• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

4X4 MissFiring

mheller

Copper BB
I fired for the first time my 4X4 chambered in the 300 Winchester magnum. All went quite nice for the first 17 rounds and then I got 3 missfires in a row, barely denting the primer. I dry fired it a few times and then was able to fire off two of the three missfires. Has anyone else experienced problems of this nature? I am somewhat dissapointed with this, a brand new bolt action rifle should not have these kinds of issues. Yes: factory ammo (Remington)

I assume it will have to go back to Mossberg and I have been trying to contact themdirectly and can get no one? every option goes into some crazy phone system of theirs.

Anyone have any suggestions

Have you disassembled and cleaned the bolt?

The firing pin spring could be gunked up with grease, possibly causing the inconsistent strikes on the primers...

No, I wouldn't have thought it necessary after only 17 rounds? I finally got through to Mossberg today and they thought it unusual as well. They want me to send the rifle back. We'll see.

^ That's their standard response.

Please allow me to clarify my earlier remarks. Mossbergs of all makes and models have a tendancy to leave the factory caked in thick oil/grease as a rust preventative in case of lengthy storage begore purchase. Depending on how long your 4x4 sat in stock before making its way into your hands, any grease inside the bolt could have dried up around the firing pin. I could see that causing issues with the spring and possibly binding up your firing pin to the point of causing light strikes. I would think a bad spring should cause more consistent light strikes/mis-fires.

Just trying to offer a suggestion that may save you from having to send your rifle in. Your call though...

Thanks - yes the internals were clean, I am suspecting a spring although I have nothing to measure it by, looks like it will go back. Timing sucks as I am trying to get ready for the season.

Ah yeah, that does suck.

It was worth a shot. If you're able to get through to a live person at Mossberg, ask for Javier Contreras. He's a CS supervisor that has always made sure things get taken care of properly the first time. Otherwise, it can be a crap shoot going through the standard CS department channels.

Good luck with the turnaround and keep us posted...

+1 to asking for Javier but keep us updated on your situation and hope you get it back soon.

Well I received my rifle back today, apparently they replaced the trigger housing assembly. I'm going to try to get out this weekend and put another box through it. Hopefully the issue is resolved, it sure was a confidence defeater to have such an issue with a brand new rifle. Would not have been very happy if one of those misfires were while looking on a nice buck!

I really hope it all works out for you! I have a 4x4 in .338 and I'm in love with it! I got a load worked out that puts bullets on top of one another. Be advised, my gun shoots better out of a fouled barrel. Yours may be different, but I doubt it.

Back