-4 weeks ago and they've already got her back to me with a brand new barrel and a complete cleaning of the internals after a thorough inspection. Haven't got her to the range yet but hopefully the barrel was the issue. Big ups to Mossberg!

Good to see they got it sorted out for you. Lookin forward to your update after you've had it out to the range...

Ha ha they probably just cleaned it and sent it back. Next time shoot some slugs, that will get rid of the plastification deposits. See it all the time.

I tried firing some slugs through her before I sent it in, didn't do much, but they definitely swapped out the barrel, they sent an invoice with it and it has a new serial #.

Took her out on the range and she fires great though! Problem solved.

Back