• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Re: Knoxx SpecOps Stock w/ Mossberg 500 is at a poor level

Received the ATI Stock Drop Spacer today and put it on tonight. It was easy to put on and helps, but is not great. Still not impressed with this system.

I will take it out and try it in a few weeks. :!:

MossyMilDot said:
I am not sure it is for me either as this POS Knoxx SpecOps Stock is way off :x I am so not impressed with it the Knoxx SpecOps Stock nor the designer. I would have never gotten it if I knew.

I did just ordered the $9.00 part. I will post if it works.

You buy a combat/LEO stock and get butt hurt when it doesn’t work well for shooting clay.....lol. That’s like saying my goose gun sucks for clearing my house
I have a knoxx and have broke a lot of clay with it, right next to the thrower, but the shotgun had a fastfire reflex and the stock complimented it well. None of these AR15 style stocks have a shotgun style comb to them.......so sighting down the receiver is possible but accuracy is not

oli700 said:
MossyMilDot said:
I am not sure it is for me either as this POS Knoxx SpecOps Stock is way off :x I am so not impressed with it the Knoxx SpecOps Stock nor the designer. I would have never gotten it if I knew.

I did just ordered the $9.00 part. I will post if it works.

You buy a combat/LEO stock and get butt hurt when it doesn’t work well for shooting clay.....lol. That’s like saying my goose gun sucks for clearing my house
I have a knoxx and have broke a lot of clay with it, right next to the thrower, but the shotgun had a fastfire reflex and the stock complimented it well. None of these AR15 style stocks have a shotgun style comb to them.......so sighting down the receiver is possible but accuracy is not

When you can't see straight down the barrel that's not "butt hurt" its just very poor design! :shock:

MossyMilDot said:
When you can't see straight down the barrel that's not "butt hurt" its just very poor design! :shock:
For shooting clays, yes it is. I haven’t ran mine in a while and honestly don’t miss it but it is designed to reduce recoil and provide adjustable LOP. In that it is designed well and does exactly what its designers intended it to do.....clay sports was like 37th on the list of priorities when designing the spec ops stock.

oli700 said:
MossyMilDot said:
For shooting clays, yes it is. I haven’t ran mine in a while and honestly don’t miss it but it is designed to reduce recoil and provide adjustable LOP. In that it is designed well and does exactly what its designers intended it to do.....clay sports was like 37th on the list of priorities when designing the spec ops stock.

OK, they did not design it to see level down a 28" Barrel, but even the 18.5" barrel is not really level either. We carried Mossy 500's in Afghanistan with regular stocks and pistol grips (dead space around Hummers only).

I expected Blackhawks stocks would be more universal, but I am wrong.

not for everyone thats for sure.....

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Knoxx MossyMilDot,

It's unfortunate that the stock doesn't meet your needs. I have used the Knoxx on my 590 for the past few years without experiencing any line-of-sight issues. There are others here who have reported the infamous "cheek slap" issue with the Knoxx which again I have not experienced. We know that no two shooters are alike and quite often specs can vary between multiple units in the same product. Either way, a weapon should be tailored for the individual behind it. There are members here with experience behind other recoil reducing stocks that have posted their thoughts and reviews in multiple threads in our 500 and 590 subforums. Our board owner has been very happy with his Phoenix Tech. Kicklite and I'm sure would be glad to offer some feedback if you're interested. If you decide to go in a different direction, feel free to post a for sale ad for your Knoxx in our Marketplace section. I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands. Either way, best of luck getting it sorted out...

I thought Knoxx also has a cheekriser for thier stocks (or am I thinking of another brand?) but that might be an option to correct your line of sight.

Tactical Stock Options

I've been looking around for a tactical stock for a long time for my 500 Persuader. After a lot of reviewing and reading, I settled on this one: http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical-st ... ckage.html.

My question is, as this web page notes at the bottom, the forend is only compatible with shotguns with a removable forend. I can't find anything anywhere about whether the forend is removable or not. Was just wondering if someone could help me out.

Re: Sims LimbSaver Slip-On Recoil Pad on Mossy 500

I like mine, especially shooting 3" 00 buck before and after. The extra LOP I like, as well.

The only nag I have with them is the substance is so grippy it will get caught on all kinds of stuff.

Re: Sims LimbSaver Slip-On Recoil Pad on Mossy 500

thorgodofthunder said:
I like mine, especially shooting 3" 00 buck before and after. The extra LOP I like, as well.

The only nag I have with them is the substance is so grippy it will get caught on all kinds of stuff.

I agree that substance is way over grippy :eek:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Knoxx MossyMilDot,

It's unfortunate that the stock doesn't meet your needs. I have used the Knoxx on my 590 for the past few years without experiencing any line-of-sight issues. There are others here who have reported the infamous "cheek slap" issue with the Knoxx which again I have not experienced. We know that no two shooters are alike and quite often specs can vary between multiple units in the same product. Either way, a weapon should be tailored for the individual behind it. There are members here with experience behind other recoil reducing stocks that have posted their thoughts and reviews in multiple threads in our 500 and 590 subforums. Our board owner has been very happy with his Phoenix Tech. Kicklite and I'm sure would be glad to offer some feedback if you're interested. If you decide to go in a different direction, feel free to post a for sale ad for your Knoxx in our Marketplace section. I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands. Either way, best of luck getting it sorted out...

With this new spacer I want to give it a honest tryout with buck, slugs, and trap shooting to see if its me or it. I hope to keep it.

Re: Tactical Stock Options

Some Mossberg forends are held on using pins through the action bars. You would be able to see the pins from the side of the forend. This type of forend is not easily replaced.

If your forend has a slide tube assembly held on by a barrel nut, then you're good to go...

This pictures shows a pinned forend (looking at the rear of the forend toward the receiver)
Maverick88forearm.jpg

This one shows a forend with an action slide tube and a tube nut that is clearly visible at the front of the forend.
Mossberg_500_forend_nut.jpg

Then of course you have to worry about the action slide tube length :D
mossbergforendvariation.jpg

Hope this helps!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pinned forend is most commonly found on the Maverick 88, whereas the action slide tube should come standard on the 500's and 590's (although i've seen reports of pinned forends on 500's)

The most common slide tube length will be the 7 5/8th but it would be easiest just to take off the forend and measure the tube, better safe then wasting money.

The drop comb spacer should help a lot when sighting down the receiver. I thought they even had different ones to choose from like some steeper angles. Just got to get it close to the original drop and you will be happy

Thanks for posting the pics AK!

Many of the newer model 500s are coming with pinned forends. If you ask me it's Mossberg's subtle way of trying to limit folk's options and push them into the Flex system...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks for posting the pics AK!

Many of the newer model 500s are coming with pinned forends. If you ask me it's Mossberg's subtle way of trying to limit folk's options and push them into the Flex system...

Well can we blame them for wanting to make more money? But on the flip side, I think having options is a big selling point for me. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to have the choice of a forend/ stock. Just my $0.02.

No problem Matt, hope you find something that works well for ya... I should be getting my Hogue 12 LOP in the mail today!

Back