• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

KaBar / Becker

And here we go with a few passes of cold bluing ( I used Birchwood)

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_00641.jpg

DSC_00651.jpg

Here it is put back together. I sharpened the edge (which I'm not the best at :oops: any suggestions?) and chopped on that block of wood a few times. Looks like the bluing will wear a bit. I don't know if that because I didn't give it time to cure longer... It darkened a lot when I let it sit overnight coated in oil. The beauty is... I can always strip it and try something else.... maybe an acid wash??? Or the mustard trick :shock: Anyhow, I will be either carving my own wood scales or buying some micarta ones, well see. Pretty happy so far though :D

Thanks guys! You know, for an evening of work, I really liked the way it turned out. Does anyone know of a good place for micarta handles? I'm still contemplating making my own... but I SUCK... I mean SUCK at wood work :D. I'm guessing at a minimum I'd need a band saw and some files... neither of which are in my tool box, go figure :lol:

http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/4.htm
^^Handle material

http://www.knifeandgun.com/
^^lots of different stuff

http://www.northcoastknives.com/northco ... pplies.htm
^^good selection of material at good prices.

Howdy...here I am. :ugeek:

Ok...so what hand tools, power tools do you actually own?
If you're going to do it by hand, you will need at least these....
A few Files... flat file, half round file, bastard file.
A coping saw and some extra blades.
Sandpaper...grit #'s 80, 100, 150, 220, 320 ( if you want to go for gleamingly smooth just go with higher numbered grit. They go up 12000...that's for crazy looking wood, finished coat sanding)
Drill and drill bits
Vise mounted to bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQm7YToDSpc
^^this video is slow going, but it deals with using just the tools listed above. which is how I started out...
you just need to see how he cuts the scales out with a coping saw. (3:22-6:00) If you want you can put it in a vise to hold it instead of on the table and holding it with your hand....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyF8LVpS5pk
^^ this guy has 4 vids of how to...he uses power tools but if you have any mechanical brains you'll know how to use the hand tool in place of power. (drill, sander, saw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxwhNWR ... el&list=UL
^^skip to 1:47 in the video...it shows how to attach the scales with epoxy and pins. you don't need to be as messy as this guy is to get a good glue up on it....also instead of pins, you can use the existing screws you have already.
where he uses the power sander, you can use the files to do the same thing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... ifNK4&NR=1
^^4:10 in this part, it shows the process of filing the handle....

The filing is going to be the tedious part....it's where you shape it into what you want.

What kind of wood do you want to use? I have a boat load of it. Crazy beautiful stuff and plain jane solid colors and everything in between.
let me know if you want something special or plain and i'll check to see what I have... :)

Process....
#1...Safety!! Put some cardboard over your blade (Like a sheath) and tape it up with duct tape. that way you can handle the knife and not get sliced....

ok..now the fun part....

Trace out handle shape onto wood. (or you may trace the knife tang and make the new handles the same size as it.)

Cut the 2 pieces of wood to roughly the shape as existing handles.

Glue the handle to tang with epoxy (and use something other than your screws to attach the wood to the tang for this step. Like a double head duplex nail like they use on concrete forms... so you can remove the nail after,(so you can sand) then install your screws. This way the screws do not get all glued up.)
You can wrap them in wax paper and clamp them in the vise or use C-clamps. The wax paper keep the clamps or vise from getting stuck to the wood after the glue up with epoxy.

Let the glue cure for about 24hrs to be safe...

Sand/ file the wood to shape. use the low number sandpaper then work your way up in grit...if you find when you start sanding that the low grit makes too much scratches, go up a grit...

File or sand it....smooth....use a block of wood to fit your hand as a sanding block, or something else flat and rigid for the rougher low number grit. (80-150) then you can get a piece of rubber or something to use on the finer higher number grits (220 and up) or just use you fingers. :roll:

Finished? ok...depending on what you want to do with your knife depends on the finish.

Keeping it outside, using it daily outside? use some polyurethane...

occasional use? tung oil.

just for looks? wax....

cheers...and keep us posted.
let me know if you want some crazy wood.....i have stabilized stuff too...

Umm, I don't know what to say... thanks so much for all the info! of course now I'll need to go out and go some of those tools, but i've always liked accumulating more! I'll try to post my progress and I'll hit you up ripjack if I get stuck... if that's alright of course! :D

No problem...any questions let me know. I'm following this topic, so I'll see the new posts.

Thanx for the bump SNIPER !!

Oh...another tool. If you get files you will want to get a file card with or with out a brush on it. That's for cleaning out the files when they get filled with glue or wood, or sap.

http://www.toolup.com/weiler_44260_file ... 4AodA0YARA

It's like a wire brush, but you use it on the push stroke. Not back and forth like a wire brush.

So I looked through my toolbox, looks like i've got some of the basics... at least some files and sand paper :lol: . Now I'll need to find a coping saw (hopefully it doens't cost me my left arm up here) but ripjack...if you have some extra wood laying around I'd be more than happy to get with you for shipping it up here. I don't even know where to start... I know I use this knife alot... and often in wet and crappy weather so I'm looking for something simple yet rugged enough to withstand the elements. I'm also thinking about some checkering...which I might attempt with a dremmel :shock: (maybe I'll practice on a 2x4 before I do this)

I'll check my stash for something. Any particular color you like?

Those files you have probably aren't for wood. I bet they are for metal. Fine tooth files are for metal.

$5 flat rate boxes I think can be shipped to AK for $5....I'll check with my Post Office..
When I get home I'll take a look at my wood stash...

yeah...without delivery confirmation etc it should be around 5 bucks for a small flat rate... nest step is $10 something. After a lookover of my files they're definitely for metal. Guess it's a trip to the hardware store for me. I'm excited about this project! Wood working has always been the red-headed step child of my man skills... whenever it doesn't turn out the way I want it to... I chuck it angrily in a corner :lol: Guess it's time to mend our relationship.

lL4fr.jpg

^^ Stabilized Birds eye California Redwood
146Od.jpg

^^ Stabilized Walnut
FTdqU.jpg

^^ Stabilized Afzalia Burl (Austrailia)
sqE7d.jpg

^^ Purpleheart
ZSvwa.jpg

^^ Bamboo
V2HOi.jpg

^^ Bamboo
JSJDc.jpg

^^ Ipe (eee-pay) It's like Teak...they use it for building decks.
Jayxo.jpg

^^ Osage Orange This is a really hard wood....

I need to know what the length of your handle is, that will determine if you can use the Walnut and Afzalia. The walnut's only 5-1/2" long and the Afzalia is just a little longer. The rest is long enough to make whatever size you need.

Since this is your first outing with wood handles, I would suggest the Ipe. It will last a long time outside and it's easy to work with, as well as inexpensive, so I can send you extra...just in case :oops:
Or the Osage Orange....they both take stain very well and finish nice....

And I have plenty....

Let me know.....

Looks like the scales are about 5.5" long, 2" wide and about .5" deep. And since I'm starting out I think I'd go with the Ipe. I'll let ya know how my tool search goes on the island, if not I'll be placing an order online :D Sorry this won't be a quick process, but hopefully the results will speak for it!

Pm me your address and I'll see if I can cut up the ipe this week and send it out...

I sent the wood along with the hat to ya, and an extra piece just in case you want to do another one. I suggest if you cut the ipe length wise to use a band saw and go slow,letting the blade cut at it's own pace. It might smoke a little at first, (my smoke alarm went off when I cut it :oops: ) It sands up nice and smooth on my belt sander. It's great looking when it's all shiny too!! enjoy!! and please don't hesitate to ask me anything about it or the process.

Back