• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Threading ~~ UPDATED PICS!!

Type of scope is purely personal preference

To me a shotgun is not a precision instrument. The primary pupose of the scope is to clarify the sight picture in lower light conditions

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Itsricmo said:
Thanks Again, Brad! :D

Hey, no problem man!

Anytime you need filler material to take up space with useless detail, sketchy information or questioable advice, I'm your guy! :lol:

On a serious note, I'm def interested in where your project is goin! ;)

Rossignol said:
Hey, no problem man!

Anytime you need filler material to take up space with useless detail, sketchy information or questioable advice, I'm your guy! :lol:

... and I'm in line right behind him if you need more... :D

I'm just a spooky cat with a keyboard. :mrgreen:

Haha I don't care how Spooky, or useless you consider yourselves!! It helps me out :) haha I guess my pick is going to be the: Bushnell 4x Fixed Power with a Hasting Rifled choke. Purchased in the respective order :)

The Female Companion of mine is going to get the scope for Christmas so it might be a little stretch of time.

The barrel work looks good. I've been contemplating getting work done to my 18.5" security barrel. I'm thinking threading, lengthen/polish the forcing cone, and maybe a little over boring.

One thing I don't get is the point of the straight rifling. Did they give any info or reasoning as to why the rifling is straight instead of having a twist like rifling normally would?

The idea behind straight rifling is to stop the shot wad from spinning which can help produce a tighter pattern. Unless you're shooting slugs exclusively, twisted rifling can be counter productive to performance. Traditional rifling is intended for a single projectile the same caliber as the bore. The twist produces a spin that stabilizes the bullet and prevents it from tumbling which improves potential for accuracy and distance. With shot shells containing multiple pellets, the twist in traditional rifling would cause the pellets to spiral outward and produce a wider ring pattern with the shot spread toward the outside of the ring rather than in the center. Rifled, or "spreader" chokes are intended to produce this effect which can be beneficial in certain applications but for the most part a tight, concentrated shot pattern is preferred...

I have been looking at scopes pretty hard core! Anyone know if Low Rings will be possible? Would keep me from having to get a cheek riser, BUT, I'd like to get an adjustable one like people have on their Rem700 builds for Long Range :D

Back