• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 gas piston

usmcphonger

Copper BB
I am looking at buying the 930 with a 28in. barrel. Some folks have said that an argument to have a pump over an auto feed is that if the auto lays around for long periods of time without working the action that it would fail often. This being caused by dried out piston rings. I have no experience with shotguns so i don't know if this is a real concern.
Thans to all and Semper Fi.

The only issue I could see with that would be because of poor maintenance and lack of planning. My 930 has been solid and is a great shooter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Remington 1100/11-87's used a rubber ring in the gas stystem that would dry/wear out over time and cause peoblems. THe 930 does not use these rubber seals in it's gas system.

Even on the Remingtons it was more of an annoyance than a real problem. You just had to make sure you had some on hand it was usually more of a gradual degradation in performance than a complete failure (per my experience)

Thanks MikeD this was the kind of info i was looking for. As it turns out it was a remmington guy that told me about piston troubles.

Glad I could help.

The 930 is a solid shooter, you will not have much go wrong unless you abuse it buy leaving it in the safe for too long. Ha ha but seriously a pump will never be beaten by an auto for reliable use, they just dont stop nomatter what ammo you put through it.

And a pump will never beat a semi auto in a course of fire given equal shooters. You want REALLY reliable go for a single shot break action. buy guns that fit your needs and maintain them according to their requirements. I don't know of any "safe queen" 930s in my shooting circle. So, you've never seen a 12G pump with a malfunction. Hmmmm - get out much?

Sure, I have blown up one, pushing it too hard with 2 oz slugs. I shoot every weekend and stick to what I said, pumps are more reliable than autos. Dont get me wrong I have 3 930 SPX shooters and think they rock man. Yeah sure a pump can malfunction....I was thinking more about the super light loads a pump can handle in a 3 gun competition. Sounds like you hold the shot gun dear to your heart, me too they are so versatile. Ha ha yes there are guys out there who can jam a pump.

Back