• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

12GA Steel Slugs penetrating engine blocks, 1-1/8oz. 2-3/4in

Re: 12GA Steel Slugs penetrating engine blocks, 1-1/8oz. 2-3

I'd like to see them test it on fairly new blocks. Not rusted out russian junk. I'm fairly certain Hornady SST would do the same on that block.

Ive been makin my own for 20 years. They can put a 20mm hole through 10mm plate steel. They fit inside a wad. If could figger out how to post a picture I could show you stuff you dont see in movies yet. Oh make sure you dont have a choke on your gun or you will blow the end off it. Also engine blocks are weak, they are alloy or cast iron, I can throw a steel ball at one and break it with my fast ball.

ripjack13 said:
I'd like to see them test it on fairly new blocks. Not rusted out russian junk. I'm fairly certain Hornady SST would do the same on that block.

Are Russian one really junk? The russians make great weapons?

No sir...just stating that the rusted engine was junk.

Old rusted engine blocks are stronger than new ones. Drag racers weather their blocks outside for no less than 6 months to aid intrinsic strength. True!

12G said:
...Oh make sure you don't have a choke on your gun or you will blow the end off it...

Not entirely true, Whilst I do make sure to have an open choke, usually modified or more, most slugs today could be shot through a FULL choke. I have actually shot a decent amount through my brothers Rossi Fixed choke .410 and my Grandfathers 12ga. No bulge, no missing fingers, not exactly a complete success on accuracy, but I'd say it is safe with a few of today's slugs.

I have shot Brennekes, Remington Sluggers and Winchester Super X. The "rifling" on the slugs is designed to crush down into the path ways when shot through a restrictive choke, just as well, most slugs are hollow when you look at the bottom of it, allowing it to crush down and deform.

AS ALWAYS: Read the manufacturers warnings on the box of Ammunition, Firearms, Etc... If they say DO NO SHOOT THIS AMMUNITION through, a certain firearm(s) or choke(s), etc, than DO NOT! I am simply sharing experience, knowledge and DO NOT claim any responsibility for your own doings ;)

Just some info, take it FWIW :)

Sorry man I was referring to solid steel slugs made from 4130 with hardend tip. They will not deform in the choke of your gun. You must have a cylinder barrel for these. They will go through 2 or 3 cars no problem.

Ohh! Ddupleks has a solid steel slug as well, but they are banded with a soft polymer/plastic ring that guides them through the barrel. But I think they claim that you should not shoot them through a choke.

Back