• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Rossignol said:
Well, if you're not a 1911 guy, id be happy to relieve you of that responsibility because that Colt is a beautiful firearm!

Thanks, but I'm afraid it's not going anywhere. It was inherited. ;)

Thanks! There's a story behind it.
My grandma's Husband owned it. It was his Dad's bought new in 1924. He owned a service station in York, PA, and was a volunteer deputy with the Sheriff's department down there during prohibition, and carried the pistol with him on duty, going to bust up moonshine 'stils. The sights were replaced with target sights in the 60's, when my Grandma's Husband was a member of a sportsman's club in york that had pistol matches.

I've got the pistol, a old, old, old Bianchi holster for it, three original two-tone magazines for it, and a newer Bianchi shoulder holster.

By the miles it looks as if it has on it I bet its got some stories to tell!

If you get a chance, post the leather that goes with it! ;)

Thanks for the quick replies! As Always!!

I was looking through my fathers 2013 Pistol Buyers guide and it was listed @ 47oz unloaded. I know that 1911's are inherently heavy because of their design and materials, not a problem :) but 47 unloaded is a bit heavy I felt.

I appreciate the pictures, Jimmy, I like those grips! I was thinking about the Railed version but cannot exactly justify it versus the non railed lol. (According to that guide the MSRP is $75 more for railed)

What I am looking for is generally just reviews and what people think overall about it. More up to date reviews as well, Google has its advantages but the disadvantage is that the reviews are years old.

Is the Full Size Gov't model compatible with most, if not all, Gov't Model parts?
Any specific sights to consider, Novak, Regualr GI, etc?
Grips, probably the most easily obtained part, anyone think a specific company makes grips worth money?

Stuff Like That! Thanks Guys/Gals!

Travis, that is a REAL nice Colt!

Govt parts will fit. Like any 1911 though, some will drop in, some will need some fitting.

Sights are personal preference- The GI sights I'm not crazy about but they work.

Grips- I have VZ on the RIA and my Kimber and love them. Raasco makes nice grips along with a bunch of others. Just depends on what you like.

You already know a 5" 1911 is going to be heavier than the XD9sc LES said you were looking at also. I've got an XD40sc and when it and the RIA are both loaded the difference in weight really isn't enough for me to notice. Like I said, a good gun belt is your friend.

I LOVE the weight of a govt. 1911!!!

I had Pachmyar wrap around grips on mine, they're about $25 and always felt great!

I had Novak night sights. I liked them but would have been happy with3 dot sights as well. If you swap sights, you just have to be sure of the cuts in the slide to be certain they're compatible. The Novak cut I think is something specific but I may be wrong.

The Novak cut is the most commonly used dovetail for night sights and most combat or target style sight upgrades. If you have a GI (Colt) dovetail cut, your upgrade options are severely limited without having a gunsmith re-cut your slide...

Updated Question

That's the kind of stuff I need to know! Thanks!!
I would have been REALLY upset had I gone out and bought a 1911 with Dovetail and not Novak cuts!!

As for the XD9sc I have been considering that as well. Just I think the 1911 will shoot better :p
I am real new to the 1911 scene and am not entirely sure how much a 1911 "should" weigh, but if it is really marginal than I see no reason to not get a 1911 :)

I have checked out the Raasco grips and Hogue Grips as well! I really like some of the Raasco but Hogue seems to have a good assortment of grips that I like. Any quality issues or something I should specifically look for in grips?

What is the benefit, if any, of a Bobtail Mainspring Housing?

Here's one of 1911's a Springer TRP Operator. Have to say out of all the ones ive had over the years custom and stock this is one of the best shooters!

Attachments

• TRP With Half Rail.JPG
    TRP With Half Rail.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 169
Re: Updated Question

Itsricmo said:
What is the benefit, if any, of a Bobtail Mainspring Housing?

When trying to conceal a full-framed 1911, the angular butt of the frame is what most often prints or exposes the weapon. The idea behind rounding the frame and mainspring housing into a bobtail is that the weapon becomes easier to conceal. The rounded edges are also thought to be less likely to snag on clothing, etc.

On shorter framed officer model 1911s or for shooters with large hands, the rounded bobtail can also offer a more comfortable grip where the frame meets the heel of your hand...

Bobtail

Standard

Whether for comfort or aesthetics, it's really just another matter of personal choice. I regularly CC my full-sized 1911s with no issues and there's not a bobtail in the bunch. I've also got decent sized mitts and the standard frames are plenty comfortable for me. I do like the look of a bobtail though...

Alright that settles that! :p Thanks for the info and pictures L.E.S.!

A plan is coming together well and quickly! :p

Here's my Springfield ultra carry V10. The grips I made myself by doing a cast mold. I can put anything cut to size behind them. Got the idea when I saw an old pair of clear grips for a full size 1911. The owner said that soldiers used to make them from aircraft canopies and put pics of their sweethearts behind them. Mine aren't very durable so I carry it with hogue grips.but But it was a fun project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 149
Picked up another TRP LR AK today. Had been saving up for a Pro but deal was to good to pass up.
Picks of new one in case and with it's twin.

Attachments

• here she is.JPG
    here she is.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 126
  • twins.JPG
    twins.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 126
I just went too J&D Guns in Altoona, PA, and looked at the RIA 1911 G.I. Model. I love it... Plain and Simple! It is a budget friendly sidearm for me in a caliber that has proven itself in the field! My only gripe?

The sites on the G.I. are only Dovetail, limiting me in switching them out. The front sight is staked to the slide so that would not be able to be removed to my knowledge... I am looking for a tactical railed model now, the salesman at J&D couldn't find any for me today to put on Layaway. He did say that the Tactical and Tactical Railed have both sights dovetail attached. So I could switch them both out at my own accord. :)

Back