• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag extension 8+1 to 10+1 is it possible?

Ok Guys,
I was down the range today and one of the guys had a mossberg 500 that he just added a mag extension to to take it to 8+1. My 590 is already 8+1 as standard but it got me thinking. Due to UK law I have to have a perminantly fitted muzzle brake to take the barrel to a legal legnth. This give me loads of room under the barrel. Do you think Its possible to fit a +2 making it a 10+1 ?

As you can see plenty of room under the brake and its only ported at the side
404501292.jpg

This is the style of +2 he got
404501294.jpg

Just dont know If I would be able to find a mag spring long enough. Any Ideas

Regards

Chris

Its absolutely possible and would look sweet!

Most, if not all, extensions should come with a spring. Those I'm familiar with do, like the Nordic comp extension for example. Just look up yhour mldel, the 590, and you should have a list of options from a +1 to what ever yhou desire!

Thats convinced me, just emailed S&J Hardware to order a +2 tube extension :cool: . Still waiting for most of the other parts I orderd from Midway UK and Brownelles. I thought about putting the UBR on my 10/22 and getting an enidine buffer and a diffent magpul sotck. Just having a hard time locating the buffer in a EU or UK supplier as it cant be exported form the US even to a RFD due to ITAR :(

Hi Chris
I am in the UK and have the exact same Mossberg - if I were you I would ask the supplier [Saddlery] to replace the birdcage extension with a solid one - the bars on mine started bending after a few rounds of buckshot and the pattern was like a ring donut [big hole in the middle such that at 15m there are no hits on a standard Item target]. This is a known issue in the UK and a lot of shooters who have this shotgun have sent their barrels back for modification. For an extension I have the Nordic +1 tube, which with short cartridges [Lyalvale Pigeon 30gm #6] gives me 10+1 rounds. Spare springs are readily available from Brownells, or try Shield in Dorset.

Headhunter,
Cheers for the info. I havent had any issues as of yet but only run 600 or so rounds. If I see any problems i will give them a call. Did they charge anything for the modification ?

Re barrel exchange - no, there was no charge - I believe that others before me had complained and they exchanged the birdcage for a solid extension without any hassle. Shortly after this all came about I saw that on their website they started offering a solid barrelled version off the peg, so I wonder whether the birdcage variants days are numbered? On mine it was demonstrably a problem as the uprights of the birdcage were clearly bending, so buckshot had been ricocheting off them.
One other modification I did make, which I felt was really worthwhile, was to import a Hogue overmoulded rubber stock/forend - with all the wet weather we get it makes the gun that much easier to hang onto and control.

I spoke to them Wednesday. They advised that the new versions with the birdcage like mine have a thicker wall on the barrel extension. No issues reported

I will do. Really I only usually run slug and bird shot in it, Mainly S&B slug. Im just setting up my own little buisiness doing PSG and tactical accessories. Should be sorting my 1st order out next week for AP custom shell caddies 4x4, 3x3 and classic 4's, Mossberg 500/590 over sized tactical safteys, 870 competition safteys, benelli M1 and M2 safteys and variouse rail and side saddle options for all shotguns. Im quite looking forward to getting it off the ground.

Back