• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which powder for 338 Win Mag?

Gary Murray

.270 WIN
I just started reloading and i am still trying to find that perfect recipe for my 338 Win Mag. I use IMR 4350 powder. However, others are telling me i should switch to a slower burning powder for my caliber such as IMR 4831. Any suggestions as to which way i should go? I know it's a tough call since everything involved from the bullets down to the primer play an important part. Just wondering what powder would be better if anyone here has tried both in the same gun that they have.

I know this is an old thread, but I've been having some success with reloader-19 powder. I think 71.8 grains with a 225 grain bullet but I'd have to check on that to know for sure.

Same here. RL-19 for the 338 with 200-225 grain bullets. Sometimes RL-22 is a bit better with the 250s. Nowadays, I prefer H4350 to IMR 4350.

I agree that H4350 does meter much better than the IMR version. I think 257 Shooter was merely commenting on the better of the two 4350s, not that 4350 is recommended for best performance in the .338 Winnie.

Good advice, fellas!

Back