• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Cleaning/Maintenance

Re: Does Mossberg fire their guns prior to shipping?

I just purchased MB 500 .410 pump. I brought it home and commenced to firing. NOT, after the first shot I racked it and 2 live shells fell out. The spent shell didn't come out until I racked it again. On top of that when I racked it the 2nd time 2 more live rounds fell out.

I can't get it to cycle properly. I've never had problems like this B4 with any other pump gun I have. HELP!!!! I don't know what to do with it. :x :evil: :!:

abhaya said:
I just purchased MB 500 .410 pump. I brought it home and commenced to firing. NOT, after the first shot I racked it and 2 live shells fell out. The spent shell didn't come out until I racked it again. On top of that when I racked it the 2nd time 2 more live rounds fell out.

I can't get it to cycle properly. I've never had problems like this B4 with any other pump gun I have. HELP!!!! I don't know what to do with it. :x :evil: :!:

First thing I would do, based on experience and other posts, is clean it thoroughly, especially the chamber. My 500 12ga would hold spent shells in it occasionally until I cleaned out the chamber and bore with scotch brite and cleaning solvent

Like OhoiArcher says....clean it. Go get a cleaning kit. That's the cheapest fix. Mossberg packs them with grease that is purely for shipping purposes only. It is to keep the gun and it's parts from rusting. You need to get rid of it all. Do not take apart the trigger housing though. You can use a qtip for that area. When you are done cleaning it, lube it with Hoppes #9 or Frog Lube. You don't need to apply it so its dripping off just enough to lube lightly.
Before you do this, familiarize yourself with the videos on youtube about field stripping Mossberg 500. It is real easy to do. After you have done the required cleaning and reassembling then you may try it again.
Report back here to update us on your progress....
And thanx for joining us, and welcome to the club.

Not going to lie, I felt really stupid when I finally realized how easy a Mossberg is to strip down and reassemble! I was getting my rear kicked trying to get it back together, but practice does make perfect and you will be able to do it with your eyes closed once you get the hang of it :) I promise

I think how to properly seat the barrel and what position to have the pump on the slide is what gets most people and certainly frustrated me A LOT! Lol

Covering Scratches

What do you kids use to cover scratches in the finish of your 930's? All I can come up with is the old fashioned bluing touch-up, but it won't match the "thickness" of Mossbergs covering. :?:

Re: Covering Scratches

Black Sharpie if you’re concerned about rust. If not than honest scratches are earned and shouldn’t be covered up , lets people know you use your guns...

Re: Covering Scratches

I usually end up covering mine with carbon fouling and more scratches! :D

Unless you're willing to refinish the entire firearm, your options are gonna be pretty much limited to the touch up stuff...

new 930 owner with ???

Howdy all. New member here, and new 930JM owner. Just purchased my first "tactical" shotgun and looking forward to many rounds downrange with it. Will be shooting it for the first time later today.
I've installed the .250 drop shim, as I was seeing way to much rib, and it seems to be a perfect sight picture now. I'm planning on setting a bunch of clays on the berm at 25yds. to get a feel for pattern and sighting, learning as I go.
I'm a long time Hi-Pwr and pistol shooter, having previously competed in IDPA and still competing in F-Class long range shooting. Also did a few years in CMP with the AR, and shot registered skeet for a few years while my Dad was still alive. I'm thinking of checking out 3-gun once I learn this new 930.
I do have one question on the 930:
should the outside of the gas piston be lubed? I cleaned the gas system and just lubed the magazine tube, figuring that all the parts slide on it and that should be sufficient. Not sure if I'm thinking correctly or if I'm out to lunch on this. Any specific lube tips would be appreciated. All my previous shotgun experience has been skeet shooting with a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U.
Thanks.

Re: new 930 owner with ???

Went to the range today and shot 50 rounds of #7 1/2 without a hitch. I set up some clay birds at 25 yards. My pattern with a MOD choke looks to be about 3' and just a bit high. When I would hold about 6" low, I'd dust the clay, verses just breaking it with a dead on hold.

