• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A day off, Autumn weather, Yuengling Black and Tans, and PbR

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Yes, the stars and planets aligned and I got to enjoy a day off minus my wonderful bride and kids, on a glorious fall afternoon of bluebird skies and 66-degree sunshine, with the dogs and lots of fresh air and Yuengling Black and Tans and PbR.

No I wasn't mixing cold beers.... :eek: (Although Pabst Blue Ribbon is a modestly nice crisp little Milwaukee that I enjoy on occasion ;) )

PbR is LEAD (Pb) that I Recycled from tire weights and some other scrap lead.

As I sat on my front porch casting bullets from two different moulds I could see my 2-year old chocolate lab wandering the hayfield jumping up bobwhite quail and the occasional mourning dove. Her older and fatter "brother" black lab was napping at my feet, and our little shih-tzu was soaking up the warm sunshine out in the front yard.

I began by casting 225-gr LRN #452374 boolets from my 4-cavity Lyman cast iron mould.

casting_0.jpg

A leisurely rate of two pours per minute yields me over 400 bullets an hour. And I was dropping really good bullets today with the Lee 4-20 casting furnace holding just the right temperature and the mould dropping them out cleanly without any sticking or wrinkles after the first dozen bullets fell.

casting_1.jpg

casting_5.jpg

casting_2.jpg

And the sprues were cutting off like magic with nice clean swipes and no tearing.

casting_3.jpg

The Lee 4-20 had a tiny bit of dripping from the pour spout resulting in those magical pieces of drip art which I enjoy!

casting_4.jpg

And as the molten lead level dropped and I had made several hundred .45-Auto cast bullets I brought out a Lee 140-gr LSWC mould that makes great bullets that I load in subsonic .357 Magnum rounds for my single shot Handi Rifle. I made about 50 of those in about ten minutes before turning the furnace off for the afternoon.

casting_6.jpg

I figure that 250 hard cast 230-gr forty-five bullets sell retail for around $30 and the fifty LSWCs were certainly going to cost me at least five or six bucks at a store so with the savings I went ahead and opened a few Black and Tans and declared the afternoon as mine... all mine. :cool:

Naturally, the dogs had a grand day as well..........

Re: A day off, Autumn weather, Yuengling Black and Tans, and

Sounds like a fantastic day! I need a day I can spend like that.

Awesome.

Nitesite, awesome pics and a great way to spend a fall day as you noted. I love outside activities in the fall. Can I ask where you got the furnace and what brand it is? It reminds me of casting sinkers with my grand father when I was a kid.

Kudos on the Yeungling Black and Tan too! If you ever get to Pottsville, PA the brewery is there along with a Cabelas not to far away in Hamberg. A good way to spend a winter afternoon.

carbinemike said:
Nitesite, awesome pics and a great way to spend a fall day as you noted. I love outside activities in the fall. Can I ask where you got the furnace and what brand it is? It reminds me of casting sinkers with my grand father when I was a kid.

Kudos on the Yeungling Black and Tan too! If you ever get to Pottsville, PA the brewery is there along with a Cabelas not to far away in Hamberg. A good way to spend a winter afternoon.

Thanks, but the pics are just taken with my iPhone. Just snapshots.

The furnace is a bottom pour Lee 4-20 pot which has a 20-lb capacity and is available from just about anywhere that sells reloading supplies.

I really like Yuengling since it not only tastes great but it's the oldest family-owned private brewery in America. I would really like to tour their facility some day. The Cabelas nearby would be a great added plus!

I love autumn days...I love Yuengling, yet seein as how I'm in New England, I cannot have any. I love Labs, and my Bride and our dog....no days off yet for me...but soon...

and I love the set up you have....I really need to look into that.

+1 for you....

You must spread your reputation point to other users before giving to the same user.

awe p00p...

It's the little things in life that make it worth livin'.... Thanks for sharing the moment with us nitesite !!

Hey nite,

Just wanted to let ya know that after read'n this I cracked open a cold one in your honor. Congrats on the productive afternoon Sir...

Sounds to me like you need a local Alabama brewery to sponsor your free days! I love the pics. Let me know if you have any free weekends coming up and we could get back together. I'll bring some goodies.

Hey, honkey~

Yeah, a meet at Swan Creek sounds very "do-able" here sometime soon. Are you a Mon-Fri day shift guy now or what?

Sadly, that old retired police range we went to has been turned over to the Dept of Revenue and they have enclosed the whole thing in high fence so we can't use it any longer.

Goodies sound pretty intriguing....... Possible trade opportunity????????????????

I am mostly a Mon-Fri guy now, but towards the end of the week it slows down a lot at the brewery. Typically, I can take Fridays off unless we are bottling beer in a hurry. I also teach trumpet lessons on Saturday mornings starting at 10:00 a.m and go until 2:00 p.m, but I am fine with before or after those times. Sundays are pretty much free days each week.

Back