• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Re: Knoxx SpecOps Stock w/ Mossberg 500 is at a poor level

oli700 said:
The drop comb spacer should help a lot when sighting down the receiver. I thought they even had different ones to choose from like some steeper angles. Just got to get it close to the original drop and you will be happy

Did not know they made different spacers. This spacer is the one that the company sent me to the link above.

Re: Sims LimbSaver Slip-On Recoil Pad on Mossy 500

I just want to repeat I love this thing...went thru 30 3" shells today, slugs and turkey loads. not even a red mark on my shoulder! I also tried it on my .308, put 40 rounds through it as well. Highly recommended!

Hi,
Need some advice on a stock.
Bought a Moss 500 w/pistol grip and regular stock, 18" barrel - all new as a "Kit".
Bought some Dixie Slugs for dangerous game - 870 gn of hardcast lead.
The owner warned me these are a handful in a pistol grip. So I bought a Hogue Tamer pistol grip - supposed to help with recoil. I fired one round of the Dixie Slug - msy wrist was sore for 4 weeks.
I handle recoil pretty well - I shoot a few 340 gn +P+P Buffalo Bores in my Ruger Alaskan.

I plan on carrying my Moss in Alaska for big bear protection while fishing. I'll carry it in a scabbard on my back or chest.
So my question is which would be best shortest fastest handling stock to buy?
(I've read all the pros and cons about bear protection, but I figure at least if I have a decent firearm I have a little better chance.)

I'm planning on driving up so taking my Ruger is not a good option. Hard to transport a handgun through Canada.

thanks

Re: Tactical Stock Options

If your shotgun doesn't have the removable foreend, Midway sells a tube and nut for Mossbergs.

Apparently as of 2008, some (most?) Mossbergs have the pinned style action bars like the Maverick did/does. I think this is a mistake on Mossbergs part. However they will do what they will do. Since replacement tubes and nuts are available. This is the last part I need to upgrade on my Mav88. I like having options.

870 grain?!?! I AM MISSING OUT ON SOMETHING HERE!!! Sir, would please PM me the link to those! :D<3

First off other than my excitement for that large of a slug: WELCOME!!
Second... Pistol Grip + Slug = NO... haha plain and simple. If you are looking for a compact, short, small, etc... I would recommend a Hogue 12" (various suppliers online) or a Hogue 13" from Aimpro Tactical.

Umm... what else.. Oh yeah! If this slug is as big as I think it is... get a 12" Hogue and a Slip-on Recoil Pad!! :D

Itsricmo said:
870 grain?!?! I AM MISSING OUT ON SOMETHING HERE!!! Sir, would please PM me the link to those! :D<3

First off other than my excitement for that large of a slug: WELCOME!!
Second... Pistol Grip + Slug = NO... haha plain and simple. If you are looking for a compact, short, small, etc... I would recommend a Hogue 12" (various suppliers online) or a Hogue 13" from Aimpro Tactical.

Umm... what else.. Oh yeah! If this slug is as big as I think it is... get a 12" Hogue and a Slip-on Recoil Pad!! :D

Mr. Itsricmo,
I don't see an option to PM - or I'm just a little ignorant.
But the web site is http://www.dixieslugs.com
The owner is a cool guy - the real deal, he knows his stuff. He said these are designed for Dangerous Game.
Yup 870 gn slug - that's almost two ounces!
They are located in Old Town, Florida.
Note the warning -- shoot these in Cylinder Chokes only.

I'll look at the Hogue 12" stock -- I'm concerned about being able to get the gun into action quickly is why I was planning on the pistol grip. But I'm not shooting these with a pistol grip again. These are potent.
The one I fired was into a 8" diameter birch tree - it didn't shoot through, but neither did my 340 gn Buffalo Bore 44 mag.
I should have cut the tree down to see how far it did penetrate.
Let me know what you think. I think the Brenneke slugs have some almost that heavy.
Charlie

That is AWESOME! haha I have an Improved Cylinder choke tube.. humph. I shall shoot this feller an email and gain some wisdom of his as too whether that would be alright! :D
That is a Huge Slug lol.. I gotta do it just because I want too <3

As for the 12", it will get into action plenty fast! However, I can deploy my shotgun just as quick with a little training. However, if you have it in a pack or scabbard it may be different. It will ultimately come down to being familiar with your setup, rig and training

Hogue is one of the best short stocks. I just put many round down range on my new built with this stock. If you need quick deployment a signal point sling would be best. Might not be great to fish with though.

Carrying the Moss 500 is not the easiest set up for fishing. My Ruger Alaskan is pretty comfortable to carry in a chest holster.

But driving through Canada with a handgun is a problem.
thanks

Looking into two different options for stocks. The Blackhawk SpecOps Gen2 adjustable with Knoxx recoil reduction or the new ATI Talon Tactical 6 position w/ Scorpion Pad.

I have reasons for both so far, but only one unanswered question:

Where is the Blackhawk products made? USA or a different country? Does anyone know?

It is not mentioned on their website, Amazon, other sellers, etc. If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, Blackhawk usually turns out quality stuff.

I run the Gen 1 SpecOps on my 590 with zero issues. It's a great stock and does an excellent job with recoil reduction. I'd recommend the first gen models to anyone, but the Gen 2 models have been a huge disappointment...

Blackhawk Slings are AWESOME!
I just got to use a friends Breacher Pistol Grip yesterday and I can say they help A LOT!

Bird Head Grip

im looking to make a woody bird head grip for my 500a. just wondering if there are any do's and don't's. any input would be appreciated. TY

Re: Bird Head Grip

I have seen a few, not here, but on other forums. I was contemplating the same thing, but I don't like the bird head style once I tried it out. It may be easier to purchase one from Speed Feed in all honesty :p

Here is a quick link that turned up in a google search.
I have no affiliation with the company or persons owning the company.
I do not receive any credit or compensation for forwarding this website link.
^^ Just a Disclaimer, I got kicked from Shotgunworld a little while ago because a Mod thought I was "promoting" a website for self gain........ Still never got it sorted out, don't really care too.

Anyhow, here you go! There may be cheaper but this is the first to show up
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

thank you for the heads up. they sell a nice plastic one. i want it in "old style" wood. im going to make one from an old woody stock.

Roger on the wood! I was not aware of that :p
Best of luck! Someone may have a printable template for you to jigsaw around the stock or something
Google and some spare time may prove useful to you

Back