• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 4x4 laminate

I pondered a foul weather rifle for quite some time. The only two that really fit the bill were the Remington XCR and the Mossberg 4x4 with Marinecote. I have several stainless rifles and a few chrome moly rifles that are Duracoated. Stainless can rust. I wanted really tough. I take very good care of my rifles but foul weather does happen.

Being the tight wad I am, I chose the less costly option. The 4x4 with fluted barrel, laminated stock and Marinecote finish was half the cost of an XCR. I got a 30-06 because brass is ubiquitous, I have a ton of it and the 30-06 is so versatile. I also have plenty of hot rod calibers on hand too.

This is my first Mossberg centerfire and so far I am impressed. If it shoots half as well as it looks and feels it will be remarkable. Got some Hornady SSTs loaded on top of H4350 powder and it's ready to test. Update to follow for those who may be interested.

You are going to be pleasantly surprised when you get out and shoot it. The Mossberg 4x4 is a great rifle for the price especially with the options you got on yours. Let us know how it goes when you get to shoot it.

257 Shooter said:
Update to follow for those who may be interested.

Congrats!! And I am definitely interested in hearing about it. And seeing some pics if you are willing. :D

404361148.jpg

Here's the rifle. Just experimenting with photos. Will try to put up more.

257 Shooter said:
404361148.jpg

Here's the rifle. Just experimenting with photos. Will try to put up more.

That's a nice looking rifle!!

Thanks, guys.

Quick report: Shot the 4x4 today to get it on paper. I used my primitive bore sight method at 25 yards and got it ready for 100 yards in just two shots. Shot a three shot group with 180 Hornady SSTs over 56 grains of H4350. They averaged 2746 fps for the three shots. They grouped into 1.5" at 100 yards. I made a scope adjustment. Next I shot a three shot group with a 180 grain Speer SP over the same charge of H4350. They averaged 2715. They shot into almost exactly an inch. I was pretty pleased considering these were the first shots with the first loads and it was 28 degrees. Cold fingers.

I cleaned the barrel this afternoon and fired one three-shot group at 200 yards with the SST load in a stiff cross wind from three o'clock. They went into about 2" with the last two shots touching. I haven't had time to post photos of targets. I've been a little pinched for time. I will try some 165 grain bullets next even though a person could hunt with either load right now. This rifle is clearly a keeper.

The SSTs are a boat tail with a polymer tip. Some rifles prefer the regular Hornady spire point boat tail to the SST. We'll see about this one. I have a couple more loads ready to try. Soon as I get a chance.

Shot two three-shot groups at 200 yards yesterday. The 165 Hornady SPBT went into 2" the first group. Concentrated harder on the next three and they went into 1 1/8". Average velocity was 2954 fps. Very pleased. You just can't beat this rifle for the price.

There are plenty of rifles that can't beat 1 1/8" @ 200yd for twice the price.

Great shoot'n Sir...

Thank you. You are absolutely correct about twice the price. I don't know how often I could match this performance but the rifle is certainly capable. When the weather is suitable we'll stretch it out farther just for fun.

I love being able to really reach out.

Sadly, I don't get the opportunity very often but it's some of the most rewarding shooting I've ever done. Be sure to post up your results when you have the opportunity to let it ride...

Back