I did have an issue with the Royal Buck I bought at the range to try. It was 2.75" OO buck.
They chambered fine from the port, but were very hesitant to go up into the magazine tube. I had to give them a good shove to get up in there. I compared them to the Rem birdshot I had been shooting without issue, and the Buckshot was visually larger in diameter. I need to try some other brands for sure, but I now know that my 930 doesn't like this stuff. It didn't pattern well on paper either at 7 yards. Buckshot is hard to find now, so I'll just have to try whatever I can get a hold of.

Still hoping for an answer to my question about lubing the outside of the gas piston. Hope someone will reply.

Welcome to MO! Enjoy the site.

I have a JM930 also. So far it has worked as advertised. I did break it down and clean it before firing the first time. Mine was very dirty from the factory.

Here's a link to some guidance on lubing the magazine.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1765&p=24122&hilit=lube+piston#p24122

I cleaned mine thoroughly then let it dry. Ran a very lightly oiled swab down the mag and then a clean pad. Haven't had any problems. You don't want it to wet so the oil doesn't get fouled and stick the piston.

Lots of great advice available here. Bear with us on reply times as we all pretty much work as well as shoot (wish the shooting was longer than the working). We also just had a server upgrade but thanks to Dan everything seems to be running flawlessly.

hello,welcome to the club from NY. congrats on your new 930. i don't own a 930 but i'm sure one of the 930 owners will chime in shortly and help you with your questions.

Congrats on your new purchase.

I run the gas piston dry. Separate the rings from the piston and clean them thoroughly. I use fine steel wool or a dremel with a wire wheel. Lots of crud will build up under these quickly, especially if you use oil on the assembly. When reassembled it should jingle when you shake it. Once the rings start getting dirty and tight under there, the piston will bind up in the housing, and may not cycle properly. I might put a very light oil coating on the piston housing, but that's it. Also make sure the mag tube is clean as a lot melted plastic wadding and gunpowder residue will build up on it. I usually use shotgun specific bore solvent, and possibly steel wool, on it depending on dirty it is.

I'm no expert but I did stay at a...

Re: 930 SPX Elevator Upgrade/Enhancement for 3-Gun

Anyone get their elevator welded? I'm looking for options for my 930 elevator. A modified elevator would make it much easier to load during 3 gun matches.

I would think the elevator from a JM Pro model should work. However I can't find a parts list from Mossberg for a JM Pro.

rickman said:
I would think the elevator from a JM Pro model should work. However I can't find a parts list from Mossberg for a JM Pro.

Didn't know the JM Pro had a different elevator ~ thanks for that bit of info! May call Mossberg to see what thay say~

Been looking at reviews etc on the JM Pro series ~ looks like they have the same cut out in the elevator. :cry:

Hmmmm, I might be wrong, sorry. But I had an early (thinner walled barrel) 930SPX that I have since sold and I seem to recall that the elevator on it was slotted and had the cutout at the end. Kept cutting my thumb when trying to speed load it. The JM Pro has a solid elevator (no slot). I found another pic and it shows the solid elevator on the 930SPX. Sorry about that. I thought the JM Pro had a few more 3-Gun upgrades.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review

Shooting Steel Shot

I have a new 930 SPX and I had not yet an opportunity to take it to the range. Work and family first. :D
Anyway, I have been reading posts about folks refusing to put steel shot through their shotguns and so wanted to know if there is a real issue here or not. With the ammo shortage everywhere, all I have been able to find is steel shot, mainly # 6 and higher.

What is the issue with steel shot and smooth bore shotguns? is there one?

Lastly, do you use slugs to zero in at 15 to 25 yards? Hit the paper and then fine tune from there? Totally getting back into the sport after 25 years and so I'm looking for help in getting this stuff correct.

Thanks! Joe

Back