• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best value 500 tactical mods

skeedo

Copper BB
Hello everyone. I plan on picking up a 500 tomorrow, and the primary use of the gun will be for home defense. I'm looking for best value tactical mods and hoping I can get some recommendations as I've never modded a shotgun before.

I'm interested in a triple/quad rail, laser/light combo, tactical forend, backup sights, side shell holder, and a folding stock.

I'm thinking about the Black aces quad rail http://www.vortexdefense.com/Mossberg_5 ... p/rb7m.htm. Very nice looking, can anybody provide feedback on this?

Interested in the UTG laser light combo here: http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Tactical-LED- ... H8KWUDM5UL. Seems like a good laser light combo for the price.

I haven't done much looking around for the rest. I imagine locating a side shell holder shouldn't be too difficult. I'd like to know my options for some sweet backup sights, a secure grip forend, and a folding stock that I would prefer to be top folding as I'm not interested in a scope.

Any help with choosing these mods will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

First, Welcome to Mossberg Owners! Great Group of Guys and Gals here!
Everyone is more than willing to help and a lot of us have experience with the same situation you are in so I am sure this will pick up some momentum in the future.

Might I say, personally that if you are going to use this setup as an HD/SD shotgun, K.I.S.S. works out the best and seems to be what everyone goes too.

I used to have my shotgun tac'd out but in the end, through shooting and practicing it became obvious that Simple is Smart! I have since sold all my stuff and put the traditional stock back on it with a Hogue Forend.

Now I can also personally recommend:

Mesa Tactical LEO Adapter
Mesa Tactical 6 Shot Side Saddle
Magpul EVERYTHING
Phoenix Industries ERGO Tri-rail Forend
Hogue Over-molded Products

I would not recommend the Black ACES quad rail simply out of bulkiness. But if this is just a tactical build for something to shoot at the range, GO FOR IT! I have had a full length rail and I also got rid of that lol Anything else??

Itsricmo said:
First, Welcome to Mossberg Owners! Great Group of Guys and Gals here!
Everyone is more than willing to help and a lot of us have experience with the same situation you are in so I am sure this will pick up some momentum in the future.

Might I say, personally that if you are going to use this setup as an HD/SD shotgun, K.I.S.S. works out the best and seems to be what everyone goes too.

I used to have my shotgun tac'd out but in the end, through shooting and practicing it became obvious that Simple is Smart! I have since sold all my stuff and put the traditional stock back on it with a Hogue Forend.

Now I can also personally recommend:

Mesa Tactical LEO Adapter
Mesa Tactical 6 Shot Side Saddle
Magpul EVERYTHING
Phoenix Industries ERGO Tri-rail Forend
Hogue Over-molded Products

I would not recommend the Black ACES quad rail simply out of bulkiness. But if this is just a tactical build for something to shoot at the range, GO FOR IT! I have had a full length rail and I also got rid of that lol Anything else??

+1 keep it simple. My take is for HD bead is the easiest and fastest to get target acquistion.

I just finished my HD shotgun mods a few weeks ago and I can tell you the KISS method was the one I chose and was darn glad I did. When the lights went out during Sandy I felt prepared and ready with all the range time I put in prior.

Here's the thread I started on my build to see the final pics:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5209

Hope it helps,

Water Monkey

I did miss the topic of BUIS. Nothing will ever compare to a bead sight on a shotgun. It is just naturally efficient and useful and probably the best BUIS for a shotgun

Hogues 12"LOP stock, replace the safety, and some training. Then you can add things for looks. Stilling waiting on the parts to finish mine.

I'll be straight and to the point.

Folding stocks suck. Period. Put your face on one when firing a 1600-fps slug and you'll start hating life.

Unless you have fully-potted components in a light it can fail on you from repeated recoil.

Maybe a Hogue 12" LOP stock. That's about it for parts.

Invest in as much good ammo as the "dreamed for" accessories would have cost.

Then train with your shotgun until you know your gun like your tongue knows your teeth.

Ok, I picked up a brand new 500 today. I was hoping it would have the traditional coil ring style forend, because they are pretty decent and I don't want to have to go through having to replace forend after all the horror stories I've heard. It doesn't have the traditional forend however, and it looks terrible not to mention barely any grip so I'm going to have to replace it.

Thing is, the factory forend doesn't have a slide tube, and I'm reading that you need the slide tube to replace the forend. Can I purchase an aftermarket forend that will include the slide tube, or do I have to contact Mossberg to buy the traditional style forend that includes the slide tube and swap that out? :?

