• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Oklahoma Open Carry Law effective today

bsipes30

.270 WIN
Oklahoma is now an open carry state as of today, but what i think is funny is you still have to go through all the process of getting a license which takes over 2 months usually. Makes me miss Alaska where you just assume everyone has a gun.
My thoughts on this are most gun owners that already have a conceal carry license wont open carry. Or at least they wont wory about printing... lol

What are your thoughts?

Here in MI you can OC without a Concealed Pistol License (CPL)

You have to be 21 to get a CPL but you can own a handgun at 18. If you want to carry you have to OC. Also is allows people that can't otherwise get a CPL (i.e. background check) an option if they are still able to possess one.

If you OC with a CPL you have access to a lot of places where the state disallows CC such as schools, bars, etc. (not to say you won't put the place on lockdown, but it is legal.)

We have three sets of rules: OC w/o CPL, OC w/ CPL and CC.

We have no laws against printing and being an OC state is nice if you accidently expose your gun/holster while CC'ing or just feel like taking you jacket. etc off.

MI passed a state preemption law a while back that forbids local gov from imposing stricter gun laws than the state but there are still a lot of local govs with old laws on the books and many of them still try to enforce them, often ending up in court. You will sometimes run in to LEO's that are anti gun and will try to trip you up or just blatently don't know the law. I hear of bad encounters on occasion and a few end up in court.

In PA you can also open carry without a concealed permit. I have done it a few times. All were either camping in the mountains or fishing a remote stream.

We also have laws barring localities from making laws that are tougher than the state laws. Philadelphia in particular does not appreciate open or concealed laws and is frequently sued for violating the peoples gun rights.

Sometimes I read the open carry posts on the PAFOA:
http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/

Connecticut has always been an OC state.
But to carry a gun OC or CC a permit is needed.
Unfortunately most of the police here are not aware that OC is legal.
Something that my organization, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc. (CCDL) has been working on since we formed.
It is getting better but there are still some hard headed cops out there that dont want to realize that OC is legal.

I haven't read anything about our new law yet just what i've heard from people and it sounds like they are just changing the cc permit to be a "handgun" permit so you can either open carry or conceal carry. I personally would still rather conceal. Out of sight out of mind. Now out in the woods on a trip of course i would rather open carry but day to day i don't think any of the "normal" gun guys here will change much.
Now that's not saying there isn't some radicals that were probably wandering around walmart around midnight just to open carry. Just to prove a point. Idiots... lol

I could not disagree with your idiot comment more.
A right unexercised is a right lost.
OCers are just exercising their right, BY LAW.
Here in CT, we have a "Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers".
There is no law that mandates concealment.
Every year someone in the legislature brings up a bill that would mandate concealment.
The way we have always fought it, is that anyone that prints or accidently exposes would then be subject to arrest.
So far we have been successful.
The right to OC actually helps to protect your right to CC, and not be harassed for blowing concealment.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT

While I wont carry open, I think the best intent of the law is to cover CCW people if the firearm accidentally prints or is exposed.

LTB45 said:
I could not disagree with your idiot comment more.

I know this is going to be a heated topic so lets try to keep it civil.

Back on topic

Laws don't grant rights or priviledges, they can only restrict our rights.

The more laws we have the more we are restricted. Concealed carry is a law and a restriction. Any law that says where we can and cannot carry and how we must carry is a infringment upon our rights.

I understand that not everyone wants to OC, is comfortible with OC, and so on, but we should all be supporting anyones right to own. carry, etc with as few restrictions as posible.

It is much easier to exercise a right than it is to get it back once it's gone.

Contrary to popular belief, the wild west was not full of showdown at dawn shootouts in the street (check the history book if you don't believe me). These are Hollywood fabrication. Compared to today it was quite peaceful.

Just to be clear.
I was not calling anyone an idiot.
I was just commenting on bsipes30 statement.
"Just to prove a point. Idiots... lol"
I should have used a quote in my comment to make it clear. :D

When I first saw the idiot part I had to go back and reread to see what it referenced. It shocked me too initially! ;)

Ohio is also an OC state with preemption as described by MikeD. In fact it sounds identical. However, it isn't practiced and most folks would rather not try because of the stories of harassment. I've heard of firearms bein confiscated till everything goes through court after charges of inciting panic.

