• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bug-out Bags (BOB)

Re: BoB Gun suggestion

The AR-7 is a sweet rifle, the only issues I've seen with it is the barrel is completely exposed as there is no fore end. That's kind of a deal breaker for me, as my young daughters would be shooting it as well. I know a .22 doesn't get that hot, but any time i am camping, or hiking away from civilization, i always put safety first. Plus the 10/22 comes with 25 round mags. In a self defense situation, the .22 isn't ideal, but 25 rounds from anything will surely deter any attacker.

I recently picked up a 10/22 to help get my kids started. I wanted something with low recoil/noise and liked the magazine availability so they can get use to using them. I picked the all weather s/s with synthetic stock which would be great for camping or extended time outdoors. If you want the portability, the breakdown model would be a great choice.

I started my daughters out with a 5.56 AR-15 when they were 3 and 6. A bipod and a picnic table, they took to it like a duck to water, down to the commands i would call out that we use at the range, people looked at me like i was crazy to let them shoot it, but with the upgrades I have theres barely a kick really.

I started my daughters out with a 5.56 AR-15 when they were 3 and 6.

That's awesome. I remember shooting some deer hunting calibers when I was that age with help from my Dad or Uncle.

If you get the 10/22 breakdown let us know what you think of it.

Another option for a BoB might be a Ruger Charger. Best of both worlds,10/22 action but w/10" bbl and comes with bipod which can be removed with 1 screw. It is easily as accurate as my regular 10/22.

I'd never thought about a charger in that light, but you're absolutely right.

Great pics OP.

You have a great BOB set up. If I might say a USGI Poncho Liner (blanket) was a great item of gear in my 30-years as an Infantry Soldier.

BTY, glad you have work gloves. Folks forget that they will be doing a ton of manual labor!

MossyMilDot said:
Great pics OP.

You have a great BOB set up. If I might say a USGI Poncho Liner (blanket) was a great item of gear in my 30-years as an Infantry Soldier.

BTY, glad you have work gloves. Folks forget that they will be doing a ton of manual labor!

Agreed. The old poncho liners are a pretty good value. I spent a fair number of nights shivering under mine while pulling guard duty in a variety of cold, windswept locations. :mrgreen:

Mudinyeri said:
MossyMilDot said:
Great pics OP.

Agreed. The old poncho liners are a pretty good value. I spent a fair number of nights shivering under mine while pulling guard duty in a variety of cold, windswept locations. :mrgreen:

Cold weather is a great teacher!

I keep a GHB behind the back seat of my CCPU.
15rnd G19 mags, x2
Pair of socks
Gloves
Small first aid kit (that probably needs some attention)
Surefire G2 with extra batteries
rayovac 3-in-1 headlamp with two extra sets of 3x AAA batteries
2 bottles of water
Food (couple bags of tuna, granola bars, couple lipton/knorr noodle packets)
Gerber Multi-tool
Buck small Nighthawk
Silcock key
2x bic lighters, vaselined cotton ball tinder
1 $20 bill, 2x $5 bills, 10x $1 bills
**ETA**- 10'x10' piece of heavy plastic sheeting, 100 feet of 550 cord (figuring it could be used for a makeshift shelter)

This is for my daily drive to and from work, 17 miles each way. If we're going up into the mountains, I throw a long gun in the truck with appropriate mags/ammo. Of course, more people= more supplies (food/water).

Along with my EDC stuff, I think I'm pretty well prepared to make my way home from my daily running around.

I have been working on my BOBs for the last two months. Still not done yet, but getting there.
Here is mine. It is a SOC (Sandpiper of California) Bug Out Bag. Shopped around, really liked this one for the price. Seems very well made.
8193447663_25eed523fa_z.jpg

Here is the main compartment. Most loose items are in a water tight container.
8194527978_01e4e8d4f2_z.jpg

Middle compartment
8194524876_3f175cc94a_z.jpg

Front compartment. Flashlight is solar charged, with litium battery backup. Holds charge for 3 years. Also a small leatherman in the sheath to the left.
8193442689_c54612737b_z.jpg

Here is my bag next to my wifes. It is a VISM by NcStar.
8194560288_096dc2f8a9_z.jpg

Have a Condor H2O pouch on order. Still planning on a Molle First Aid pouch, along with a shell holder.

I came across some advice on BOB's and one thing really hit home with me. In a $hit hits the fan situation, the best thing you can do is not look like the most prepared person out there. Especially when it comes to televising weapons you are carrying. That would mean keeping all knives inside or concealed instead of attached to the bag. I know it doesn't look as cool, but if the government is still in charge, and they will be at least in the begining, they will be looking for the individuals carrying at any checkpoints and disarm them. Another recommendation was to keep all military and firearms patches off bags and stick with standard solid colors so as to look like a standard civilian carrying hiking gear. He also recommended a sportsteam baseball hat instead of a NRA or military style hat and no camo clothing.

In a bugout situation you want to look as dopey and useless as possible to the average passerby. Tacticool has its place but in a bugout situation keeping the eyes off you is better.

Compass, Magnesium fire starters, matches, knife sharpener, Tape, Chapstick, hemorroid cream, antifungal cream, tools for what you need, Ka bar, Hatchet, tarp, pancho, trash bags, clothing, sewing kit, super glue, long term food, water purrification, medical supplies, batteries, ammo, gun cleaner and oil, hydration pack or bottle, rope, paracord, zip ties, tent posts, bear mace, sleeping bag, flashlight, gloves, binoculars, floss, fire starting material.

Im sure Im forgetting stuff but, in a nutshell, the least of each needed to lighten the load. And toilet paper, and maybe baby whipes cuz man if my but stays sweaty for a long time I dont want a rash or chafing.

Throw some quick clot, trauma patches, a tourniquet, and liquid morphine in the medkit for just such an occasion.

Back