Sorry to tell you but yes,

You'll need to purchase a slide tube assembly and then you'll be able to install any forend you'd like...

Havlin sales 636-937-6401

You are looking for a 7 5/8” action slide tube and a synthetic ribbed forend to go with it. You should get out of it for less than 75 bucks

oli700 said:
Havlin sales 636-937-6401

You are looking for a 7 5/8” action slide tube and a synthetic ribbed forend to go with it. You should get out of it for less than 75 bucks

+1 and they ship quickly!

Thanks, I will be ordering one soon. I'm kinda kickin myself in the ass for not buyin the 500 JIC model that comes with the traditional forend. I believe it was only like $60 more and would have saved me the hassle of having to order and install a new forend with the slide tube. Thankfully I found a decent youtube video showing the forend replacement process so I shouldn't be wracking my brain too hard.

Here's my next dilemma. I want a stock for when I shoot the gun. I need the gun to be pistol grip only for HD because my apartment has very limited space, if SHTF I can't be swingin around a full sized shottie. This is why I wanted to go with a folding stock, however if they suck as much as nitesite has indicated I don't want to bother.

It surprises me that no manufacturers make a stock that is easily interchangeable between full and pistol grip. Don't want to have to go through the hassle of swapping out stock with pistol grip everytime I go to the range. Anymore suggestions?

Well that depends on you. You might be fine with a folding stock. If you don’t intend to shoot it all the time and just put it away until a SHTF scenario then a folding stock might be ok for you. If it is truly a stash gun then a folding stock could make since, and since your just shooting it when you have to then you can easily just suck it up and deal with the crappy ergonomics of most folding stocks. I have a butler creek folding wire stock on a mini 14 I love but I am pretty sure I wouldn’t love one on a 12 gauge. But if you were considering a JIC then you would be better off with a folder in my opinion because you just gave yourself an option and options are always good, especially when it come to aiming and since nothing comes without a trade off you can find some positives about a folder if you try

I'm sticking with K.I.S.S. lol Folders are nice, and neat looking but hurt with slugs or high powered buck IMHO

There is one I don't often see! A Vent Rib :eek:
There are a lot, and I mean A LOT of sight options for Vent Ribbed Barrels, I wonder if there is a snap-on vent rib for the 18.5" :D bwah haha

Hi Skeedo! Which way have you gone with this thus far? Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

A pondering? You said you only need the stock for when you shoot at the range? Was the folder intended only for storage purposes? You also said you didn't want a stock on there should you ever need it goin through the house. I bring up these points because if you don't plan on usin a stock when somethin goes bump in the night, I wouldn't practice shootin with a stock at all cuz if you do ever need it you're essentially grabbin a firearm to defend your self (and family?) you've never fired. Am I understanding correctly?

I'm not gonna say a pistol grip can't be used effectively, but a shotgun with a stock I feel can be used much more effectivley. I also wouldn't feel disadvataged by havin a stock on a gun you intend to use as a house gun. I don't know if its weird to practice "clearing" your own home, but I do it anyway and I've practiced with each of my firearms. Only one has a 12" LOP Hogue stock, while others still have 14" full length stocks, one 24" barrel, one 28" barrel, and a couple adjustable stocks. (Those longer barrels are vent rib barrels)

I guess what I'm sayin is, if you want a pistol grip for storage reasons, get a pistol grip and practice with what you're gonna use, other wise id use a stock and check out how it can be used goin through a house. There are ways to use the stock indoors that makes sense.

I couldn't tell ya about full length rails and stuff, but id venture to say Magpul MBUS would be some decent sights, I have the rear MBUS on my rifle and can't fault it at all.

Man, I otherwise gotta go with NiteSite here, buy ammo and shoot a bunch, add or change based on the dynamics and how it feels. Just my suggestions and thoughts.

I def think it sounds like a sweet lookin build though! Just that if its solely for HD, you may find yourself better served with a simpler gun. More stuff can mean more complicated.

In the end its your goat and you're the only one who has to feed it, dress it up however you want! ;)

Being new to this as well I say go to the range. Some might not allow pistol grip only so call around before you commit to buying. It would suck to not have a range to practice at. That being said go shoot it before buying any accessories. You will get a better understanding of what you'll want after a few rounds, I know I did.

Be safe and welcome to the addiction.

Back