• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Action Rifles

Alrighty! Sounds like a plan! I have been contemplating just getting the Barrel pre-cut, crowned and threaded... but I don't know anyone who can install the barrel for me that doesn't charge $130....

Well we still have a few months to go, but you know how that goes, I'm sure.. haha Had to start saving for this and that and move funds from my projects to her's... Its not a mans world anymore fellas! :p

Barrel is back ordered for November 23rd... :(

Itsricmo said:
Its not a mans world anymore fellas!

Sure it is brother.

You just have to share it with your woman now. The key is finding balance between the two. As long as my wife's needs are met, I'm free to do what I want with my hobbies. She still shakes her head and doesn't understand it, but she knows that it's just my thing...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
She still shakes her head and doesn't understand it, but she knows that it's just my thing...

Or say we're idiots! :D

Thing is man, they may never "understand" except to know for whatever stOOpid reason, we like firearms. And bullets, n stuff.

My wife likes havin her hair and nails done. She likes knick-knack thingies. She likes bein surprised in ways that she recognizes as meaning I'm payin attention. She likes not havin to remind me to put guns away and I'm tellin ya, movin guns from the bed to the table, back to the bed and later to the table is not the same as puttin them away. She likes when I decide on what we're havin for dinner and then fixin it. She likes when I remember to take care of my work clothes for the week cuz I cant wash em with regular stuff. She likes when I do stuff she wants to do, like sit out back with a fire and make smores, just cuz she likes to. She likes when I dont complain about havin to go to a friends weddin, cuz its important to her.

I still cant claim to understand her though cuz rules change sometimes without notice. But when shes happy, its way easier for me to get out the door for the only therapy time I need which is shootin!

She may never really understand brother, but we strike a balance and do for each other cuz we know the other likes it. We make exceptions and allowances, and sacrifice to make sure needs are met... sometimes we have to sell a prized firearm. We do what we gotta do, but takin care of your woman is first. Do that first man. Then there will be time for the give and take, but it cant be done in selfishness. Ya gotta do it all with love man and never let the sun go down on anger, always be able to say "I love you, good night".

Ugh... anyhow. I like bolt guns too and really want one! :D

Rossignol said:
She likes not havin to remind me to put guns away and I'm tellin ya, movin guns from the bed to the table, back to the bed and later to the table is not the same as puttin them away.

HAHAHA! :lol: I just crapped my pants laughing! I had this same conversation with my soon to be father-in-law! I appreciate your words of wisdom though as well :)

Just picked this little gem up at the gun show this weekend. Very accurate! Marlin 982VS chambered in .22 WMR, 22" stainless bull barrel

Attachments

• DSC05404.jpg
    DSC05404.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 616
  • DSC05427.jpg
    DSC05427.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 616
Was out Friday getting more shells for the Mossberg and ended up coming home with a Mosin Nagant also. Couldn't pass it up, saw 2 on the wall, had them take em both down, and ended up with this 1939 M91/30. Its not in bad shape.. very very light pitting toward the end of the barrel, but you can hardly see it now after a good cleaning with all the shiny almost mirror like finish inside the barrel, and the crisp rifling, with the exception of the very end of the barrel, maybe 1/8" or so seems to be worn down a bit. The barrel was so full of rust/corrosion I almost didn't buy it. But it is a low wall, everything operated smooth even being dirty. Minor dings on the bottom of the stock and its perfect underneath the woodwork. Even the sear spring was only lightly worn, like the black finish was just barely worn off in one small spot. Super stiff trigger but I will deal with it, not going to shim it or bubba it up. If i do invest some money into this one day it will get a Timney trigger.

All 4 numbers match, but the bottom of the cartridge has one of the 2 letter and 4 digit numbers marked out with a single line through it, and the matching number stamped on it, same exact style as on the receiver.

Its an Izhevsk, but the bolt seems to have the Tula star on it, no arrow in it, but the numbers match, guess that is from the refurb before storage.

Either way I already have a few hours into cleaning it up a bit and smoothing a few things out and loved every minute of it. :)
mosin0012.jpg

mosin003.jpg

mosin002.jpg

Had been thinking about getting a .308, and cheap is always good, but I like new. I am also a sucker for stainless which doesn't help. My friend called me and said he was at Dick's sporting goods and they had a sale on Savage rifles packaged with the Nikon scope, so I drove up there to check 'em out.

Turns out they didn't have the stainless Savage scope/rifle package, just the blued/syn stock version for $499.95. But Hey!, what is that next to it on the gun rack? A Remington 700, in stainless with a syn stock and a cheap 3-9x40 scope, for $20 less than the Savage. Hmm...

I was more impressed overall with the Remington, although the Savage had a lot going for it. I was pleased it has a metal trigger guard and metal trigger, the Savage's Accutrigger is metal but the trigger guard is composite. The Remington does have a blind mag, which I will have to practice unloading/loading. Trigger feels very crisp perhaps a tad heavy, but nicer than anything else I own. The Savage had a nicer synthetic stock if it means anything. However, the Savage was very sloppy in comparison to the Remington...almost alarmingly so. Especially in the bolt. That explains why it is smoother out of the box! The Savage had what appeared to be a plastic tang safety button almost a-la the Mossberg, I much preferred the Remington's splined metal knob.

I think I got a great rifle for a great price, and it is also my first centerfire rifle, so I am pretty pumped about that. Sorry about the crappy pics, the gun does look very nice. The stainless is a bead-blasted matte and the bolt has very nice jeweling.

Attachments

• DSC05691.jpg
    DSC05691.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC05699.jpg
    DSC05699.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC05702.jpg
    DSC05702.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 380
*Jealous of Thor*
*Pouts*

Very Nice, Thor! What brand is the scope they put on it? At Walmart they have Bushnell Banners but Gander has something that looks similar to a Simmons

Sneaky, thank you. I do like stainless guns, both my Marlin and now this, are ss. I am a machinist and can appreciate stainless steel in guns. The Remington is advertised as being made of 416, which is heat treatable but not as corrosion resistant as other stainless steels. It is a tough metal.

I don't think the price was too bad at 480, considering what you got. The only thing I don't like is I have heard a lot of bad things about Remington as of late. It seems most of Marlin's new xt series .17 and .22 rifles have bad problems out of the box new, and they are a subsidiary of Remington nowadays. However, this rifle seems rock solid. I am hoping I got a good one.

Lazy- I currently have no particular place to shoot this gun, but there are a few rifle range clubs around. I also know a few people who have property where shooting is ok. I guess this is something I should have considered before purchase, but it spoke to me so now I gotta figure it out. Lol.

crimo- thank you! The scope literally has nothing printed on it except 3-9x40 on the top, and then the numbered graduations on the scope adjustment ring. That says to me, China. I have seen some other Remington scope packaged rifles and the scope knobs have a Remington R on them, I think those are Tascos but not sure. And I don't know enough about optics to id anything by sight. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :-(

edit: one more pic. This was actually machined on the receiver by what appears to be an endmill. I think that is pretty cool.

Attachments

• DSC05697.jpg
    DSC05697.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 366
That is really nice work! My grandfathers 700 doesn't have that, it does have some nice scroll work though, like the swirls and stuff

Going to be in line for a New/Used Mosin Nagant tomorrow night $90 + ammo at Dunhams Sports :D
Hopefully I get there early enough

Back