• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: original mossberg 500 fiber optics

OK, good luck with your local shop.

Either way, I'll have a free rear sight that fits your gun in about a week...

Re: Can I shoot Flares

I have shot the dragon's breath shells from the link above, and they are labeled for flare use. However anything it touches will burn including wet grass & metal, and asphalt. I think they have a high magnesium content. So there is that to consider. Don't want to be starting forest fires!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
OK, good luck with your local shop.

Either way, I'll have a free rear sight that fits your gun in about a week...

I had the answer from the local shop here in Greece today and unfortunately they can't order me the sight. So i will be waiting for your "call" when you receive the sight. Until then i will try to think of a way to pay you (maybe with bank transfer or paypal)

Payment not necessary.

The sight didn't cost me a thing. I'll let you know when I have it in my posession...

chamber size

is there a way to tell if my 1989 mossberg 500A 20" is a 2/3/4" or 3" chamber? also what is the difference between a 2 3/4 shell and a 3" ? TY

Re: chamber size

Hello Mr. Mossy,

Your 500A is chambered for both 2-3/4" and 3" shells. The 3" shells will have a bit more power which can be desireable for certain sporting applications...

LES got the basics, more precisely:

Bigger Number = Larger Shell (Length)
Larger Shell = Bigger Pay Load :)
Bigger Pay Load = Better chance to hit target at distance or heavier slug.

However, some longer shells have smaller loads and more powder to make "High Velocity" rounds
Best example is the Remington 3" HV Slugger.. it is a 3" shell with a 3/4 ounce slug and it goes 1800fps... That is versus the 2-3/4" Slugger... 2-3/4" shell, with 1 ounce slug and it moves at 1500fps...

Just some extra stuff to make me feel good about myself ;)

old mossy said:
thank you.

BE CAREFUL!
Your barrel has to be able to accept Both 2 3/4 and 3" The barrel will be roll marked with that info
I recently bought an older used barrel that is marked with 2 3/4 and says NOTHING about 3". I will not be shooting 3" shells through it.

If it is the Factory barrel and every barrel made for that gun is chambered for both than no need to worry :p

That is one of those "All Else Being Equal" things you know :p

Anyone know when the last time a shotgun maker made a model that specifically DIDN'T accept 3" shells. I thought that all shotguns had been more or less 3" chambered for quite a while.

Corelogik said:
Anyone know when the last time a shotgun maker made a model that specifically DIDN'T accept 3" shells. I thought that all shotguns had been more or less 3" chambered for quite a while.

All Remington 1100's are chambered for 2 3/4 only.

LTB45 said:
Corelogik said:

See, I did not know that. Good info to keep in mind. I've never really been an auto guy though so guess that's why I didn't know that. :thumbs up:

Corelogik said:
LTB45 said:
Corelogik said:

See, I did not know that. Good info to keep in mind. I've never really been an auto guy though so guess that's why I didn't know that. :thumbs up:

This shows us that people have been and still are killing things (Feathered, Furred, and Clay)
with 2 3/4" shells just fine for a Hell of a long time. :shock:

The barrel that I bought recently that only takes 2 3/4" shells sits on one of my hunting 500's and has done just fine killing Feathers and Clays. :cool:

2-3/4 is plenty of bang for most all applications. It is just that the 3" gives us .25" of extra bragging rights for us Macho Men ;)

3" sounds so much longer than 2-3/4 when you don't subtract haha

Hey greekpow,

The replacement unit from Mossberg arrived today. Is this what you're looking for?

If so, PM me with your mailing address and I'll get it sent out as soon as I'm able...

that was a big dissapoitnent. Unfortunately this is not the right sight. Mine was smaller and it has 2 little screws on the top of the shotgun.Maybe i will loose the front sight too, and buy a new set.
Anyway i want to thank you very much for your kindness. Its unbelieveable what you did for someone you don't know. i really appreciate that.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Hey greekpow,

The replacement unit from Mossberg arrived today. Is this what you're looking for?

If so, PM me with your mailing address and I'll get it sent out as soon as I'm able...

Sorry about that greekpow,

It may not be the exact sight you had, but it should fit on your vent rib with no issues. I can still send it if you'd like to try it out. Otherwise, I'll do some more digging and see what I can come up with...

sights

i hope im in the correct section. id like to add ghost ring sights on my mossy 500A 20". the receiver is not taped. has anyone used anything like JB wield to install sights,or im i waisting my time and just go to a gum smitty? TY

Back