• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Re: Knoxx SpecOps Stock w/ Mossberg 500 is at a poor level

Underdog said:
If they made the compstock with a 13" LOP I would be all over it, but sadly they don't. I tried the specops stock but the line of sight was not good for me, even called blackhawk about it. They claim they never heard a complaint about it? So i'm back to a traditional wood stock with a 13" LOP and a limbsaver recoil pad. I wasted a lot of money only to find out that the factory stock setup works best.

I tried the specops stock but the line of sight was not good for me either. I guess folks buy the stock and never use it :lol:

The SpecOps works just fine for me.

I don't bust clays with it, but have sent plenty of rounds down range with no issues. That's the great thing about options. There are enough of them out there that each shooter can find what works best for them...

Would you maybe be interested in trading your SpecOps stock for a CompStock? I bought the CompStock for my wife's 20 gauge 500, but she still complained about recoil. An ATI pistol grip is on it now and she has no more complaints. I don't still have the original packaging, but I do have all the pieces. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom, can you measure the total length of the compstock? Or know what the LOP is when mounted to a 500? I currently use a 13" LOP and anything longer than that will not work for me. My SpecOps stock is a gen 1 and only has approx 50 rounds fired from it, it's like new.
Thank you, Craig

I just mocked up all the pieces. Fully assembled, my CompStock is 12" in length. Take care. Tom Worthington.

...and the BlackHawk website states:

Q: What is the length of pull?
A: Approximately 13 ½ inches. An extended butt pad (plus 1 inch) is available.

Take care. Tom Worthington.

I tried the spec-ops stock on a Winchester 1300 slug gun. The line of sight was not good for me either. I was looking over the sights.

I have a ATI 6 position stock on my 500. I used the angled insert that lowers the stock. Line of sight is good on the 500. I still have to shoot her. Hoping the smaller LOP and scorpion pad help with recoil. Will let ya know.

MossyMilDot said:
ripjack13 said:
Here's the page for Blackhawks compstock....
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/compst ... 55,165.htm

They have it for the 500....it's worth a look. $119 isn't bad either. If you don't sell your spec ops you can always put it on another gun, or if you don't have one....this gives you an excuse to get another!

This stocks looks like the ticket :mrgreen:

I'm still willing to try a trade. Your stock for one of these (the one I bought). Nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to try something different for only risking the cost of shipping. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
MossyMilDot said:
ripjack13 said:
Here's the page for Blackhawks compstock....
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/compst ... 55,165.htm

They have it for the 500....it's worth a look. $119 isn't bad either. If you don't sell your spec ops you can always put it on another gun, or if you don't have one....this gives you an excuse to get another!

This stocks looks like the ticket :mrgreen:

I'm still willing to try a trade. Your stock for one of these (the one I bought). Nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to try something different for only risking the cost of shipping. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I have a Knoxx SpecOps Stock w/ Mossberg 500 like new (less than 50rds). I might try the 1/2" spacer that Knoxx says is a fix for 28" barrel this stock.
http://www.amazon.com/ATI-MRW4500-Stock ... omb+spacer

Let me think? if not I might be up to a trade.

Thank you for your correspondence in regards to your Knoxx® SpecOps Stock for your Mossberg 500. The main reason for sight alignment issues is due to the stock having a adjustable length of pull (LOP); which changes the drop in comb (DIC). There are ways to adjust for this issue. You can add a cheek piece and use the attached document to set the cheek piece for maximum sight image effectiveness. You can also add a drop in comb (DIC) spacer (see below).

ATI Drop Comb Spacer will provide a 1/2" (DIC) from http://www.amazon.com. Please feel free to contact me; if you have any questions, and I will be happy to help.

My Best Regards,

John B. Brantley
Knoxx Technical Support / LE Customer Service Representative
ATK Accessories – BLACKHAWK!
ATK Security and Sporting
6160 Commander Parkway
Norfolk, VA 23502-2052 USA
Office: 800.694.5263 x3243
Fax: 888.830.2013
Email: john.brantley@atk.com

Anyone have any experience with either the MESA Tactical with Recoil Reduction stock in comparison to the FAB-Defense AGM500 FK SB M4 Butt Stock Shock Absorber? Both of them seem like really nice units, but sooo pricey! :evil:

The third option is to go with the Phoenix Technologies Kicklite 6 position tactical stock.. Anyone have experience with this? Able to maintain cheekweld during kickback? I've seen some of the recoil reduction stocks (like SpecOps Knoxx) displace all the recoil in to your face.

I tried the ATI drop spacer on my specops stock and it was better, but still not enough for me. I've gone back to a wood 13" LOP stock set with lead weight added inside the stock and a limbsaver recoil pad. It's pretty near perfect for me now and recoil is no longer an issue.

I can give a vote for the MESA, cant say anything about the Endine Receiver Extension, but MESA makes a GREAT product!!

I personally have never seen, nor heard of anyone.. ANYONE using a MAKO product other than on an AR platform. Even at that, it is a forearm or foregrip. Those Stocks look nice, but are overly pricey. I would vote a Blackhawk Knoxx over the MAKO just for Price and fact that MANY people use and like them!

Phoenix is in the same boat as MAKO... not too many if ANY at all stories, reviews, anything to base any trust off of.

Underdog said:
I tried the ATI drop spacer on my specops stock and it was better, but still not enough for me. I've gone back to a wood 13" LOP stock set with lead weight added inside the stock and a limbsaver recoil pad. It's pretty near perfect for me now and recoil is no longer an issue.

I am not sure it is for me either as this POS Knoxx SpecOps Stock is way off :x I am so not impressed with it the Knoxx SpecOps Stock nor the designer. I would have never gotten it if I knew.

I did just ordered the $9.00 part. I will post if it works.

OK, found a second reason why I hate this stock today. It does not let you take off the Trigger group without taking off the Knoxx Blackhawk Stock :evil:

This just sucks....You need to take the trigger group off every 200 runds to clean per the Mossberg 500 manual.

Sims LimbSaver Slip-On Recoil Pad on Mossy 500

I just purchased a $35 Sims LimbSaver Slip-On Recoil Pad (size large) :mrgreen: to put on a Mossy 500 MarineCote. This was just the ticket for me.

http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/recoil.php#slip

I would get another Blackhawk Knoxx recoil-reducing Stock, but it has too many issues like unable to take out Mossberg "Trigger Guard" to clean after every 200 rounds (per Mossberg). :eek: It also has major eye level issues. :eek:

Re: Sims LimbSaver Slip-On Recoil Pad on Mossy 500

Very nice,

I absolutely love my Limbsavers!

mine fell off this elk season....

I can't wait to try it out with my new painted cerakote 28" VR barrel that I just got back. :D

Back