• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

#3 Buckshot?

honkey

.270 WIN
I was just curious if anyone could direct me to any info about the effectiveness of #3 Buckshot in a 20 gauge for home defense. Today, I picked up a box of Remington Express (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/636662 ... viewHeader) and I have it in my new Mossberg 500c. Would you guys feel comfortable with this as a defense round and/or does anyone have any info they can post about the effectiveness?

It's what I keep mine loaded with; 20 pellets of .25 caliber moving at 1200 fps...fired from my 500C with the 18.5" barrel it patterns about 4" at 5 yards and 8.5" at 10 yards.

Seems adequate to me. I wouldn't use it on bear or moose, but we almost never have any of them breaking into homes here.

Tom396 said:
The first couple of rounds in my HD 20 gauge are Remington #3 buckshot, the remainder are 00 buck:

http://www.luckygunner.com/20-ga-2-3-4- ... -25-rounds

It's very cheap and it goes bang every time. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Have you ever checked groupings with this on paper? I did see that, but what I had read was that OO wasn't great out of a 20ga since the layering of the shot wasn't consistent. The #3 was the only buckshot I found available near me for 20ga. I went to 5 stores and finally found it at Gander Mountain.

honkey said:
Have you ever checked groupings with this on paper? I did see that, but what I had read was that OO wasn't great out of a 20ga since the layering of the shot wasn't consistent.

Yes, I have.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3963

Wouldn't be much count out to 15 yards, but inside of that, I think it will do the trick. Take care. Tom Worthington

That's what I have, as well as some #2 buck which is also easiest to find online. My 20 ga. is dedicated HD; in theory it should never be used outside the house other than training. I would prefer #3 buck over any handgun ammo for room distances. If for some odd reason I though I had to take the 20 gauge outside for some social work, I also have some slugs.

If I went camping or something I would probably take the 12 gauge or a rifle.

Back