There is a website that lists all the states and they are color coded to represent the degree of gun friendliness. You can click on each state to see laws regarding carry in that state. Ohio is actually listed with the friendliest towards firearm ownership and carry. Like I said, I never see anyone carrying.

Based on that, I am able to totally agree with the point made by LTB, that the right needs to be exercised, even if only to do it because you can. If I felt like fighting it in court, if I could afford to miss work and get an attourney, id do it today. I'm certain someone would take notice.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forum ... The-States
There is a forum that is dedicated to Open Carry as well.
Every state has its own section on there.
This is where the founding Members of CCDL came from.
We met on there and decided to have dinner one night.
20 people showed up for dinner and 10 of us continued with the plan discussed at that dinner.
That was a little over 3 1/2 years ago. Today we have over 2500 members.
To be clear, we are not a Pro OC organization. We are Pro whatever is legal in our state.

I was a member of the ocdo forum a few years back. Its been a while since I've logged in there. We have out own Michigan Open Carry .org here. They have been controversial but they have gotten many laws changed/removed from the books in many localities to correspond with state law

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

I'm gonna say that I understand the point bsipes was making.

We have one of the "idiots" he's referring to here in town that's made national news by trying to push the limits of our open carry law to prove a point. Just look up Embody vs. Ward. He has had a run-in with local police on at least four occasions, the last of which resulted in his carry permit being revoked. The first time I remember hearing his name was when he was reported carrying a .44 cal black powder pistol in his hand as he walked down a busy street in a local neighborhood. He was detained on the scene, but ultimately released after his license was validated. The one that lost him his license was when he decided to walk around a local state park dressed in camo with an AK pistol slung across his chest. He even painted the flash hider orange to make it look like a toy. Park ranger Ward "forcibly disarmed" and detained Embody after receiving reports from several terrified park visitors. This came just after the law was passed allowing lawful HCP holders to carry in TN state parks.

Whatever his intentions, this individual is working against us. His actions have opened the door for legal precedents to be set against lawful citizens who wish to simply exercise their right to open carry. Now, due to the court's ruling, the precedent is set that here in TN if you "look suspicious" while legally exercising your right to OC you may be forcibly disarmed, detained, and possibly lose your right to carry.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for open carry, but I have no problem calling this guy an idiot...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Don't get me wrong I'm all for open carry, but I have no problem calling this guy an idiot...

I agree with you 100% on this guy.

I signed up on that site you gave LTB. I read under Ohio a thread about cincy in hamilton co where I work. It mentioned something that had been passed this year I think, stating (even though Ohio state law of open carry preempts local laws), anyone exercising that right will be arrested for inducing panic.

While ohio has long been an opencarry state even without a permit or ccw, I've never seen it done. Never.

I have seen examples of guys like L.E.S pointed out and they are a detriment. On the other end are those that exercise their rights and when questioned use it an opportunity to positively educate those that don't know their rights. It's a shame that a lot of OC people have to carry recording devices to document when their rights a trampled, especially if it's by a LEO. If you want to see the good, the bad and the ugly, see the link in my early post and lurk on the PAFOA.

LTB45 said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I agree with you 100% on this guy.

The scary part is that he applied for and was granted a home based FFL here in TN. He now runs a business transferring firearms to individuals out of his house... :shock:

well, two days into the law, one store posted a sign yesterday as a firearm free location. I haven't seen anyone carrying open.

Im glad the state returned some of my rights and eased the restrictions. Its not however something Im looking to exercise. I am and have always been one of those people that want to go as absolutely unnoticed as possible.

Fronty Owner said:
well, two days into the law, one store posted a sign yesterday as a firearm free location.
If you have a Toys "R" Us they have a national policy against carrying in their stores.
Everyone is labeled on the door.

Most gun people in CT avoid ALL stores that post such things.

Here's a link to a site where people rate businesses for gun friendliness. It's funny that LTB mentioned Toys R Us as the second red flag I clicked on was them. You enter you zip code and select map. My area didn't have to many stores rated as OC isn't to popular here.

http://friendorfoe.us/

Back