• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

10mm reloading

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I've read some about reloading 10mm and of course I didn’t get far before I started getting into the whole unsupported/loose chamber of the 20/29 and the Colt Delta. Is there a problem if one stays in load data range ?

A lot of variation in .400 projectiles……. I see the common weights look like 165,180 and 200 gr. I am looking for all around use so I am thinking the 180 would probably be a good starting place. There are some Hornady XTP 180gr hollow points at Midway for $20 for 100.....cheaper than any of the FMJ they offer. Any insight on these bullets or 180 vs 200 gr would help, woods duty, some walking my dog at night.

Brass......I have none for this. They have Starline 100/$18 at Midway, has good reviews. Anyone object to Starline due to bad experience.

Powder....considering IMR 800x because I have seen SG loads I wanted to try using it. But I have some HS6,Blue Dot, accurate #5 now.....I read the blue dot and 800x work good. What do you use......Dave lol

Hi, oli~

I have to keep this short right now but let me answer a few of your questions.

I prefer 180-gr over any other weight. I don't even bother with lighter weights.

800-X gives 180 and 200 gr bullets real full potential velocities and does it safely, but it meters like corn flakes and no two dropped charges are close to one another. The only way to consistently load it is to individually weigh each charge.

Personally, I think Accurate #9 is best overall. It meters like a dream, is low flash, fills the case well, and gives good velocities. It takes an extra grain or two of powder per round than some more economical choices (Blue Dot, etc) but it's only a penny or two extra per round. I don't try to save money by the powders I select.

Accurate #7 is also great for the same reasons but probably cuts top end velocities by maybe 5%-10% because it is slightly faster. I use #7 for both 9mm and 10mm with very satisfactory results.

Hornady XTP bullets are scary accurate in almost any gun and they are great woods walking hollow points that drive deep on larger or tougher animals. If I were faced with a mountain lion or attacking wild dog/pit bull I would want XTPs or 200-gr hard cast to blow clear thru both sides.

No better 10mm brass than Starline, except maybe Lapua. My "good" 10mm handloads are done up in once or twice-fired Starline sorted cases. Good case wall thickness in the web area.

Gotta go for now. Hope you find a G29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, if Midway has new Starline for $18/100 you better get some RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

THANKS A TON......selling the Contender in early December, that’s funding the 29,one 15 round mag with the grip extender thing and reloading components.

Think I’ll try a alee carbide die set

oli700 said:
THANKS A TON......selling the Contender in early December, that’s funding the 29,one 15 round mag with the grip extender thing and reloading components.

Think I’ll try a alee carbide die set

I use the Lee die set as well. :D

sweet !, two more questions and I'll leave you alone....,

Do you use plated or cast with your 29 or do you stick with jacketed ?

Taper crimp right ?

+1 on the XTP. I don't load 10 but grab them on sale- 124 for SD 9 and 155 for SD 40 - the Lee dies have worked great for me (40 is the same set as 10). I'm currently using Tight Group in SD and continue to fiddle with competition rounds with 147 and 180 and WSF is part of that equation. Lee taper crimp on all. The XTP take less than the Montana Gold I'm using for comp. they seem to need some perfect knife edge crimp - just enough to stay in place, not too tight - chrono is good, accuracy is still wanting.

oli700 said:
sweet !, two more questions and I'll leave you alone....,

Do you use plated or cast with your 29 or do you stick with jacketed ?

Taper crimp right ?

Leave me alone???? What the hell.... you kidding me? This is FUN!

I've loaded X-Treme plated before and they're fine for general purpose plinking rounds kept under 1100-fps or so. Careful not to taper crimp too much (and never roll crimp) or the tight case mouth will cut thru the relatively thin plating and cause some stripping off of the copper as it leaves the casing.

I find that "on sale" jacketeds are priced right about at what plated bullets have currently "price stabilized" so I usually just get Hornadys. Or Zero Bullet 180s.

The Hard Cast Flat Nose "Gas Checked" 200s are just fine in my GLOCK barrel but only because of the non-fouling copper gas check on the base. Great woods walking bullets. They will penetrate and blow a hole like no tomorrow! I avoid lead-only bullets in my factory GLOCK barrels.

One more thing. If you don't wish to try Accurate #9 then try Longshot. Meters really well, gets you to very near full-power with lower pressures. Does cause a fairly big muzzle blast if that's what you can deal with, but its a real good powder. Some Ten Shooters call it "LoudShot".

mingaa said:
+1 on the XTP. Smart choice, mingaa. I don't load 10 but grab them on sale- 124 for SD 9 and 155 for SD 40 - the Lee dies have worked great for me (40 is the same set as 10). I'm currently using Tight Group in SD and continue to fiddle with competition rounds with 147 and 180 and WSF is part of that equation. mingaa, if I had to choose I'd pick 147s for 9mm and 180s for 10mm; and WSF is a good powder for both especially the 9mm. Lee taper crimp on all. The XTP take less than the Montana Gold I'm using for comp. they seem to need some perfect knife edge crimp - just enough to stay in place, not too tight - chrono is good, accuracy is still wanting.

+1 Rep for you buddy!

nitesite said:
One more thing. If you don't wish to try Accurate #9 then try Longshot. Meters really well, gets you to very near full-power with lower pressures. Does cause a fairly big muzzle blast if that's what you can deal with, but its a real good powder. Some Ten Shooters call it "LoudShot".
I do wish to try #9......I also have a ton of Blue Dot for 12g loads., I have found a load for BD on their website for 11gr pushing a 180 Gold Dot at 1250fps.....do you like BD for cartridge loading at all, it’s awesome for shotgun

Thanks Nitesite - I don't want to jack the thread but sharing info can't hurt it much, eh?

My reloading goals - some met, some still being refined:
- SD 9, 124 XTP hot load (TG)
- Comp 9 (just making minor 125 PF floor), 147 Montana Gold FMJ, (WSF, think accuracy issue is crimp. it takes a lot to keep the MG bullets in place)
- SD 40, 155 XTP hot load (TG)
- Comp load, 180 Montana Gold FMJ (making major PF 165+) (TG & WSF both work, WSF smoother across the board)

I'm loading some this PM for a trip tomorrow AND my first 223 will go as well, loading 2230 - but that's another story.

Blue Dot has long been a very popular 10mm powder for reloaders, though I've never bought any to try. If you have some you should certainly try it!

Let me know when you are within a few days of getting that 29, oli..........

nitesite said:
Blue Dot has long been a very popular 10mm powder for reloaders, though I've never bought any to try. If you have some you should certainly try it!
I'll do that, here is the only Data from the Alliant web sight
OAL 1.25” CCI 300 Primer 11 Gr of Blue Dot 180gr Gold Dot HP 1295fps

nitesite said:
Let me know when you are within a few days of getting that 29, oli..........
OK, I am putting 100 on one today to secure it so it dosent end up in some dooms dayer sock drawer lol

Just curious, mingaa....

Do you have any Unique or Accurate #7 to experiment with?

I think your SD loads would greatly benefit by at least trying Unique or AA7 in your 9mm and forty.

Best,

Dave

It starts
IMG_1068.jpg

Remember, if you don't yet want to try AA9 you can get really good results with AA7 plus AA7 makes a terrific 9mm powder for 124- and 147-gr bullets for your CZ!

Back