• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Carry Discussion: Tips and Tricks

might consider moving your wallet to your front pocket. I moved mine up there years ago, during a trip south of the border (harder for the pick-pockets that way)

later found that it made getting to my CCW (at 4 or 5:00 carry) much easier, too. and, found that I had problems with lower back or hips (from sitting on the wallet) ;) - but didn't make the Chiro any happier :lol:

honkey said:
<snip>... I was concerned about lifting my shirt up a little too much and revealing my gun.

That used to bother me, as well as printing; now not so much. Though we do have open carry here in MI, not sure of the rules where you're located.

mister_e said:
might consider moving your wallet to your front pocket. I moved mine up there years ago, during a trip south of the border (harder for the pick-pockets that way)

later found that it made getting to my CCW (at 4 or 5:00 carry) much easier, too. and, found that I had problems with lower back or hips (from sitting on the wallet) ;) - but didn't make the Chiro any happier :lol:

I also did that several years ago due to pain in my hip.

mister_e said:

I think I could probably get used to that more easily than my left back pocket. I generally try to keep my phone and keys separate so the key don't scratch the phone, so I would have to move my keys to the back, but that is no big deal.

I have tried to find open carry laws in Alabama, and it appears that there is no law against open carry, but I would still rather keep my gun concealed just to avoid any hassle from people saying I was "Brandishing" my gun, when in reality I was just reaching for something in my pocket.

I have been carrying for 2 weeks and I have learned a few things... My main reason for getting a pistol permit is because I walk my dog late at night after work. I realized immediately that a few things had to change about the way I walk my dog.

-Dog leash stays in left hand with toys and poop bag in right hand. If I ever needed to draw my gun I can drop the toy and bag, but would not be able to get to my gun if the leash is in my right hand.

-Pocket carry makes a bit more sense if I am wearing a hoodie or jacket since my left hand is not free to sweep the garments out of the way. My S&W 642 is perfect for this.

-Now that the weather is warming up a bit, I am not wearing jackets, so I am carrying IWB and have practiced drawing my gun from under my shirt with one hand. I keep my thumb up to catch underneath the shirt and then as my fingers wrap around the gun my thumb closes around it as it is drawn from the holster. I've gotten pretty quick at this with practice. My XD is a little bit better for this since the grip is a bit bigger, it is easier to grab onto.

-A dog that is well trained on leash will be much safer since you do not want a dog pulling you as you draw your weapon, throwing off your aim as you pull the trigger. I walk my dog with a slip collar and I make sure that the loop is facing me at all times (Meaning she has to stay on my left side) so I have maximum control if I have to do a "correction."

honkey said:
I have tried to find open carry laws in Alabama, and it appears that there is no law against open carry, but I would still rather keep my gun concealed just to avoid any hassle from people saying I was "Brandishing" my gun, when in reality I was just reaching for something in my pocket.

You are completely correct. The Attorney General's opinion supports the legal basis that you must have a required permit to carry a CONCEALED handgun, but one that is plainly visible is generally OK.

So if for instance you reach up high on a store shelf for something, or kneel down low while in public, and you briefly expose the fact that you are carrying a handgun then one of two things will happen:

1) Nobody even noticed (this is 98% a certainty)
2) Nobody is going to call the cops on you (another virtual certainty)

nitesite1 said:
Nobody even noticed (this is 98% a certainty)

I talked to my neighbor in the yard for 20-30 minutes the other day before he noticed I was carrying. Most people are to wrapped up in whatever they are doing to notice.

The guys wearing the thigh rigs or the ones with 20 magazine holders around their belt get most of the attention where those of us that just go about our day rarely get noticed. I don't OC often but sometimes it's a nice option to have.

Personally I have no issue with open carry. It is allowed in my state and I don't feel a criminal would want the attention for carrying something they shouldn't be. I do however like the option for concealed carry, to which I have a permit for.

I carry 100% of the time when I leave the house. When I'm on my own time, not at work, I carry a 1911, the SIG P220, or a Beretta 92. I always wear shorts and a t-shirt and if anybody's ever noticed me carrying they'v never said so. You'd be amazed what most folks overlook because they're so wrapped up in what they're doing.

I once wore a pair of size 22 shoes around the office as a joke and nobody noticed for half the day. I couldn't believe it...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I once wore a pair of size 22 shoes around the office as a joke and nobody noticed for half the day. I couldn't believe it...

I just went from bangs to a shaved head, something I do every summer. One of my coworkers came up to me after the third day and asked if I had bought new glasses. Something just seemed different about me. I try to be observant and maintain good situational awareness. It makes me wonder sometimes how much I miss and am not aware of it.

My birth state Oklahoma just passed an open carry law hitched to ones CCW Licence.

I think it's a huge mistake for all Concealed Carry Advocates nationwide. The problem with open carry is, that the small number of attention seekers who wish to impress every man, woman and child in the local Wal-Mart with their operator like, deadlyness. Will result in an exponential increase in Gun Free Zones. Placarded not just for Open Carry but Concealed Carry as well.

For a bunch of guys in love with a book named "Unintended Consequences", There are an awful lot of gun owners out there, unable to think two moves ahead, to our own unintended consequences.

Here in TN we have the same open carry option that goes along with your CC license.

Been up here goin on nine years and I don't recall seeing anyone taking advantage of open carry and there's only one place I've ever seen with the no firearms sticker on the front door. Even the armchair operators seem to realize that advertising posession of a firearm is asking for unwanted attention. I hope the newness in OK wears off soon and folks come to their senses.

Mylastrook's (Davis's) Law

"Any good cause advocacy, will eventually attract a small number of zealots, that will bring said cause down in a fiery funeral pyre of extremism. No matter how well the cause seemed to be advancing at mid-life."

MO_Soldier said:
@cecil88 - look into the flash bang bra holster for your wife. People rave about them. Thanks for serving battle.

:shock: that holster just blew my friggin mind! It's on my wish list to Santa

mingaa said:
Here's my Kahr CW9 setup. It's a great IWB gun (with 3.5" barrel it's no pocket pistol) and the leather Hume is about as friendly as IWB can get. Depending on dress and the day I can carry mags (2@7, 2@8 extended) in a variety of ways often I toss one in the pocket rather than load up the belt. If I carry the two extended mags with one in the chamber I have 17 rounds on me. Add another 7 mag and I have 24 and 31 if I want my pants to fall down!! I recently shot a BUG gun IDPA match and the Kydex pouches did come in really handy! :D

6921877640_36e78aa19d.jpg

Mingaa,
Where did you get the mag pouches? I am looking for a double like that for my Glock 45's.

Looks like the law abiding citizens of Illinois received a bit of an early Christmas present from the Federal Appeals Court today.....

http://news.yahoo.com/court-strikes-dow ... tsrc=yahoo

The Court has decided that the State Legislature has 180 days to pass and enact a valid CCW program, finally giving the citizens of Illinois the option to protect themselves from the ever increasing crime.

The best part of the article is the fact that the Courts ruling was based on evidence presented that showed that Illinois' restrictive gun laws have had no positive impact on levels of crime, while CCW states have been able to show a decrease.

I'm so happy right now I could shout.......but I think I'll go do some more detailed browsing over on the Kimber website instead. :)

The directness of the ruling was a bit of a surprise LES. I've had several conversations with Representative Phelps the past few years regarding CCW and I know he's looking forward to finally drawing up a bill that he KNOWS will be put into effect.

Guess it is time for me to pick up an assortment of holsters and find what works best for me. I'm 6'5 and 245 so "concealing" a .45 shouldn't be a problem, just have to find something that works well with me spending most of my time driving or sitting.....

Back