• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

Sorry for the ignorance, but here's what I've been wondering... if the 590 has a 20" barrel, a 20" mag tube and holds 8+1... how come the 500 with a 20" barrel and a 20 mag tube only holds 7+1 :?: ? Not that one shot is a big deal... just curious. Is there an easy way to modify the 500 to take that one extra? I did read somewhere that you could "stuff" 8 of the cheap 7 1/2 shot loads.

The difference is in the design of the magazine tube end cap. The 590 cap extends beyond the end of the mag tube allowing just enough room for that one extra round...

No fair...I want what they have! in that case, maybe i'll have to add a 590 to the family one day :)

Seems like as good a reason as any to get another shotgun...

I know! $600 bucks for the extra round... pretty good justification to me :D Although I guess you get the alloy parts and the heavier barrel as well. I was pretty happy with the solidness (is that a word?) of the 500, we'll stick with that for now.

On another note, I was pocking around Aimpro's website and looked at the services they provide. Has anyone sent in their gun for their action work or "old school action job" as they call it? In my mind, you could probably get the same service by going through a few boxes of shells :twisted: Or a bit of polishing of the main surfaces.

Sorry for the crappy reversed pic (using my webcam on the Mac) but the mailman dropped off little package for me... the Ergo forend, Magpul AVG2 (it's slimmer than the original) and a cheap Allen buttstock shell holder :D So sad they have to wait for their new home... soon soon!
Photo7.jpg

I'm very impressed with the feel of the Ergo forend. Very solid but not too heavy, can't wait to see what's it like on the gun.

I love get'n those kind of packages!

Lookin forward to you being able to get everything set up on your new 500. I'm especially interested to see how you like the AFG2. I tried it on my 590 and found it to be a little too short. It banged the crap outta my knuckle and had to switch to the slightly longer AFG...

Lol... I've got relatively small hands (...small gloves remember? ;) ) so I think this one should fit well, but I can't be certain until I actually get to run it through some full power loads... will keep you posted!

Just got the tracking info! Shipped overnight FedEx :shock: why can't it be Monday tomorrow (You won't here me say that very often!) I guess you'll just get to see the project unfold sooner, what a bummer :D

Re: My new build

Well parts are to show up today. I just hsve to we and see, I am on the east coast and Sandy is blowing. Hope sll will be sage as the strom does it thing.

Re: After market mods for HD 410?

GiovanniLuigi said:
We also have a Mossberg 500 .410 for HD. I didn't realize that only carried 3 rounds total (1 in the chamber and 2 in the tube)... that's RIDICULOUS! So, does anyone know if there's a way to add a longer tube to carry a least another 2 rounds?... It's not that I want to make it a tactical, but surely there's a way I can add a light and saddles and more rounds ready to go...
Thanks for any suggestions you might have...

Sounds like you need to remove the plug.

Has anyone had any luck finding a folding stock for the HS410? Would the ATI TFS0600 work? http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Technolo ... B000OFKFRO

Re: My new build

I'll make sure to take some pics as I do this mod and post'm up, hopefully it works out! Stay dry and don't blow away!!!!

Custom work on my 500

So I bought a Mossberg 500 persuader a couple weeks ago at the gun show here in town. I'm not a big fan of plastic furniture or tacticool for that matter. Not that I hate it, It's just not me. But I got it out the door for well under $300 - one of those can't miss deals.

DAh0ol.jpg

Blurry Mossy 500 with pistol grip. It's gotta go. Unblurry, It looks like this:
35987_20101130201450_1.jpg

Found this set on Ebay. The forearm matches the 590 stock which is too wide for my receiver so I used the factory stock.
E5AmNl.jpg

Checked fit-up
hbtk2l.jpg

Stripped and stained - pre-oil. I picked up some black cherry which almost looked purple going on. I just used one coat after using some pre-stain. After that, several coats of cherry Danish oil. It added a rich, deep red to it.
aruMWl.jpg

Finished after a nice cure and polish.
vido2l.jpg

kiRI0l.jpg

6CdyNl.jpg

Re: After market mods for HD 410?

If the o.p. would like to see the very best multi-use configuration of the personal/home defense .410 pump,you might want to check out the thread "DFGMk-1 and Mk-2".

Also if you would like a home defense load that would better fit said role,you would do well with the Federal 3-inch #4 Buck load.

Re: Custom work on my 500

The wood looks great !!

I don't mind plastic, but I like traditional wood too.

Re: Custom work on my 500

That's super nice! There's just something about a shotgun with a full-length mag tube like that, and wood furniture.

GOT TO TAKE HER HOME! Alright, here's the blank canvas...well taken apart that is :D
DSC_0002.jpg

A quick turning of the wrenches....
DSC_0008-1.jpg

After a degrease... wipe down,re-grease, magpulization... and a little Semper Paratus ;)
DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

I should get to shortening the stock very soon... LOP is definitely a little long for comfort. Glad to be reunited... does this mean I can actually call myself a Mossberg Owner :D

Back